Pages:
Author

Topic: MTGOX ordering DDOS ATTACKS!?!?!?!!? - page 2. (Read 5299 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
October 27, 2012, 01:32:39 AM
Just now on BTC-E support has come back online and said they were told MTGOX is behind the DDOS attacks on BTC-E right now.

COMMENTS?!

What? Pictures?

Ah, lol, found it myself:
https://i.imgur.com/0LXum.jpg
I've been avoiding this thread based on its title, and finally decided to peek in before going to bed. I am happy I did, and can go to sleep laughing. This is priceless.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.
October 27, 2012, 01:12:58 AM
That's one hell of an accusation to make without evidence, and making it without proving it can only damage BTC-e's reputation.

Explain yourself BTC-e support.
Seriously, that could be grounds for a lawsuit under slander/libel.

Yes it could.  That is an extremely serious allegation.  

Edit:  But we don't have the entire conversation.  Support could have said:  "All these rumors about the DDOS need to stop."  And the question could have been asked:  "What is the rumor that is going around?"  And support could have replied: "mtgox ordered it."

One screenshot can be taken completely out of context. 
legendary
Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
October 27, 2012, 01:09:00 AM

heh - thanks for this nice story from Gibson.. I love that guy scince 1999 Smiley   This link was such a pleasure to read.. Thanks You MPOE-PR !
Activity: 868
October 26, 2012, 08:34:03 PM
Folks, a semi-competent script kiddie can drop a billion IP packets on the internet directed to btc-e (for example) with any "from" address you want (like mt-gox).  All the responses will go to the "from" address... so its pretty useless for everything except DDOS attacks.  Smart routers might drop the packets, but I guess not in this case.

This is the most likely explanation...

The thing is that anyone competent would know that.  The fact that BTC-e support is accusing MtGox of organising a DDOS against them rather than assuming that it's just a script kiddie using the MtGox address for shit and giggles makes me question the technical knowledge and competence of BTC-e staff.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
LTC
October 26, 2012, 08:23:21 PM
Folks, a semi-competent script kiddie can drop a billion IP packets on the internet directed to btc-e (for example) with any "from" address you want (like mt-gox).  All the responses will go to the "from" address... so its pretty useless for everything except DDOS attacks.  Smart routers might drop the packets, but I guess not in this case.

Yeah, ofc, still, I guess btc-e wouldn't launch such a rumor without some solid intel.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010
October 26, 2012, 08:09:13 PM
Folks, a semi-competent script kiddie can drop a billion IP packets on the internet directed to btc-e (for example) with any "from" address you want (like mt-gox).  All the responses will go to the "from" address... so its pretty useless for everything except DDOS attacks.  Smart routers might drop the packets, but I guess not in this case.

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
October 26, 2012, 06:37:02 PM
Down again?

Edit: NVM
Activity: 126
Web Programmer, Gamer
October 26, 2012, 06:36:59 PM
MtGox have like the biggest customer base and I see no reason for them to do that.
Wouldn't btc-e have to prove it with images showing ip address of an attacker?

Hard to believe that industry leader will order ddos attack agains competitor with turnouts 20 time smaller. BTC-e has reason to order ddos-atack against MtGox, hoping that some customers will use then as alternative, but not vice versa. So I suppose support was really on drugs) or mistyped somehow))
it would be funny if someone actually got drunk "sorry for the false accusation, one of the employees had a little bit to much".
Activity: 870
Merit: 500
Trading will make me rich)
October 26, 2012, 06:27:35 PM
Hard to believe that industry leader will order ddos attack agains competitor with turnouts 20 time smaller. BTC-e has reason to order ddos-atack against MtGox, hoping that some customers will use then as alternative, but not vice versa. So I suppose support was really on drugs) or mistyped somehow))
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
October 26, 2012, 05:25:27 PM
Tell them that you can configure the max connections per ip variable on nginx and its one line of config.
legendary
Activity: 916
Merit: 1003
October 26, 2012, 05:09:08 PM
God I love this place.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
October 26, 2012, 05:07:19 PM
That's one hell of an accusation to make without evidence, and making it without proving it can only damage BTC-e's reputation.

Seriously, that could be grounds for a lawsuit under slander/libel.
Activity: 868
October 26, 2012, 04:49:50 PM

Activity: 784
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
October 26, 2012, 04:30:41 PM
"Oh, those Russians!" Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
October 26, 2012, 04:29:49 PM
Tinfoilhat area imo.

But either way, it's disappointing that this community still hasn't outgrown these kind of things, if it is an actual attack or a false accusation either way.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
LTC
October 26, 2012, 04:28:37 PM
Thanks for posting the pics. It's their support saying it, so.....

YW, luckily I had one tab open on BTC-e.
Activity: 238
October 26, 2012, 04:27:44 PM
BTC-e support has to be joking right? Would Mtgox really order a ddos against them?

Unless someone has control over the BTC-e server...
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
October 26, 2012, 04:26:13 PM
Just now on BTC-E support has come back online and said they were told MTGOX is behind the DDOS attacks on BTC-E right now.

COMMENTS?!

What? Pictures?

Ah, lol, found it myself:
http://i.imgur.com/0LXum.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics. It's their support saying it, so.....
Pages:
Jump to: