Pages:
Author

Topic: Mozilla says they'll accept Bitcoin & crypto donations - page 3. (Read 654 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18588
I may sound a bit harsh/extreme, but some privacy conscious users may even wait for Monero.
Well, that's true to an extent. However, if I really want to donate to Mozilla and I already own some Monero, then it is fairly easy to almost completely anonymously convert that Monero in to Bitcoin and to send it to a Bitcoin address. That becomes almost impossible when a unnecessary third party intermediary requires you to make an account and verify your identity with them first, though.

I really don't understand why they have gone down the BitPay route. If you look at other software, sites, and services which privacy conscious users might use - Tor, Tails, Qubes, EFF, Prism Break, etc. - all simply provide a donation address. Mozilla are bigger than all of these. There is no way they don't have someone who could set up a BTCPay server or similar.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
The Twitter thread is full of replies of people saying they will move to Chrome because Mozilla are endorsing cryptocurrencies. If a browser which you can use to protect your privacy endorsing a currency which you can use to protect your privacy is enough to make you use actual literal spyware instead, then apart from being a moron you really don't care if they are using a third party or a self hosted solution. I wonder why all these Twitter morons who are going to switch browser over this haven't also switched social network, since you know, Twitter endorses Bitcoin now. Lol.

Business as usual. No matter the name under it. I didn't even expect such a response. But you're right. I can't say more than "Morons, morons everywhere" Wink

It's a shame, though, because Mozilla will get no donations from privacy conscious users until they stop using BitPay.

I may sound a bit harsh/extreme, but some privacy conscious users may even wait for Monero.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18588
And since the average Joe doesn't know nor care about all privacy implications
This. The Twitter thread is full of replies of people saying they will move to Chrome because Mozilla are endorsing cryptocurrencies. If a browser which you can use to protect your privacy endorsing a currency which you can use to protect your privacy is enough to make you use actual literal spyware instead, then apart from being a moron you really don't care if they are using a third party or a self hosted solution. I wonder why all these Twitter morons who are going to switch browser over this haven't also switched social network, since you know, Twitter endorses Bitcoin now. Lol.

It's a shame, though, because Mozilla will get no donations from privacy conscious users until they stop using BitPay.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
They talked about Dogecoin first. Angry Angry
For what it's worth, that's not the case with their "FAQ/Wiki" page Smiley

Overall, it's a good move.
I'm having mixed feelings about this... They didn't even bother to generate a proper donation button from BitPay [SMH]: Screenshot

Well I guess we know one person who is going to be happy about this...and his name is Elon Musk.
That clown is going to have the time of his life when he returns from his short break.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1049
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
They talked about Dogecoin first.
Well I guess we know one person who is going to be happy about this...and his name is Elon Musk.
They just got a new loyal fan on Firefox browser, until something else draws his attention.

The downside is that they accept payments using BitPay, I don't know but I think Mozilla is big enough to have developers running a full node of the company.
All this years and just now they come up with an idea to accept Bitcoin and other crypto donations  Tongue
Maybe that is one of the reasons why google chrome have huge market share compared to firefox browser, but I still like them more than chrome.
Instead of using Bitpay they should start using BTCPayServer, run their own node, and accept donations on their own terms.  

Elon would be happy to donate Doge for them.
even the Linux developers page actaully doesn't have some of the BTC donation options. they are the first that i thought would go all-in for crypto since they are the community with so much concern for privacy. but i'm guessing they are avoiding disagreements from sponsors just like Mozilla.

mozilla team could really run a full node, have a wallet of their own for LN, it's not gonna be hard for them to catch up since many people uses firefox.

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
They talked about Dogecoin first.
They just got a new loyal fan on Firefox browser, until something else draws his attention.

The downside is that they accept payments using BitPay, I don't know but I think Mozilla is big enough to have developers running a full node of the company.
All this years and just now they come up with an idea to accept Bitcoin and other crypto donations  Tongue
Maybe that is one of the reasons why google chrome have huge market share compared to firefox browser, but I still like them more than chrome.
Instead of using Bitpay they should start using BTCPayServer, run their own node, and accept donations on their own terms.  
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
they definitely have time to setup self-hosted BTCPay.

Yeah, just I expect they only care of fiat, which BitPay will give them without any complications.
And since the average Joe doesn't know nor care about all privacy implications, I feel like this is a manifest of trust in Bitcoin, hence an extra point for Bitcoin. So I agree with OP: it's a good move.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 3845
Paldo.io 🤖
They're receiving so much hate in the Tweet replies because of this lmao.

Don't read too much into this. Tongue I'm guessing it's highly likely they did this to potentially get more impressions from retweets from angry Bitcoiners.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
We have more adoptions here:

Dabble in
@dogecoin
? HODLing some #Bitcoin & #Ethereum?

We’re using
@BitPay
 to accept donations in #cryptocurrency

Source ---> https://twitter.com/mozilla/status/1476951030638260225?s=20

Overall, it's a good move.
Pages:
Jump to: