Pages:
Author

Topic: Moral Dilemma. ATM machine gave me $600 instead of $500. Should I call bank? - page 2. (Read 12484 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1006
100 satoshis -> ISO code
If the machine is faulty then loads of other customers will also be getting free money and it will soon be reported to the bank. They will check through the list of accounts which had withdrawals during the period and will try to verify each entry. You might get contacted, and then the question of volunteering to return the extra can't be avoided.

A credit union sounds like a small institution owned by its members so it is morally better to report what happened.
If it was a one of the primary dealer bankster banks (BoA, JPM, HSBC etc) then let them figure it out first as they have wrecked so many lives with their shady financial practices, they are morally bankrupt anyway.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Oh man that sounds like a trap, be absolutely fucking careful, check things more carefully, have the charged you extra for withdrawing the money? Have they decided to put you on overdraft for the day? Honestly, I would normally go, fuck the banks because they get whatever they want from central banks anyway but you may want to check this with them. Or you could be sneaky and just double check their terms of service and all the usual data to see if any of this is mentioned.

Well,  I checked my account online and the $500 was shown as withdrawn.  The receipt the ATM gave me was for only $500 too.   We have enough money in the acccount that if they wanted to take the $200 back now they could without any overdraft issues.  I am not sure how they would know who got the extra cash though?  If the counter is broken and the receipt shows only $500 what can they do?  Can they legally take more from me?  I am not even sure they can if they cannot prove it.

Not first case. Keep the receipt, dont approve you got 600 and they cant do much unless the camera can show the 600 if you counted money in front of ATM.
In any way dont abuse it trying withdraw again soon

I did not count the cash in front of the ATM.  I guess it will start looking fishy if I keep going back everyday. We will be gone for 2 weeks so by the time we are back I am sure the glitch will be fixed.  Oh well. 
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Oh man that sounds like a trap, be absolutely fucking careful, check things more carefully, have the charged you extra for withdrawing the money? Have they decided to put you on overdraft for the day? Honestly, I would normally go, fuck the banks because they get whatever they want from central banks anyway but you may want to check this with them. Or you could be sneaky and just double check their terms of service and all the usual data to see if any of this is mentioned.

Well,  I checked my account online and the $500 was shown as withdrawn.  The receipt the ATM gave me was for only $500 too.   We have enough money in the acccount that if they wanted to take the $200 back now they could without any overdraft issues.  I am not sure how they would know who got the extra cash though?  If the counter is broken and the receipt shows only $500 what can they do?  Can they legally take more from me?  I am not even sure they can if they cannot prove it.

Not first case. Keep the receipt, dont approve you got 600 and they cant do much unless the camera can show the 600 if you counted money in front of ATM.
In any way dont abuse it trying withdraw again soon
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

I was with Halifax here in the UK and they had the the cheek to put me on overdraft because a transaction hadn't gone through yet but I know I was completely in the green, after that I switched. I just left my account there, what's amazing is they're still trying to sell me credit cards through the posts too >_< don't trust a thing they do, I have heard stories about how people have accidentally gotten money through bank error though.

I've grown a lot more paranoid lately thanks to all the intelligence leaks lol Cheesy
legendary
OK, This is not related to Bitcoin but I was getting some cash out for a vacation.  Yesterday I withdrew the largest amount I could per day, $500.  The wad the machine gave me seemed a little thick.  I did not count it until I got home and the bank (Credit Union in this case) gave me $600.  My receipt says $500 and when I check my account online it says only $500 has been taken from my account.  I went back again today because I thought perhaps I was losing my mind and I actually had more cash in my wallet then I thought and wanted to make sure that it really happened.  It happened again!

So what do I do?  Do I keep going everyday and make an easy $100?  Do I call the credit union?  Are they legally allowed to withdraw the extra money from my account?  Will it show up somehow that they gave me $600 instead of $500 even though my receipt says $500?

Seriously,  I might feel a little guilty but part of me is happy to get some free cash.  Sad but true. Wink  It might be a great way to buy more Bitcoin anyways.  Or should I take the higher moral road and call the bank?  I am erring on the side of withdrawing more.

Pages:
Jump to: