Pages:
Author

Topic: Monkeys trading rocks - page 2. (Read 1097 times)

legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 2148
August 05, 2017, 10:41:53 PM

Can we really replace it with a new "peoples currency" where the top 1% owns 69% of the world's currency supply, in a currency that perpetually rises in value? Aren't we, in a round about way, solving zero issues by creating the same problems we intended to fix in the first place?

If you don't like it, feel free to create your own commie-coin and airdrop it to all people equally and see how it goes. Or create some UBI coin that will be stealing coins from top addresses and paying them to every wallet in the network. Feel free to experiment, comrade.

What gives something the perception of value, and why should I trust that tomorrow it will still be perceived as valuable? It's all subjective, "the flavor of the week" if you will.

At the end of the day, I'm starting to feel like we are all just monkeys arbitrarily trading rocks with eachother.

Congratulations, you have just invented the suvjected theory of value.
Activity: 697
Merit: 520
August 05, 2017, 10:41:36 PM
At the end of the day, I'm starting to feel like we are all just monkeys arbitrarily trading rocks with eachother.

Very true. But the more important question is, why this rock, rather than that rock? Gold may be limited, but no one knows just how limited. And its general use by populations for store of value and jewelry far surpasses the industrial needs for it.

People are definitely realizing, collectively, that fiat currencies are threatening their future wealth and retirement funds. The next question, then, is which "rock" is next? Will things like gold and oil continue to rule the world, or is Bitcoin going to become a new contender? Or perhaps some other cryptocurrency? I do sometimes wonder what some of the brilliant Core devs might do if they moved on from Bitcoin...
Activity: 279
Merit: 250
August 05, 2017, 10:06:52 PM
Thank you gentlemen for the kind words, I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees things this way. This is something that I've thought about for a long time.

There are alot of things that make zero sense about the current financial state of our world, yet as they say "markets can stay irrational for longer than you can remain solvent".

We'd literally need to overhaul from the ground up, but since I am monkey after all, I honestly can't treally think of a better solution to solve these problems. At the end of the day, it will never make sense to create value out of nothing, or to create a "placeholder" for value that is used for trade.

I often wonder where people think the value to bitcoin comes from, the best answer I can come up with is "2 people decided on a price, other's accepted that as a real trade and made their own trades accordingly, and we keep playing off eachother from there" haha.

A decent idea for a fiat replacement is to have a currency that represents the current top 12 most traded commodities on the market. If one commodity on the list has less volume for a certain amount of time than another commodity, it will be removed from the list and replaced with another commodity in the top 12 volume list. This would make it so each piece of paper you own actually represents something of ACTUAL value to society, which can be traded in at any point for it's portion of the top 12 traded commodities.  Of course, this has it's own issues, mainly that it will cause artificial supply & demand because people will do arbitrage.

This could in theory create a stable currency, because traders will constantly exploit arbitrage opportunities so the currency represents the current market value of the list of commodities... It's also much harder to manipulate 12 things instead of just one (gold, bitcoin, etc). On the flip side, (same argument is being made about ETFs on the stock exchanges), it could cause higher volatility and large flash crashes because if one commodity drops, it's in the currency holders best interest to buy the 12 commodities and trade it into 1 piece of currency and sell it for market price until the currency's price reflects the true market value of it's commodity counterparts.

There is no easy answer basically, everything can be rigged some how lol. I'm surprised the founding fathers figured out half the shit they did +100 years ago, that's a feat i tell you what, especially since the vast majority still is very relevant to today's world.

You get a cookie. Two cookies, what the hell, its the weekend. Gotta let my hair down.

Cookies would make a good currency, they'd definitely be more in demand than supply eh haha.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048
August 05, 2017, 09:43:38 PM
What gives something value...? Some things are easy.

Land: we all need a place to live
Water: we need it to survive
Food: also needed to survive
Oil: we need it to run our rolling monkey-mobiles so we can get to the stores to buy the other things on the list above

But somethings aren't as clear cut...

Gold: Sure we can argue it's used in technology, but it was valuable for 1000's of years. Why? It's rare, yes, but what are u going to do with it??? lol
Currency: It's a piece of paper with a stamp on it that says "hey, trust us, this is legal tender now and is now magically worth something because we say so"

Sure, we can't really go back to the barter system, currency makes trade much easier. Before, if you grew corn but the guy selling beans didn't need corn, you would have to trade for something else the guy with beans wanted. Currency helps streamline this transaction, it is a necessary evil, but why is it that us humans are so quick to assume something has value even when it clearly has no value? (other than to maybe warm your family Pablo Escobar style)

The top 1% supposedly owns 80% of the world's currency supply, in a currency that perpetually moves down in value.

Can we really replace it with a new "peoples currency" where the top 1% owns 69% of the world's currency supply, in a currency that perpetually rises in value? Aren't we, in a round about way, solving zero issues by creating the same problems we intended to fix in the first place?

What gives something the perception of value, and why should I trust that tomorrow it will still be perceived as valuable? It's all subjective, "the flavor of the week" if you will.

(ancient stone currency)

(monkeys trading rocks)

This is the majority of whats fucked about financial policy right now, to a tee. Bravo good sir. you have hit the nail squarely on its head, so to speak.

specifically associating this with bitcoin, yes, there is absolutely no basis of what provides bitcoin value. I just railed about this in another thread (im on fire today) but the issue still stands. This shit is so much light and sparkles. The price of bitcoin is what the majority of 15-21 year old traders want it to be, we are reaching a price consensus in a market with a majority of inexperienced traders. it shows. show me a real world asset like BCC, for example. 10 bil popped into being overnight, persisted for about 48 hours, and crumbled to dust. thing are ephemeral in this sphere, it is truly 'here today, gone tomorrow".

You get a cookie. Two cookies, what the hell, its the weekend. Gotta let my hair down.
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
August 05, 2017, 09:31:08 PM
So this is how you are seeing the crypto world with those on the exchanges trading their rocks ? aka. alt coins.

Very intriguing way to look at it really. Undecided
Activity: 279
Merit: 250
August 05, 2017, 08:56:24 PM
What gives something value...? Some things are easy.

Land: we all need a place to live
Water: we need it to survive
Food: also needed to survive
Oil: we need it to run our rolling monkey-mobiles so we can get to the stores to buy the other things on the list above

But some things aren't as clear cut...

Gold: Sure we can argue it's used in technology, but it was valuable for 1000's of years. Why? It's rare, yes, but what are u going to do with it??? lol
Currency: It's a piece of paper with a stamp on it that says "hey, trust us, this is legal tender now and is now magically worth something because we say so"

Sure, we can't really go back to the barter system, currency makes trade much easier. Before, if you grew corn but the guy selling beans didn't need corn, you would have to trade for something else the guy with beans wanted. Currency helps streamline this transaction, it is a necessary evil, but why is it that us humans are so quick to assume something has value even when it clearly has no value? (other than to maybe warm your family Pablo Escobar style)

The top 1% supposedly owns 80% of the world's currency supply, in a currency that perpetually moves down in value.

(ancient stone currency)

(monkeys trading rocks)

Pages:
Jump to: