Pages:
Author

Topic: My skepticism of bitcoin - page 2. (Read 979 times)

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078
June 21, 2017, 09:59:14 AM
First of all if anyone can see from my recent posts in legal and economy my view since the growth has been optimistic, and they still are. The only problem is the the average working joe doesn't have a clue about bitcoin, doesn't have a time with a wife and family to look into it not to mention the people (at least where i'm from, U.S south) with real equity simply dont' need the money.

I've been very passionate about this as of late and when thinking of graduate schools and how to further my education as well as the future I just too much risk involved in BTC as compared to real equity over time such as land, or more important more advanced degrees and titles which no one can strip from you. I've been talking to my dad about this, he is a neurosurgeon who got his M.D at 26 then surgical license at 29. He thinks this growth is bound to be a bubble as a very practical man because doesn't it seem like the old saying "if it's too good to be true it's most likely not"?

Also let's be just realistic for a moment and agree most people here are the overzealous portion of bitcoin users who WANT to see it grow. It is a bitcoin forum. I'm wondering what post-doc level economists are saying about bitcoin.

Plus there are disadvantages and may or may not be worked out such as legal protections (legitimate ones) against scammers and there are no reliable exchanges out there. I've had awful experience with coinbase and LBC.

1. Looking at the last few months bitcoin price, a 200% growth, practically or statasically it could be said that this growth is bound to be a bubble. Is speculation the sole reason for this or bitcoin is really getting adopted especially after Japan legalised bitcoin?

2. For a moment, let's consider that this tech/internet bubble would burst, but it would definitely rebound because of its working model, a decentralized currency. Bitcoin has done that in the past. Bubble burst or not there would not be a lack of users who prefer to use a decentralized currency.

3. Yeah,  bitcoin lacks laws against scammers especially if it is a small scale operation. Lawsuits against Mt gox and cryptsy prove that laws can be enforced on big scams, but still this area needs a lot of improvement. This is one of the drawbacks of using a decentralized currency.

4. Coinbase is a centralized exchange. Since they do not have buy/sell option for my country, I have not used this feature and just few months ago they had blocked my three-year old account without any valid reason. They have weird rule and regulations, banning, blocking account with funds. I would not recommend it to anyone. Apart from LBC and Coinbase, there are many other exchanges.

Even if Bitcoin is a bubble I do not think it would be bursting anytime soon because more and more countries are planning to legalise it including India and Russia. As users increase bitcoin would get more stable and less volatile and people would stop getting too skeptical about it.
Activity: 994
Merit: 502
June 21, 2017, 08:39:43 AM
First of all if anyone can see from my recent posts in legal and economy my view since the growth has been optimistic, and they still are. The only problem is the the average working joe doesn't have a clue about bitcoin, doesn't have a time with a wife and family to look into it not to mention the people (at least where i'm from, U.S south) with real equity simply dont' need the money.

I've been very passionate about this as of late and when thinking of graduate schools and how to further my education as well as the future I just too much risk involved in BTC as compared to real equity over time such as land, or more important more advanced degrees and titles which no one can strip from you. I've been talking to my dad about this, he is a neurosurgeon who got his M.D at 26 then surgical license at 29. He thinks this growth is bound to be a bubble as a very practical man because doesn't it seem like the old saying "if it's too good to be true it's most likely not"?

Also let's be just realistic for a moment and agree most people here are the overzealous portion of bitcoin users who WANT to see it grow. It is a bitcoin forum. I'm wondering what post-doc level economists are saying about bitcoin.

There is always a possibility for a big scale bubble burst with bitcoin, but the HUGE difference between bitcoin bubble and other economic bubbles is that even if bitcoin fails it has already introduced us to the technology (cryptocurrency and the blockchain). Personally I believe in Bitcoin as a currency and therefore have been investing in it for quite a long time now.
Yeah, unlike other assets bitcoin has got the highest chance of big scale bubble. This is just because of the early price pumping which fell in a short that didn't sustained long. Based on the same people think even a normal growth to be an bubble and make it crash. Recent growth were termed as price waves and hope the same happens in a short as price increase is quite going good.
Activity: 441
Merit: 251
June 21, 2017, 08:17:45 AM

There is always a possibility for a big scale bubble burst with bitcoin, but the HUGE difference between bitcoin bubble and other economic bubbles is that even if bitcoin fails it has already introduced us to the technology (cryptocurrency and the blockchain). Personally I believe in Bitcoin as a currency and therefore have been investing in it for quite a long time now.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
June 21, 2017, 08:11:14 AM

Plus there are disadvantages and may or may not be worked out such as legal protections (legitimate ones) against scammers and there are no reliable exchanges out there. I've had awful experience with coinbase and LBC.
Pages:
Jump to: