Pages:
Author

Topic: Mises on BitCoin - page 3. (Read 5906 times)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10
February 12, 2011, 11:30:43 PM
The value of BitCoins will be limited to:

1. The future infrastructure to deal with the massive number of potential transactions.
2. The security of personal computers.

If these two things can be overcome, BitCoins could theoretically replace the current currencies.  If not, BitCoin will be relegated to the fringe.

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1080
February 12, 2011, 10:00:13 PM
Myself, I believe the inherent value of gold is the fact that no one can manufacture it out of thin air (yes, they can mine it, but there are significant costs to that), it can be traded anonymously, relatively small amounts of it have a high value (which is due to its scarcity on earth), and it has world wide marketability.  It does have some value as a conductor and jewelry, but I believe that is insignificant relative to its value as a money.  I believe BTC has these same monetary attributes and hence I believe the view of this poster (that a money needs some tangible asset backing) is incorrect.  I am curious what people here think.

Well, I just think exactly the same.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
February 12, 2011, 07:05:32 PM
So if the NYT's runs an op-ed about bitcoin and the author estimates more than 10K people using it at any given time period, you when?  How could you lose, is there a time limit?  Does the Mayberry Register qualify, or TheBlaze.com?  I could esimate that more than 10K people have used bitcoins for something since Jan 2009 right now.

10,000 people by 2015.
vip
Activity: 447
Merit: 258
February 12, 2011, 05:07:57 PM
Myself, I believe the inherent value of gold is the fact that no one can manufacture it out of thin air (yes, they can mine it, but there are significant costs to that), it can be traded anonymously, relatively small amounts of it have a high value (which is due to its scarcity on earth), and it has world wide marketability.  It does have some value as a conductor and jewelry, but I believe that is insignificant relative to its value as a money.

This is one of the best descriptions I've ever read about the value of gold as a currency.  Thank you.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
February 12, 2011, 03:43:53 PM
How is "success" defined for this wager?

10,000 people using it. Media coverage said or perhaps estimate.

So if the NYT's runs an op-ed about bitcoin and the author estimates more than 10K people using it at any given time period, you when?  How could you lose, is there a time limit?  Does the Mayberry Register qualify, or TheBlaze.com?  I could esimate that more than 10K people have used bitcoins for something since Jan 2009 right now.
legendary
February 12, 2011, 02:21:18 PM

10,000 people using it. Media coverage said or perhaps estimate.
donator
Activity: 826
Merit: 1060
February 12, 2011, 02:03:33 PM

It's a success if kiba can one day sell the $500 worth of BTC that he bought for more than $500.00 :-)
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
February 12, 2011, 02:03:00 PM
If something doesn't have use value it can't bootstrap to having trade value.

Oh wait, nevermind Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
February 12, 2011, 02:01:28 PM
I made a 500 dollars bet on the success of the bitcoin economy.

legendary
February 12, 2011, 12:54:15 PM
I made a 500 dollars bet on the success of the bitcoin economy.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1008
February 12, 2011, 12:49:02 PM
Someone on the Mises Institute forum had this to say about BitCoin:

"One day, while I was learning about cipherspace, I discovered BitCoin.  BitCoin is a completely decentralized, anonymous online monetary system that relies on a distributed database to facilitate transactions.  The creator put a great deal of effort into ensuring that the system is secure and reliable.  Unfortunately, there are no real assets backing he currency of BitCoin (and no coercive government backing it either).  Thus ends BitCoin."

(url to the post is here: http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/9853.aspx)

Myself, I believe the inherent value of gold is the fact that no one can manufacture it out of thin air (yes, they can mine it, but there are significant costs to that), it can be traded anonymously, relatively small amounts of it have a high value (which is due to its scarcity on earth), and it has world wide marketability.  It does have some value as a conductor and jewelry, but I believe that is insignificant relative to its value as a money.  I believe BTC has these same monetary attributes and hence I believe the view of this poster (that a money needs some tangible asset backing) is incorrect.  I am curious what people here think.
Pages:
Jump to: