Pages:
Author

Topic: Multibit: a way to reduce transaction fee - page 2. (Read 7041 times)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0
Intro (go to Cure section if you are looking for a quick fix)

As many of you might know already, Multibit wallet has a built-in minimum transaction fee, which cannot be adjusted
(at least in recent versions). Wallet developers justify it by stating that inexperienced users might choose to
go with too low transaction fee and end up waiting too long for confirmation which might spoil the whole crypto experience
for them. And it makes sense! However, not all users are inexperienced and not everybody wants transactions to go as fast
as possible. For example, I like to keep my coins in several accounts and sometimes I need to send them to myself (like
hot wallet to cold wallet) and I don't care too much about speed and I even willing to resend my transaction if it gets stuck.
Anyway, I think somebody might also be interested in this stuff, so here we go!

Basically there are two ways around:
1. Clone the source from the repository, adjust SEND_MINIMUM_FEE in org.multibit.model.bitcoin.BitcoinModel and build
2. Download Multibit client and adjust the value right in the executable file

Despite the fact that I have experience in software development, I wasn't able to build Multibit quickly and gave up after
an hour. If anyone is still willing to try the first option, please tell me here. In the end I went with the second one
and it turned out to be much easier.

Cure

You will need Java installed on your computer. If you are using Multibit then you have it installed already

1. Download Multibit wallet from official website https://multibit.org/
2. Download reJ - rej_v0.7_bin.zip file from http://rejava.sourceforge.net/ and unzip it
3. Install Multibit somewhere (e.g. /home/user/Multibit)
4. Go to terminal, change dir to where you unzipped reJ, and run it (java -jar rej.jar) or just run it from your file manager       
5. reJ main window will appear. Click "Open" and find your Multibit executable jar file (e.g. /home/user/Multibit/multibit-exe.jar)
6.The contents of the multibit-exe.jar will appear (.jar files are just plain zip archives), double-click on the line "org/multibit/model/bitcoin"
7. Double-click on the BitcoinModel.class - the contents of the file will appear, but you can't change it directly
8. So click "View" in the menu bar and make sure the "Constant Pool" is checked
9. Switch to "Constant Pool" tab (if not there already) and look for a string which has value: "10000" In my case it was sixth from the top.
10. This is actually the value of the transaction fee expressed in satoshis. So if you want your transaction fee to be zero, just change this
value to 0 or anything else you like.
11. Click save. Start Multibit executable you just adjusted. The fee should now be what you have set in step 10.  Cheesy

If you need to change the fee from time to time you might want to make several copies of your multibit-exe.jar with different transaction
fees in them. Make sure you give them some sensible names so it is easy to remember what fee each has inside  Wink

Good luck!

Pages:
Jump to: