Pages:
Author

Topic: Multisig, probability to lose coins? - page 2. (Read 307 times)

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2348
September 15, 2023, 01:42:00 PM
Real numbers instance is not a problem at all.
For instance if n=1  P=1 for P1=1 , while P=0  for P1=0
If n=2, and say P1=0.5,  P2=0.7, then P=0.85
Not sure it's really clearer for all people lol.
P= 1 - ∏i=1..2(1-Pi) = 1 - (1-P1)(1-P2) = 1 - (1-0.5)(1-0.7) = 1 - 0.15 = 0.85

Unfortunately your formula is not valid even for  3keys of a 2 of 3 wallet.

Take  P1 = P2 = P3 = 0.9 and you will get P>1 which is impossible.

I will think about N- out -of -M -solution in general case which should include also the calculation of probability to lose the specific  set of N from all possible combinations.
You're right bro, actually if you draw 3 circles A, B and C intersected and you take the intersection A ⋂ B, you will also take A ⋂ B ⋂ C into it. So if you take A ⋂ B +  B ⋂ C + A ⋂ C you will count 3 times  A ⋂ B ⋂ C instead of one time.
So it must be
PL2K = P1P2 + P2P3 + P1P3 + P1P2P3 - 3P1P2P3 = P1P2 + P2P3 + P1P3 - 2P1P2P3
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
September 15, 2023, 12:01:51 PM
This is wrong.

If you want to calculate the probability of losing access to a 2-of-3 multi-sig, then you need to work out the sum of the probabilities of losing any two keys and the probability of losing all three keys. The formula you are looking for is as follows:

P(A).P(B).P(C') + P(A).P(B').P(C) + P(A').P(B).P(C) + P(A).P(B).P(C)

This is the probability of losing A and B, plus the probability of losing A and C, plus the probability of losing B and C, plus the probability of losing all three.

The other way to calculate would be to add the probability of losing exactly one key to the probability of losing no keys, and then subtract that from 1:

1 - (P(A ⋂ B' ⋂ C') + P(A' ⋂ B ⋂ C') + P(A' ⋂ B' ⋂ C) + P(∅))

Where P(∅) = 1 - P(A ⋃ B ⋃ C)

BTW, what does tt /tt code stand for? Never saw it.
Teletype. It's a monospace font which is generally used when referring to small snippets of code, command line arguments, etc.
Activity: 714
Merit: 1298
Cashback 15%
September 15, 2023, 11:04:34 AM

For example if I have 3keys of a 2 of 3 wallet, what will be the probability of losing at least 2keys?
PL2K = P1P2 + P2P3 + P1P3 + P1P2P3
But it's not a general formula unfortunately.

@Saint-loup, to get correct formula for PL2K  you should base calculation on the sum of probability to lose any of key pairs and probability not to lose it. That sum is  equal to 1

Then, using your notations) PL2K  = 1 - (1-P1P2 ) x (1-P2P3 ) x (1-P1P3 )

If you wanna include three lost keys then

PL2K  = 1 - (1-P1P2 ) x (1-P2P3 ) x (1-P1P3 ) x (1- P1P2P3)

The same approach is applied to write formula for " at least N keys out of M  keys", but I am still looking for the best way to express in general notations the arbitrary commutation of N from M

BTW, what does tt /tt code stand for? Never saw it.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
September 15, 2023, 05:51:58 AM
Let's call your keys A, B, and C.

Probability of losing A = P(A)
Probability of not losing A = P(A') = 1-P(A)

Probability of losing all three keys = P(A ⋂ B ⋂ C) = P(A).P(B).P(C)

Probability of losing exactly one key = P(A ⋂ B' ⋂ C') + P(A' ⋂ B ⋂ C') + P(A' ⋂ B' ⋂ C) = P(A).P(B').P(C') + P(A').P(B).P(C') + P(A').P(B').P(C)

Probability of losing one or more keys = P(A ⋃ B ⋃ C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(A ⋂ B) - P(A ⋂ C) - P(B ⋂ C) + P(A ⋂ B ⋂ C)

Plug in your numbers as desired. If you are looking specifically for the probability of never losing a single key, then do 1 minus the last equation above.
Cashback 15%
September 15, 2023, 02:48:16 AM

@satscraper It would have been more clear with one example with real numbers but for me you're right, your formula is good.

Real numbers instance is not a problem at all.
For instance if n=1  P=1 for P1=1 , while P=0  for P1=0
If n=2, and say P1=0.5,  P2=0.7, then P=0.85
If n=100 and say Pi =0.9 for each i index then P = 1 - 0.1100 which is very close to 1

So, you can take any numbers and get the result.

@satscraper It would have been more clear with one example with real numbers but for me you're right, your formula is good.
But do you know one to calculate the probability of losing at least N keys out of M ?
For example if I have 3keys of a 2 of 3 wallet, what will be the probability of losing at least 2keys?

Unfortunately your formula is not valid even for  3keys of a 2 of 3 wallet.

Take  P1 = P2 = P3 = 0.9 and you will get P>1 which is impossible.

I will think about N- out -of -M -solution in general case which should include also the calculation of probability to lose the specific  set of N from all possible combinations.

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2348
September 14, 2023, 07:31:41 PM
If I understand what you mean, in the multi-signature wallet we have a limited number of keys, and let us assume that it is 3 out of 8, so the calculations are as follows:
The total number of N keys is 8
The number required to spend F 3
Losing one of the keys we have
N^ = 8-1=7
F^=3-1=2
Thus, the spending probability becomes p=f^/N^=2/7
The probability of not being able to spend is 1-p
Then you can replace N and F according to the NofM values and thus obtain a general equation.
He's not really talking about the probability of deadlocking a multisig wallet here actually, but more about the probability of losing at least one key (whatever the scheme used by the wallet). If the wallet is a N=M wallet, the wallet will be lost with only one missing key though but I think it's also important to have an idea of the probability of losing at least one key even if it doesn't lock the wallet, in order to take better decisions when we use SLIP39 for example. When we share keys in several locations, the probability of losing them is not identical in each location.

But do you know one to calculate the probability of losing at least N keys out of M ?
Cashback 15%
September 10, 2023, 08:47:11 AM
If I understand what you mean, in the multi-signature wallet we have a limited number of keys, and let us assume that it is 3 out of 8, so the calculations are as follows:
N^ = 8-1=7
F^=3-1=2
Then you can replace N and F according to the NofM values and thus obtain a general equation.

Nope, it is not the same. Assume that F=N   and set individual probability for each key to lose.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 3612
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
September 10, 2023, 08:39:08 AM
N^ = 8-1=7
F^=3-1=2
Cashback 15%
September 10, 2023, 05:42:34 AM
Let's say one has multisig wallet which requires n valid signatures to sign transactions. What is the probability to loose coins the wallet holds in the case of loosing  at least one private key required for signature   when each key has its own probability  to be lost?

My solution

Let's Pi is the probability of loosing key with the  index of i , i= 1.....n

Then the probability of not loosing it is 1-Pi

Allowing independent events for key loosing we get the following expression for the probability that i keys all together  will be never   lost: ∏i=1..n(1-Pi)

Then target value is P= 1 - ∏i=1..n(1-Pi) where ∏ - multiplication operator

Is my calculation correct?
Pages:
Jump to: