Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 169. (Read 908613 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
February 07, 2014, 07:28:51 PM
Here's a way this may play out on Monday.

Gox had 40,000 Bitcoins stuck in their withdrawal queue. On Monday, they will have zero, because they are cancelling withdrawals and crediting amounts back to customer accounts within Gox. That's already happening.

This allows them to begin a new round of jerking customers around. All their customers will have to resubmit their withdrawals. Gox then has lots of ways to stall them - they can request reverification of customer identity, claim the destination Bitcoin address is invalid, and such. They've done all of those things before. Then they can stall on moving transactions through states of "pending" to "processed", which they've also stalled on before. Then they can process the outgoing queue slowly, which they've done before.

Meanwhile, the usual Gox shills will be saying "everything is fine now", to discourage people from doing withdrawals. This may buy Gox another month. 

legendary
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
February 07, 2014, 07:09:45 PM
Anyone interested in my BTC for an internal gox transfer? I have quite a good chuck and will offer 10% discount on whatever the price is at the time of trade.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
February 07, 2014, 06:55:34 PM
FBI seized most of the coins/money....
In that case it is on public record, and should be easy to prove.  So, do you have proof, or are you just another manipulator or useful idiot?

I guess your claims the other day that you couldn't prove makes you an idiot as well? Or just a shill?

legendary
Activity: 1437
https://bitmynt.no
February 07, 2014, 06:46:30 PM
In that case it is on public record, and should be easy to prove.  So, do you have proof, or are you just another manipulator or useful idiot?
Activity: 644
Merit: 250
February 07, 2014, 06:45:48 PM
Mt Gox plays:
legendary
February 07, 2014, 06:43:39 PM
I have a 5 figure amount SEPA withdrawal pending since 17 January and will let you all know when I receive that money.
They are probably processing SEPA withdrawal of the first weeks of January now so I am expecting to have to wait 3 more weeks.
I'm in the same boat with a transaction confirmed on the 20th, similar amount. If they'd stick to their claim, processing is due on the Tuesday. If not, scam spilled over to SEPA. Where do EUR funds reside? Poland afair?
MtGox are very open about their SEPA delays and the reason for the delays.  Last time I heard they were processing SEPA withdrawals from January 1st.  If people have been as busy withdrawing via SEPA as via domestic JPY during the new year holidays, it will take about four days to process each day of SEPA withdrawals due to the daily limit (which has been confirmed by their bank).  We may not be further than to the 3rd at the end of next week.  I am hoping for better progress than that, of course.  I have one confirmed since January 4th myself.
legendary
February 07, 2014, 06:30:32 PM
The financial press is [...]
...a useless bag of purchased prostitute rags.
Where is the +1 button?
legendary
February 07, 2014, 06:29:33 PM
Your "OMG THEY R GOIN DOWN" theories are based on speculation just as much as my "everything's gonna be alright eventually, be patient" theory.
It seems pretty logical that they're going to go down sooner or later as they cannot sustain their current business practises.
Why don't you put some of your money on it, if it is logical?  Interestingly a large majority says NO, at least for 2014.
Activity: 364
American1973
February 07, 2014, 06:02:17 PM
The financial press is [...]

...a useless bag of purchased prostitute rags.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
February 07, 2014, 05:59:08 PM
The financial press is picking up this story:

"Bitcoin Price Plunges as Mt. Gox Exchange Halts Activity" - Bloomberg

"Bitcoin Price Drops as Mt. Gox Exchange Closes Indefinitely" - San Francisco Chronicle

"Mt. Gox Halts Bitcoin Withdrawals -- When Will it Reopen?" - Barrons

"Bitcoin Price Plummets 20% to Under $690 as Mt Gox Exchange ... " - International Business Times UK

"Bitcoin Plunges After Mt. Gox Blocks Withdrawals" - Reuters

"Bitcoin Price Falls After Exchange Halts Withdrawals" - Wall Street Journal

"Bitcoin Prices Fall: Mt. Gox Suspends Withdrawal Capability Citing Technical Issues" - International Business Times

"Bitcoin Plunges as Exchange Halts Withdrawals Due to Technical Problems" - Fox Business

"Bitcoin’s Oldest Exchange, Now in Shambles, Suspends Payouts" - Wired

Any questions?

Shang Tsung: "It has begun!"
legendary
Activity: 1204
February 07, 2014, 05:54:46 PM
The financial press is picking up this story:

"Bitcoin Price Plunges as Mt. Gox Exchange Halts Activity" - Bloomberg

"Bitcoin Price Drops as Mt. Gox Exchange Closes Indefinitely" - San Francisco Chronicle

"Mt. Gox Halts Bitcoin Withdrawals -- When Will it Reopen?" - Barrons

"Bitcoin Price Plummets 20% to Under $690 as Mt Gox Exchange ... " - International Business Times UK

"Bitcoin Plunges After Mt. Gox Blocks Withdrawals" - Reuters

"Bitcoin Price Falls After Exchange Halts Withdrawals" - Wall Street Journal

"Bitcoin Prices Fall: Mt. Gox Suspends Withdrawal Capability Citing Technical Issues" - International Business Times

"Bitcoin Plunges as Exchange Halts Withdrawals Due to Technical Problems" - Fox Business

"Bitcoin’s Oldest Exchange, Now in Shambles, Suspends Payouts" - Wired

Any questions?
American1973
February 07, 2014, 05:53:19 PM
Which uber-valuable-in-USD Magic card allows you to resurrect dead cards?  Can't recall the name...
American1973
February 07, 2014, 05:45:57 PM
sohhlz 17 points 7 hours ago

Can you give any more details of the interview and their environment?

[–]lofties 73 points 7 hours ago

I was told that up until a few weeks [at time of the interview] ago, there was hardly any development environment to test changes. Most changes were done straight on the production environment. Typing this made me throw up in my mouth.

Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
February 07, 2014, 05:42:06 PM
Lulz at the people saying don't complain about it.
It's been ongoing for over 2 months, then finally after all the shit they are getting, they decide to do something about it.
Yes if you wanted to bow down to him and say thank you master as he pisses on you, that may suit you.
However, people showing that they are pissed off at Gox and wont take no response from them, and speaking out, has finally made the scumbags do something about it.
I guess we'll see on Mon/Tue is we are any better off.
P.S. The pending transaction list is down to 175 ... so I guess that means most will have their BTC back in their Gox account ... which of course allows for what Gox wants ... people to use it and give them more transaction fees ...
American1973
February 07, 2014, 05:40:57 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1x9gue/my_protest_at_mtgox_offices_5_to_7th_february

Q16. Is MtGox manipulating the price by directly purchasing Bitcoins on their own exchange?

No, MtGox is not permitted to do this.

[coincidently, almost immediately after this meeting the price on MtGox tanked]
legendary
Activity: 1428
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
February 07, 2014, 04:54:32 PM
Sturle, can you explain the logistics of such a trade? I would also be interested in buying up discounted mtgox CDSes (that's essentially what they are), if I could be confident that the trade could be accomplished securely. I don't think you can make Mtgox codes anymore? How are you going to transfer the Mtgox balance?
You can transfer BTC between MtGox accounts.  The sender can withdraw to the deposit address of the receiving account.  The transaction will be handled internally, and the transfer will not enter the blockchain.  (Unless you check "Open Transaction".  Don't do that.)

Okay, my goxBTC is for sale then!

Wise decision Ristö.

The good old Sturle is either getting Goxxed or he is just a paid shill who is risking nothing. Given his post history in the last months (constant shilling on this thread since April despite the alarming insolvency sympthoms) I would say sturle is the latter (a shill), but given sturle's history/reputation as a reliable OTC later I have my doubts. I give 50/50 chances that he is a shill or just a guy who will get Goxxed because he doesn't want to admit that he may be wrong.

What surprises me is that you are still on Gox, Risto. I always thought (and I still think) Karpeles is mostly honest, not a thief, but the sympthoms have been too strong for too long to ignore them - you know how they say, "it walks like a duck, it smells like a duck, it looks like a duck...."

It might be for legal problems, or because fractional reserve, but the truth is it really doesn't matter, it's been since this summer that is clear that Gox is not safe nor reliable. I work with banks all day long in my business and the hard cold fact is that if you have the money, you can steadily transfer it unless something very BAD or very temporary happens. The "we are overwhelming the banking system with our huge volume" excuse is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard (only for outgoing money but not for incoming, how convenient!), and it was just a matter of time for BTC withdrawals to start following the same path. Withdrawals do not work, incoming transfers work just fine. Sweet....

I left Gox for good in July after a couple of months defending them... But things just kept getting worst. Bitstamp doesn't feel as the most secure place in the world neither, while withdrawals work just well daytrading and keeping serious founds on third party services is still a high risk practice in the BTC world. I won't do it until a serious alternative is launched, for sure the opportunity is huge for those who manage to build a SERIOUS service.
legendary
Activity: 889
February 07, 2014, 04:29:33 PM
Not to speculate but last two weeks have made gox look more then shady if it looks like a ponzi and acts like a ponzi most likely......
I will jump for joy if able to withdraw and actually goes thru but I am expecting weeks of gox and its so called developmental team working feverishly to correct a nonexistent technical problem
They made an announcement that the problem of stuck withdrawls was only very limited users when it was 6000 plus etc etc etc
Activity: 434
February 07, 2014, 04:28:42 PM
"Dear CustomersRecently published media accounts are inferring a link between MtGox and the former online Silk Road marketplace and other illegal services and activities. MtGox denies that it has ever knowingly assisted, agreed to assist, or willingly cooperated with anyone to use Bitcoin to engage in illegal or illicit transactions."

i used to buy magic mushrooms off ebay... ah, those were the days. BAN FIAT!
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
February 07, 2014, 04:08:28 PM
"Dear CustomersRecently published media accounts are inferring a link between MtGox and the former online Silk Road marketplace and other illegal services and activities. MtGox denies that it has ever knowingly assisted, agreed to assist, or willingly cooperated with anyone to use Bitcoin to engage in illegal or illicit transactions."

Jump to: