Pages:
Author

Topic: Multiple Kraken Accounts, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss" - page 6. (Read 19714 times)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
The latest pish from Kraken on my complaint:

Joseph   
Joseph (Kraken Support)
Jul 22, 08:34 PDT

Hi,

I'm sorry for your loss. I've had bitcoin lost in services that disappeared or claimed they got hacked. It's terrible.

Yes, we could do more to protect our users' accounts from their own credentials being compromised. This is being discussed internally, though I suppose it doesn't help you now.

I don't think the origin of the theft is internal because no accounts with login 2FA enabled were compromised, and the thefts could have theoretically been much larger if an attacker had access to Kraken's database including 2FA secrets.

Can you confirm that you've been able to log in and change your password already?

Joseph
Kraken Client Engagement

In my previous correspondence with this weasel faced bag of shit, I stated that I believed that the most likely source of the 'hackers' would be within Kraken itself. There is another report within this thread of someone who was also just using the default Kraken security settings and lost a much larger amount than I did within the same time period. And note also what I have highlighted in red. 'The thefts' suggests that many Kraken users who didn't have 2FA enabled, were also hit, which to me suggests again that it isn't so much individual computers that have been hacked and had passwords logged, but Kraken that has been compromised, either from within, or from outside.

Notice how this cunt continues to highlight the fact that I have been fucked and my loss has nothing to do with Kraken.....of course, I don't expect at all to get my money back here, but I will press this as far as it is feasible for me to do so....'Duty of Care' springs to mind. Handling large amounts of the public's money yet not even implementing a level of security as basic as that which even most internet discussion forum's implement, seems to me to be 'negligent', to say the least......or deliberately structured to facilitate theft with plausible deniablitly, at worst.

legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
They gave you thw tools (SMS, 2FA) and you didn't use them to protect 12k$ worth of BTC.

If this would have pennies, I would have understood. But on this amount... you almost asked for it.

Sorry for your loss, it's an extremely expensive lesson about securing your money.... Embarrassed

On OP's defense. I did enable 2FA on my account and for some reason you get locked out so quickly which is why i had to disable it, then withdraw and then enable it again.
Very complicated and this was advised by a kraken employee...

Woah, complicated and strange too. First guess would be that your or Kraken's time was not correctly sync-ed with Google's for the 2FA.
But if that would happen to me, I'd try to move to another exchange/wallet.

People should start to realize that an exchange isn't the right place to keep bitcoin or FIAT  money, an exchange should be used only to 'change' your bitcoin for fiat or viceversa (or also altcoin).
Mt.gox docet....

Own wallet and cold storage are very good places to store value. And I agree that value should not be kept on online wallets or exchanges.

But I think that the richer ones, beside the money the have in cold storage, keep big amounts on exchanges or at hand to be able to speculate and earn big. Or just play on the exchange very often.

And there are the ones not very good at computers which find online wallets just fine: they're less often hacked than ordinary computers, they are always at hand and some have very good reputation. And people forget easily ...
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042
#Free market
They gave you thw tools (SMS, 2FA) and you didn't use them to protect 12k$ worth of BTC.

If this would have pennies, I would have understood. But on this amount... you almost asked for it.

Sorry for your loss, it's an extremely expensive lesson about securing your money.... Embarrassed

On OP's defense. I did enable 2FA on my account and for some reason you get locked out so quickly which is why i had to disable it, then withdraw and then enable it again.

Woah, complicated and strange too. First guess would be that your or Kraken's time was not correctly sync-ed with Google's for the 2FA.

People should start to realize that an exchange isn't the right place to keep bitcoin or FIAT  money, an exchange should be used only to 'change' your bitcoin for fiat or viceversa (or also altcoin).
Mt.gox docet....
legendary

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

My Kraken account got emptied 36 hours ago. Lost about 12k Euro of BTC.
I am now in discussion with them on this, similar status.
Who and how did they compromize my account? I do not know.
I did not have the sms verification setup - my mistake.
But, the IP that withdrew funds is on the other side of the world (Somewhere in canada/us?) And definitely i was not warned of the transaction prior to it. Only got an email after the funds were sent...

So within the same timeframe as I was robbed, which suggests to me that Kraken has been compromised...and most likely, from within.

Sure, they can say that they have given us the tools to make our accounts more secure, and point out that we haven't made use of them, but what I would say to that is that customer security is primarily their business, and their responsibilty before it is Joe Public's. Even if all they done was straightforward email confirmation before sending any funds, like what practically every other exchange does, then neither your funds, nor my funds would have been stolen.

It seems to me that Kraken's default settings are designed to faciliate theft, only for them to be in the position to turn around and say 'but you never used advanced security options so fuck you".

Like everything else in crpyto land....dodgy as fuck, and I have zero faith that it isn't Kraken staff themselves who are executing these thefts on 'n00bs' who have not made use of more advanced security features.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042
#Free market
I just got my account emptied on Kraken then other day. As users of Kraken will know, with the default security settings, when you make a withdrawal, you get this Email:

So didn't you have enable the 2FA (with the google authenticator app)? I think, it's better safe than sorry? Especially here in this 'world', the cryptocurrency world that it's not really regulated at all.

But, the IP that withdrew funds is on the other side of the world (Somewhere in canada/us?) And definitely i was not warned of the transaction prior to it. Only got an email after the funds were sent...

I don't suggest you to use the 2FA with the sms (that I don't think exists on kraken) because your sim mobile can be compromised , I know I'm paranoid but as I said before 'better safe than sorry, and your text messages can be intercepted.
I would suggest rather to use the google authenticator app, much more safe than the sms verification.

About the Canada/us IP, it is most probable that the attacker used a sort of VPN or proxy to hide his original IP address.
Activity: 126
Merit: 10
Bitcoin amateur learning by doing
I just got my account emptied on Kraken then other day. As users of Kraken will know, with the default security settings, when you make a withdrawal, you get this Email:

Hi,

A withdrawal request has been made for the withdrawal address named b. If you requested this action, great, it was successful.

Thanks for choosing Kraken Bitcoin Exchange
The Kraken Team

Note: if you didn't request this action, your account may be compromised and you should do the following:

1) log into https://www.kraken.com immediately and go to Account > Funding > Withdraw - you may be able to cancel the withdraw if you catch it soon enough.
2) change your password;
3) create a new set of two-factor authentications;
4) create a support ticket letting our support staff know about the incident: https://support.kraken.com.

The IP recorded for this action was 5.185.87.61.

So basically, Kraken who are in the business of handling Joe Public's money, and therefore must also be in the online security business, have a default security procedure, of not asking Joe for Email verification to confirm withdrawal request, but simply telling him that a withdrawal attempt has been made, and that he has perhaps 45 seconds to cancel it before it is processed!?

Needless to say, I contacted Kraken support immediately about this, and here is the Email correspondence so far (basically, 'FU pal, you are bumped):

Sent: 20 July 2016 23:35
To: Kraken User
Subject: [Kraken Support] Re: My Kraken account has just been robbed.

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Joseph (Kraken Support)

Jul 20, 15:34 PDT

Hi,

I'm sorry for your loss.

Rather than email confirmations for withdrawals, we have a global settings lock feature that prevents attackers from adding new withdrawal addresses even after they have access to your account (and presumably also your email), and you can be alerted when an add is attempted. You didn't enable this security feature on your account.

I need to confirm your identity to get you access (at least to withdraw) with the account again. I'll look to write again in a few days about this. Let me know if there are any questions you have. I'm happy to answer them. Again, I'm sorry for what's happened.

Joseph
Kraken Client Engagement

We are currently working on your request (number 122464). You can give us more information by replying to this e-mail or visiting the support page at https://support.kraken.com/hc/requests/122464.
This email is a service from Kraken Support. Delivered by Zendesk.

To which I replied:

Sent: 21 July 2016 08:22
To: Kraken Support
Subject: Re: [Kraken Support] Re: My Kraken account has just been robbed.

So, you have Email verification security features, that I, Joe Public, didn't enable? I would suggest that it is Kraken, who due to dealing in online finance, who are in the online security business, not Joe Public.

Kraken is basically the only crypto exchange that doesn't at least operate Email verification as default for withdrawals, one of their customers gets robbed and you turn around and basically say 'Sorry pal, but it's your loss', you never enabled some security feature hidden down the bottom of some sub menu'?

I mean seriously, an Email message stating something along the lines off "You have just made a withdrawal....if it really was you, then great, it was successful, if it wasn't then you have perhaps a few dozen seconds to cancel it"? I am not sure which jurisdiction Kraken is based in, but regulated exchange or not, I am sure that Kraken has a Duty of Care to exercise more caution than this, since they are in the business of handling other people's money. It isn't like this is the first incident of this. And since this same thing has happened many times before with Kraken (I googled it), why aren't Kraken insisting on basic Email verification, just every other crypto exchange under the sun does, as a bare minimum?

And what about all the spraff you have on your website about getting me to provide as much information possible, in order that you can identify the theft? You haven't asked me for any of that. instead, you have asked me to prove my identification in order to withdraw the remaining few Euro's in my account? On your website, you state that perhaps the theives may have obtained my password from other 'compromised' crypto sites. Perhaps that compromised crypto site is Kraken itself? Somewhere on your servers, is a copy of my Kraken password. One theory I have, is that the theives are operating within Kraken itself. If hackers could compromise an exchange thus gaining access to customers details (including passwords), then 'trusted' members of staff could also access this same information, and using the security loop hole, which for some reason Kraken leaves open, whereby the onus is on the customer to activate Email verification, customer's funds can then be stolen?

None of my other accounts have been compromised. Only Kraken. That tells me that the first place to start looking for the rat, would be with Kraken itself.

As I stated in my response to Kraken, none of my other accounts have been compromised (ever). Only Kraken, which makes me think that the rat is to be found under the floorboards of Kraken itself.
Pages:
Jump to: