Pages:
Author

Topic: Multiple Bittrex accounts hacked everyone enable 2fa - page 12. (Read 22273 times)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
Sorry to hear this happened  Sad That is a lot of btc.  This is a great reminder to everyone and myself to do 2F whenever offered.

Yeah man, I wouldn't sleep for 2 weeks if I have lost that much BTC.

leigh2k14,
You said you used to compile wallets from source, is that on windows or linux?

Linux mint.
legendary
Not me, but I just wanted to say that people reading this should really use 2FA before they also learn the same pricey lesson you and I did (it was a long time ago for me).

I was lazy and thought that nobody would hack me, damn I was wrong.

If your reading this and don't have 2fa set up, DO IT!

Yep, I was lazy to set 2fa too  Sad
All the coins I had there were dumped and I can see a lot of "stupid" orders in my history...

What I can say? SET 2FA!!!

leigh2k14, have you been using the same password anywhere?

No, I only have one password for bittrex.

Did you lose much?

I'm going to format both my machines, I suggest you do the same mate.

I don't remember exact amounts, but it was about 1.5BTC in total, so not that much, fortunately!
No, it's not connected with the machines I'm using and the password is not that easy, so I'm wondering how could that happen at all  Huh

Same here mate.

If any more people were to get hacked i'd say that bittrex had been compromised, but just two I would have to say no.
Activity: 295
Merit: 250
Sorry to hear this happened  Sad That is a lot of btc.  This is a great reminder to everyone and myself to do 2F whenever offered.

Yeah man, I wouldn't sleep for 2 weeks if I have lost that much BTC.

leigh2k14,
You said you used to compile wallets from source, is that on windows or linux?
legendary
leigh2k14,

Did you use the same email and password for any mining pool or other sites?

No, I haven't mined for quite some time.

It's unique to bittrex.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
leigh2k14,

Did you use the same email and password for any mining pool or other sites?
Activity: 843
Merit: 1004
Not me, but I just wanted to say that people reading this should really use 2FA before they also learn the same pricey lesson you and I did (it was a long time ago for me).

All the coins I had there were dumped and I can see a lot of "stupid" orders in my history...

Did you lose much?

I don't remember exact amounts, but it was about 1.5BTC in total, so not that much, fortunately!
No, it's not connected with the machines I'm using and the password is not that easy, so I'm wondering how could that happen at all  Huh
Sad that you are scammed today and good you earn us to use always 2FA protection.

When you use 2FA is this always going without problems. What happens when you lose your phone can you still enter 2FA?

You write your private key down on some paper.

Even though it is not the most safest method, I always save the qr image to my backup folder, just in case if I loose my phone.

Writing down the private key would be the safest method (I don't remember if they show private key on Bittrex while generating QR for 2fa) . Test that private key to restore the code, to make sure you did not make any spelling mistake.
legendary
Sad that you are scammed today and good you earn us to use always 2FA protection.

When you use 2FA is this always going without problems. What happens when you lose your phone can you still enter 2FA?

You write your private key down on some paper.
Activity: 714
IF YOU Enjoy Trade with ME ..PUT Feedback Please
Sorry for your lost dear hope some members here including bittrex would donate some btc to cover some of your lost. the 2 factor authentication is very important i learn this lesson too .
i hope bittrex & other exchanges will enable mobile number as 2fa instead of google auth
M4z
Activity: 59
Merit: 1
Damn, sad it happens for you.
Well, at least you shared the word and I respect you for that, use 2FA guys, 2FA!
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
Thanks for sharing your experience, going to set up 2FA right now (was lazy as well).
Activity: 630
Always use 2FA guys...Its a wild world out there
Activity: 1036
Merit: 501

legendary
How did the hack happen? Did your computer get hacked or did someone guess the password?

I always get an email to confirm a withdraw, does that mean 2FA is active? I never asked for it to be activated.

I'm guessing they either knew our emails and brute forced somehow, or we have a keylogger installed on our machines.

It doesn't matter about the withdrawal, they set a high price on a coin that they own and dump your coins, then buy the coins from them selves, so no withdrawal.
Activity: 574
How did the hack happen? Did your computer get hacked or did someone guess the password?

I always get an email to confirm a withdraw, does that mean 2FA is active? I never asked for it to be activated.
legendary
I don't have a Bittrex account, so I'm not concerned, but I would like to know how you were hacked, to protect my YoBit account in case of.

I would like to know as well, we're still trying to figure that one out.

Make sure you have that 2fa enabled.

So far it's only two of us.
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
I don't have a Bittrex account, so I'm not concerned, but I would like to know how you were hacked, to protect my YoBit account in case of.
legendary

Did you lose much?

Activity: 843
Merit: 1004

leigh2k14, have you been using the same password anywhere else?
Pages:
Jump to: