Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining room Cooling - page 2. (Read 928 times)

Activity: 420
Merit: 184
January 21, 2018, 07:20:03 PM
Good advice so far, I would just add that there are two components to cooling things like this (I'm an EE that specializes in power electronics for my day job so I have some relevant experience): first is to remove heat from the cards themselves, which requires fans blowing directly on them - either at the rear or the top - and second is to remove heat from the room, which requires an intake vent and exhaust fan separated as far apart from each other as possible. Ideally, the room ventilation should cause air to flow diagonally from floor to ceiling, crossing over the miners along the way.

Activity: 463
Merit: 301
January 21, 2018, 07:17:28 PM
So  op buys  a second rack  rolls it against the intake

then tarps it
                                                     >   exhaust

equipment  rack   < air tunnel rack   < intake window
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 21, 2018, 07:13:13 PM
he has intake and exhaust on same wall

intake  must be lower

exhaust must not  suck  intake  up and out

@ op is this close to what is happening?

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597
January 21, 2018, 07:11:03 PM
maybe a stupid idea Smiley but im going to give a try for this soon Smiley
"zero-electricity air cooler made from plastic bottles"
if i can lower the "incoming air" temp just with 5C during peak summer heat , that would be a great help Smiley
Activity: 349
Merit: 102
January 21, 2018, 07:03:52 PM
All the hot air is probably stuck in top of the room. While the fan is pulling fresh air in from outside it will stay near the floor and not forcing out the hot air trapped above. So you're heating the room slowly from the top down. The rigs mostly being higher up in the the shelving will increase this effect.

You could probably improve things a bit by moving the rigs as low on the shelves as possible. But that will make access harder and they'll get more dust near the floor too.

First I'd say try extending the ducting and relocating the fan to extract the stale hot air from the top of the room as quickly as possible:

If that works you could even make a rough 'hood' to increase the exhaust area and catch as much of the air rising directly above the shelving as possible. You could also try changing the location of the fan along the ducting to see where it pulls the best.

If you can add another exterior vent for the exhaust then you could keep the existing intake and might get it working like this:

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 21, 2018, 06:54:43 PM
Great name for heat issues.

How many cards do you have and how many watts?

How much cfm for the exhaust fan?

I see at least 50. Cards.

So if they are 1080ti. You are 10000 watts

That needs at least 3000 cfm.

Lower the intake and make an awning over it.

I will find a photo.

Activity: 97
Merit: 10
January 21, 2018, 04:59:47 PM
I am trying to work on a new strategy to cool my rigs. As usual I start down a path and it just isnt working as effectively as I would like it to. Things were working out alright when I was able to pull in -10C intake air from outside. Today it is 17C outside and it just isnt cutting it. It seems like there are two main approaches to take. You can contain the airflow to carefully direct it through all the cards or circulate so much air in the room that it doesnt matter. I figured I would post a few pics and see what suggestions others had.

Front of the rack, I was thinking of taking the rigs apart so I can space the cards out a bit more. Seems like if I could give them a bit more air space heat may be less of an issue

View of the rear of the rack and exhaust fan. I was planning on maybe upgrading this to a 24" fan that moves x4 air. As well as maybe putting an intake below that and ducting it to the other side of the room I have also considered putting some 30" warehouse fans behind the rack to move air through things better.

This is my current exhaust/intake. It seems that I have better luck when this fan is being used as an intake

Pages:
Jump to: