Pages:
Author

Topic: My ledger got hacked - page 3. (Read 381 times)

legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 4911
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
September 02, 2021, 05:39:54 PM
--snip--

From all of these suggested possibilities, I do admit I saved the seed in my google drive. To access my gmail account though, requires 2FA. Google did not notify me for a remote login etc. I used the same seed since 2017 on the same ledger device.

It's very hard to say for sure, especially without knowing you or being able to physically inspect any logs related to you... But saving a seed in your mail is a big red flag... I did see several people in the past that used this method and lost their money... Same for icloud, witch was even worse...
I'm not saying this is the case for you, but i doubt somebody without physical access to your metadata will actually be able to pinpoint the exact problem and cloud leaks are not that uncommon so they're probably the vulnerability with the highest odds in this case.
Activity: 11
Merit: 1
September 02, 2021, 05:34:16 PM
Very hard to say... theoretically you should be able to use your ledger on an infected pc and still not lose your funds...

I can think off a couple very remote scenario's that happened, or were at least discussed in the past:
  • You saved your seed in the cloud, and your account got hacked (icloud, dropbox, gmail,...)
  • You saved your seed on a physical carrier, and somebody found said carrier
  • You entered your seed in a different (vulnerable) wallet
  • You were the victim of a clipboard virus (eventough, this would have required you to actually make a transaction)
  • You received a device that had been tampered with... either preloaded with a seed, or plain fake
  • You were the victim of an evil maid attack (somebody had physical access to your device)

From all of these suggested possibilities, I do admit I saved the seed in my google drive. To access my gmail account though, requires 2FA. Google did not notify me for a remote login etc. I used the same seed since 2017 on the same ledger device.
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 4911
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
September 02, 2021, 05:25:01 PM
Very hard to say... theoretically you should be able to use your ledger on an infected pc and still not lose your funds...

I can think off a couple very remote scenario's that happened, or were at least discussed in the past:
  • You saved your seed in the cloud, and your account got hacked (icloud, dropbox, gmail,...)
  • You saved your seed on a physical carrier, and somebody found said carrier
  • You entered your seed in a different (vulnerable) wallet
  • You were the victim of a clipboard virus (eventough, this would have required you to actually make a transaction)
  • You received a device that had been tampered with... either preloaded with a seed, or plain fake
  • You were the victim of an evil maid attack (somebody had physical access to your device)
Activity: 11
Merit: 1
September 02, 2021, 05:19:54 PM
Hi guys,

unfortunately, my ledger hardware got hacked last night and 100% of the funds were transferred into another address. I have no idea how this happened. I have never shared my seed words to any websites. I used the same wallet for over 4 years with no problem. The only thing I can think of is that I connected my laptop yesterday afternoon in a public wifi hotspot at stansted airport, in London. I flew from there later that day, and as soon as i landed, i checked the balance and it was 0!!! Any idea how did this happen, as Im running out of hope!
Pages:
Jump to: