Pages:
Author

Topic: [MTS] Noobproof VPS Metiscoin Pool Mining All-In-One EZ Setup Script [+Turbo] - page 2. (Read 7038 times)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0
8cpu/16gb VPS digital ocean  429.56 kh/s

TiberiuC - thanks for the data point.  It looks like multiple 2CPU's are more effective than one 8CPU.
Activity: 311
Merit: 250
8cpu/16gb VPS digital ocean  429.56 kh/s
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Thanks again - tip sent.

Getting 162.82 kHash/s on 2CPU/2GB VPS at Digital Ocean Amsterdam (36 ms to pool)

Added your stats to the benchmark table.  Thanks for the tip!
Activity: 49
Thanks again - tip sent.

Getting 162.82 kHash/s on 2CPU/2GB VPS at Digital Ocean Amsterdam (36 ms to pool)
Thank you, really helpful. If i want to add a second one?

Add a second VPS?  On Digital Ocean you just create a new Droplet and paste the script into it like you did the first time.  You'll use the same info that you did in the first.  (You can have multiple miners pointing to the same "worker" on yPool.)
You know a good VPS, i can buy with BTC?
I don't have a creditcard or money on paypal, today
~Jo

There's a whole list of them!  Have fun!  (Some of the prices may be out of date)
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Virtual_private_server

There's a few more mixed in here too:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Dedicated.2FVirtual_Server_Hosting
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
~Jo

http://www.koddos.com/  Cool
Activity: 311
Merit: 250
Thank you, really helpful. If i want to add a second one?
Activity: 4
~Jo
Anybody have luck getting the miner output log working?  On Digital Ocean it seems to be 50/50 on reboot but I haven't had it work on AWS yet.

Also, I'm revising the AWS c1.xlarge number to 650 kHash/s.  That's where it seemed to level out at.  Comes out to about 30 shares/hour on yPool.

https://i.imgur.com/vmmZFP7.png
Benchmarks

UserVPSTypekHash/s
================================================
gigawattDigital Ocean1 CPU/512 MB101
TiberiuCDigital Ocean1 CPU/512 MB74
steeleminerDigital Ocean2 CPU/2 GB162
TiberiuCDigital Ocean8 CPU/16 GB476
gigawattAmazon AWSc1.medium186
gigawattAmazon AWSc1.xlarge690

Want your benchmark added?  Just post it in the thread and I'll update the list.
If you are looking for GPU mining, please use this instead!

Setting up a Metiscoin Pool Miner on VPS for Absolute Noobs
Donations welcome!
BTC: 1E2egHUcLDAmcxcqZqpL18TPLx9Xj1akcV
Ψ: AWHJbwoM67Ez12SHH4pH5DnJKPoMSdvLz2
MTS: MEu8jBkkVvTLwvpiPjWC9YntyDH2u5KwVy

Before You Begin
  • Download PuTTY (putty.exe) so you can connect to your VPS when the time comes.
    • During the creation process, be sure to create a node running Ubuntu 13.04 x64 (not x86)
    • Pick whichever hardware configuration you like (number of CPUs, RAM, etc)
  • If you signed up for DigitalOcean, check your email for your root password.  If you signed up for Linode, your password will be what you specified.
  • Run PuTTY and paste the node's IP address into the "Host Name" slot, then hit "Open" at the bottom. (figure 1)
  • PuTTY will ask you to confirm the SSH key, press Yes (it will only ask once) (figure 2)
  • Type or paste your password into PuTTY and press enter.  To paste, simply right click.
    • Note: You will not see the password characters!  This is normal.

Getting Down to Business
  • If you chose DigitalOcean, it's time to change the root password!  Type passwd, press enter, then enter a new password.  Just like before, the password characters will not show up. (figure 3)
  • Copy this automated setup script to notepad. (highlighted version)
  • At the top of the script, there are fields starting with "YPOOL_".  Fill these out with your desired info.  Be sure to keep the quotes!
    • YPOOL_WORKER is your yPool worker name. YPOOL_WORKERPASS is your yPool worker password.
  • Copy the entire modified script from notepad and paste it into your PuTTY window (right click), then hit enter.
  • The setup is now running.  It will take approximately 3 minutes to complete.
  • Once the script completes, you will see a brief help message and list of commands. (figure 4)

Congratulations!  You're now mining for metiscoins!
If you'd like to maximize your mining potential, please see my mini-guide on How to Clone DigitalOcean Droplets.

Changelog
  • 24 January, 2014 - Miner code updated.  Now with 20% more turbo!  Run ~/stop-miner; ~/build-metiscoin-from-git to download the latest version.
  • 22 January, 2014 - Fixed apt-get list, number of threads determined by /proc/cpuinfo.
  • 22 January, 2014 - Initial release.

Notes
The images in this guide are from my other primecoin guide and are slightly dated.  The images serve to illustrate, but shouldn't be taken as definitive.

Known Issues
There's a known bug with this miner where redirecting output to file may or may not not work!  Because of this, mining speeds may not appear when using ~/peek.
If you want to verify your miner is working, check the process listing for CPU usage or run the miner command manually.  Alternately, sometimes a reboot helps.
/usr/local/bin/xpt -o ypool.net -u user.worker -p x

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to speak up.
Pages:
Jump to: