Pages:
Author

Topic: Multiple wallet.dat - page 2. (Read 1417 times)

copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
August 27, 2017, 09:14:40 AM
Electrum was already tested and breaks down when I try to import my private key db(each wallet hold approx 10000 addresses). The limit to import is something about 25-40 a time.
The core is running from an external hard drive. Useraccounts I can create, but there will be some problem to run on each a different wallet. But if it can working, any advise is welcome.
My laptop capacity doesn't allow to have even one blockchain entirely be kept.
Thank you

You'd have to make 4 users as I understand the conig file is stored in the AppData section of your user account. Thus 4 user accounts would be needed.

If you make your 4 user accounts, then make a folder in your hard drive for each of the four usernames.
Say you have a current drive path of F:\Bitcoin, change it to F:\%user1%\bitcoin for all four.
Then, when boting bitcoin QT, if that's in the external hard drive, then you'll put the application either in the root or in the bitoin file and on initial use, with each user account, run it with the parameter -datadir=F:\%username%\bitcoin\data and it should work.

You could technically do it with one user acount and produce 5 different partitions (as I think that's the max for windows/NTFS and most drives are formatted to NTFS) - If you have windows I can explain how to produce multiple partitions fairly simply.
This would then require you to bring different partitions on and offline when you want to run the computer (which only takes one or two commands to do).
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
August 27, 2017, 09:06:56 AM
Electrum was already tested and breaks down when I try to import my private key db(each wallet hold approx 10000 addresses). The limit to import is something about 25-40 a time.
The core is running from an external hard drive. Useraccounts I can create, but there will be some problem to run on each a different wallet. But if it can working, any advise is welcome.
My laptop capacity doesn't allow to have even one blockchain entirely be kept.
Thank you
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
August 27, 2017, 08:38:02 AM

Eg. If I replace my wallet.dat on 23/8/2017, and I put it back on 27/8/2017, the client will rescan the wallet from 23/8/2017.

Exactly this what I need as all 4 wallet.dat will be checked once a day. And rescan from start takes 10-11 hours....

Thanks for your answer.

Ah, I get this.

The best I can offer is an alternative to bitcoin core (unless you want to combine your wallets).

My suggestion would be electrum, downloadable here
For each wallet:
•Export private keys from bitcoin core
•On electrum, start it up and hit "standard wallet", then "use public or private keys" and ast the eys you've just exported from bitcoin core into it.
•You should be able to see your balances now after you just put in a pssword for the wallet to have.

An alternative to this:
1. Make 4 user accounts on your computer, each with administrative rights.
2. Start bitcoin core on all four putting a different wallet.dat file on each.
This does require you to have 4x the blockchain size (hence my alternative client suggestion).
UNLESS YOU USE -prune mode which will only keep the latest x number of blocks and will take up no more than 4 GB of space.

As an explanation to why this happens, bitcoin core must scan the entire blockchain in order to find your tansactions when you put a new wallet file in place.
August 27, 2017, 06:59:53 AM

Eg. If I replace my wallet.dat on 23/8/2017, and I put it back on 27/8/2017, the client will rescan the wallet from 23/8/2017.

Exactly this what I need as all 4 wallet.dat will be checked once a day. And rescan from start takes 10-11 hours....

Thanks for your answer.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 4193
August 27, 2017, 06:52:23 AM
The question is simple: when I change the wallet.dat file to an other one, what was synced already with this client, it will save from the start or from the last point of sync? Any advise can help, thanks.
I don't really get what you mean by that question.

If you're talking about how the client will rescan, it will reindex the blockchain when you enabled prune if you replace the wallet.dat or import any keys. I don't think it requires a reindex if your wallet.dat is last synchronized to the point where the block is still within the pruning range*. The client will rescan from the point where it is last synchronized until.

The blockchain files itself is not affected.

*I need clarification on that, I haven't tried it myself.
August 27, 2017, 06:26:03 AM
Hello all,
Have got bitcoincore full synced, as have decided to use 4 wallet.dat ( not simultaneously!), facing probably a problem. When the original wallet (w1) was made, it was synced fully. Yesterday added my other wallet.dat to this one(original was renamed) and synced fully overnight. As I do NOT want to run 4 bitcoincore on 4 computer, now am with 4 wallet.dat file. The question is simple: when I change the wallet.dat file to an other one, what was synced already with this client, it will save from the start or from the last point of sync? Any advise can help, thanks.
Have a great day for all.
Pages:
Jump to: