Pages:
Author

Topic: My friend has had some really bad luck... - page 3. (Read 2782 times)

Activity: 224
Merit: 104
December 22, 2013, 03:10:00 PM
Sorry this happened to your friend. But isn't it like he will learn his lesson now?  And 8.5 btc isn't like he lost a fortune. Bailouts rarely help anything.
legendary
Activity: 4130
Merit: 1307
December 22, 2013, 02:57:47 PM
...this kid is only 18 ...

KID?  He is 18 and can vote etc.  This isn't some 11 year old.

That said, sorry that he lost it, as others have said, hopefully he can earn it back and get back to where he was.  ;-)
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
December 22, 2013, 02:46:49 PM
By day trading he was already putting at risk his coins. The fact he was using all his stash to daytrade was not the sensible thing to do.

Furthermore, lessons need to be learned. He needed the money to "travel", not to have a heart transplant. Asking for charity in that situation seems totally unjustified to me.
Activity: 898
Merit: 1000
December 22, 2013, 02:03:38 PM
Hi guys

Okay so I'm not really sure about what sort of responses to expect here, but I feel its worth a shot.

A friend of mine was using BTC-e for trading, and had a number of coins on the exchange. He downloaded some software for mining Quark coin, but unfortunately it turned out that there was malware in the download, and all of his data was compromised. They got access to his accounts, and emptied the whole lot, nabbing around 8.5 BTC.

Now I know that many of you will read this and say, 'well this is his own fault, he failed to take care of his security and that's why he lost his coins' - This is absolutely true. But this kid is only 18 and has only just been introduced to Bitcoin, and he's had to learn this expensive lesson early on. He was saving to go travelling, and now those plans have been completely wiped out.

EDIT:

Originally I was hoping people might be willing to make a few small donations to help him get back on track, but after reading the responses I've realised that this is not really a reasonable request. So instead, I'll just say this:

Please, if you are new to Bitcoin and you are reading this, take on board what has happened here: this sort of thing seems to happen ALL OF THE TIME! You have to take security very seriously, and follow all the advice given e.g. Use 2 FA, don't download anything suspicious or that you aren't completely sure about, try not to keep coins on an exchange if you aren't trading them etc.

Pages:
Jump to: