Pages:
Author

Topic: Multisig wallet - page 2. (Read 285 times)

legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
August 11, 2023, 04:38:47 AM
Do I need the master public keys of the cosigners in order to recover my wallet? The plan is to create a multisig with two hardware devices send some btc and then reset the devices and keep only the seed phrases.
It's not necessary since the master public key can be derived from the seed phrase or master private key,
but in 'N-of-M' when 'N' is lower than 'M', you must back them up to guarantee that you can still restore the wallet in case one of the cosigner seed became inaccessible.

In terms of 2-of-2 MultiSig, don't bother backing up the master public key since as I've mentioned, Electrum will show you the derived xpub during wallet restoration.
Moreover, losing one seed phrase will lock you out of your funds.
You don't need to include the other cosigner's xpub with the seed since a single backup of "Cosigner1 seed" + "Cosigner2 xpub" will just restore the wallet but wont let you spend.
Just keep the seed phrases safe in this case.

In terms of 2-of-3 MultiSig (in case you want to include another cosigner), you can back them up as:
(don't replace xpub with xprv since one backup will have two cosigner secrets)
  • "Cosigner1 seed" + "Cosigner2 xpub"
  • "Cosigner2 seed" + "Cosigner3 xpub"
  • "Cosigner3 seed" + "Cosigner1 xpub"

That way, even if you lose one backup, you can still restore the wallet since you still have access to the lost seed's xpub.
Since it only requires two signatures, having two seed phrases is enough to spend.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
August 10, 2023, 08:23:20 PM
Adding to the reply above, make sure the seed option is on bip39 and since it is multi sig hardware wallet the derivation should be changed from the standard wallet which is m/44'/0'/0' to that of hardware wallet which is m/45'/0
This is BIP39 derivation paths for legacy address and multisig. Electrum is using different derivation paths.

If you want to know if the multisig setup is correct, the wallets on all the devices you used to setup the multisig wallet will have the same bitcoin addresses.
Activity: 392
Merit: 237
August 10, 2023, 04:48:53 PM
Adding to the reply above, make sure the seed option is on bip39 and since it is multi sig hardware wallet the derivation should be changed from the standard wallet which is m/44'/0'/0' to that of hardware wallet which is m/45'/0
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
August 10, 2023, 04:38:30 PM
If it is 2-of-2, you will need the 2 seed phrases.
If it is 2-of-3, you will need the first and second seed phrases and the master public key generated by the third seed phrase. You can make anyone the first or second but I think you should understand what I mean.

Using two devices, it is 2-of-2 that you want to create. Make sure you backup your seed phrase differently in like two or three different locations.

But the best is 2-of-3 which can make the backup better. But you will need three devices for it. Like 2 hardware wallets and 1 online wallet should be good and have the backup in different locations in this order:

Seed phrase 1, master private key 2
Seed phrase 2, master private key 3
Seed phrase 3, master private key 1
dhs
Activity: 9
Merit: 8
August 10, 2023, 04:21:27 PM
Hi,

I have a question about creating a multisig with electrum wallet. Do I need the master public keys of the cosigners in order to recover my wallet? The plan is to create a multisig with two hardware devices send some btc and then reset the devices and keep only the seed phrases. Thanks in advance.
Pages:
Jump to: