Pages:
Author

Topic: My take on a Bitcoin "Coin" - page 2. (Read 3048 times)

Activity: 691
Merit: 511
July 15, 2011, 01:27:31 PM
The idea of printing a bitcoin defeats the entire purpose Tongue

Trinkets would be nice though.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
July 15, 2011, 01:27:16 PM
The barcoded edge is kind of useless, but cool nontheless.  Not bad though!

My idea was that since the barcode is embossed around the rim, you could "roll" it on a piece of paper and leave a scannable barcode (like a stamp).

It'll be interesting to see if this will actually work in practice though... XD
That's friggin awesome - I didn't even think of rolling the coin edge!
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
July 15, 2011, 01:25:14 PM
Ah the evolution of a digital coin into the real world.

I like the idea of that barcode edge.  Crazy creative.  It makes the coin look aesthetically horrible, but fuck it.
Activity: 206
Merit: 100
Mostly Harmless...
July 15, 2011, 01:23:50 PM
The barcoded edge is kind of useless, but cool nontheless.  Not bad though!

My idea was that since the barcode is embossed around the rim, you could "roll" it on a piece of paper and leave a scannable barcode (like a stamp).

It'll be interesting to see if this will actually work in practice though... XD
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
July 15, 2011, 01:21:22 PM
The barcoded edge is kind of useless, but cool nontheless.  Not bad though!
Activity: 206
Merit: 100
Mostly Harmless...
July 15, 2011, 01:19:16 PM
I've been working on and off for the last month or so on this idea of a Bitcoin "coin".  What I really wanted was something that had some weight in my hands, that could be used as something more than just a trinket.

For this test run, I've encoded my bitcoin address into the coin on both the edge (as a barcode), and on the back (as a qr code).  My general idea was to get these printed & polished in various metals (stainless/silver), and offer customized versions for people wanting to buy them.

The insets (like the qr code on the back, and the bitcoin symbol and stars on the front) will be filled with paint, so they have a nice contrast (and hopefully legibility by cellphone camera for the qr code).

Finally got off my ass and finished up the model last weekend, and they are now in production (estimated delivery July 28).  This test run will have stainless steel, ultrahigh resolution frosted plastic, and transparent detail).  Will post pics as soon as they come in, as well as pics of the finishing process.

Shapeways Link here: http://shpws.me/2s9G

Pages:
Jump to: