Pages:
Author

Topic: Money is the Essence of Remorse. - page 2. (Read 2280 times)

Activity: 2170
Merit: 530
May 24, 2021, 03:27:24 AM
Honestly, I think the best way to be "happy" with regards to money is to learn to live within your means, whatever those means are.  If you make $20,000 a year, spend less than $20,000 a year.  If you make $200,000 a year, spend less than $200,000 a year.  Work towards paying off any debt you have, and living debt-free the rest of your life.

Most "wealthy" people only get stressed by money because they mismanage it.  They see a higher paycheck, and instead of working on paying down their current mortgage, they take out a bigger mortgage on a better house, start spending more on their credit cards because they can just pay it off later, etc.  Then, when they lose their job, or they have to take a decrease in pay, they realize they've screwed themselves, and that's when the real stress begins.

Believe me, I've been there, done that.

So, learn to always spend less than your income, to save up for your big purchases instead of taking out loans for them, and to live debt-free.  Then, when and if you do make $200k, you can have a hearty laugh at all your neighbors making the same amount, but somehow struggling to make ends meet, while you have a surplus of $15k+ a month.  And if you only make $20k the rest of your life, you can still live happily being focused on other things besides how you'll pay this month's credit card bill.

that's true, when you start to mismanage the flow of cash that comes to you is the main source of stress. if you spend your money wisely, you wont have to feel like you're just "chasing" money and live from pay check to pay check (this is of course if youre earning above the base quantity required for basic human necessities) its also wise to keep track of your expenses and try to avoid impulsive splurging of money right when you get paid.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
May 09, 2012, 03:41:16 PM
i predict that those who need to compare themselves with any neighbors never will feel bliss.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
May 07, 2012, 02:39:10 PM
Honestly, I think the best way to be "happy" with regards to money is to learn to live within your means, whatever those means are.  If you make $20,000 a year, spend less than $20,000 a year.  If you make $200,000 a year, spend less than $200,000 a year.  Work towards paying off any debt you have, and living debt-free the rest of your life.

Most "wealthy" people only get stressed by money because they mismanage it.  They see a higher paycheck, and instead of working on paying down their current mortgage, they take out a bigger mortgage on a better house, start spending more on their credit cards because they can just pay it off later, etc.  Then, when they lose their job, or they have to take a decrease in pay, they realize they've screwed themselves, and that's when the real stress begins.

Believe me, I've been there, done that.

So, learn to always spend less than your income, to save up for your big purchases instead of taking out loans for them, and to live debt-free.  Then, when and if you do make $200k, you can have a hearty laugh at all your neighbors making the same amount, but somehow struggling to make ends meet, while you have a surplus of $15k+ a month.  And if you only make $20k the rest of your life, you can still live happily being focused on other things besides how you'll pay this month's credit card bill.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
May 07, 2012, 02:31:25 PM
I'd say more is needed for comfort not happiness.
Happiness comes from positive human relationships.
Activity: 197
Merit: 100
May 07, 2012, 06:58:27 AM
Happiness and money obey a law of diminishing returns. Its pretty clear where you need to be on this graph. If youre too far out the graph, youre flogging a dead horse.

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
May 07, 2012, 01:35:34 AM
This forum is completely based upon money (obviously). Sure, money is great for exchanging things, and is much more efficient than ever. But why does the lot of the world spend their entire existences pursuing money? Well, some believe money is the only way one can attain happiness. But with money comes stresses, and without money comes more stresses. So I'm asking what you think the best way to attain this true happiness is. I'm pretty young, and I really don't want to "get stuck", or grow up running after money then asking myself what the hell I've been doing all my life. The human existence in this universe is minuscule, and I think we should all do our best to make it count, whether you spend your time bettering yourself or others.

Live your life according to your heart.  Do not allow others to control you with fear.  Bless everyone you see and you will be blessed.

That said, it's really hard.  I know I can be headstrong or fearful, and sometimes I curse those around me when they cause me grief while I'm already stressed.

There are no shortcuts without hard work, and anyone offering one is either lying for their own gain, or oversimplifying.  Just study life, keep your eyes open, and be grateful for every breath.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
May 07, 2012, 01:21:43 AM
This forum is completely based upon money (obviously). Sure, money is great for exchanging things, and is much more efficient than ever. But why does the lot of the world spend their entire existences pursuing money? Well, some believe money is the only way one can attain happiness. But with money comes stresses, and without money comes more stresses. So I'm asking what you think the best way to attain this true happiness is. I'm pretty young, and I really don't want to "get stuck", or grow up running after money then asking myself what the hell I've been doing all my life. The human existence in this universe is minuscule, and I think we should all do our best to make it count, whether you spend your time bettering yourself or others.
Pages:
Jump to: