Pages:
Author

Topic: My Trezor is broken! - page 2. (Read 423 times)

Activity: 1082
Merit: 502
October 31, 2020, 04:00:13 PM
I had an unexpected situation last night. Suddenly my first Trezor, which I bought back in 2015, stopped working. When I tried to connect it to the USB connector, the screen started flashing and he stopped responding to button presses. I checked it after a couple of hours but everything is still - the screen is blinking and it doesn't work anymore.

To make matters worse, I used it as a second factor to access my gmail. In this regard, I had a question - if I buy a new Trezor and restore it using a seed-phrase, will the function allowing it to be used as a key for two-factor authentication also be restored? Or not ? Has anyone encountered such a situation? If so, please give an answer to this question. It is very important for me to know if I have a chance to recover it exactly as a two-factor authentication key.
Perhaps not everything is as sad as it seems.

About six months ago I had a similar situation - when connected to a laptop, the screen blinked and it did not react at all to button presses. At first I was also very upset because I thought it was the end. But then I decided to try to replace the wire that connects the Trezor and the laptop, and what my surprise was when I connected the wire from my second Trezor and voila - it worked again as if nothing had happened. In my case, it was just that.

You also can try to do it. Chances are slim, but why not give it a try. Maybe it's not about the breakdown of the device.
Activity: 798
Merit: 116
October 29, 2020, 03:46:58 AM
This is where HW security keys may come in handy. Two or even three instances of such  devices (hold exclusively for authorization purpose)  would be more cost effective   that the same quantity of Trezors. Besides  having less electronic components ( no display and relating biasing circuits) HW security key is more reliable and will last a longer time. I have created a dedicated thread for them. Keep reading if interested.
Yes I agree. The authentication key is a device specially designed for this purpose, which will probably last several times longer than my Trezor. Moreover, if you very often use Trezor for authentication purposes, then for sure it will become unusable much faster than if it was used only as a wallet.
October 27, 2020, 10:15:01 PM
If U2F is not cross-compatible, then there is a strong argument to made to always have a second device as a back up stored somewhere secure in the event of loss or failure of your first device.
This is a very correct thought. And in fact, I was fighting back in 2015 to buy myself a spare Trezor. But for some reason i didn't.  And now i see that it's a rather stupidly. Now I will have to wait another week and a half until the new Trezor is delivered to me. All these weeks and a half, I will not have access to either the mail or the stock exchange. In conditions when there is now a strong growth in bitcoin, it was rather stupid to be left without a spare Trezor. But apparently this will be a lesson for me for the future.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
October 27, 2020, 06:05:58 AM
It remains to purchase a new Trezor and restore it.
I've been thinking some more about this - does anyone know if the U2F is compatible between different hardware wallets? You can restore the Trezor U2F to other Trezors, and you can restore the Ledger U2F to other Ledgers, but I've never tried to restore from one device to the other. Given that there are no open source third party tools you can use to restore your seed phrase to recover your U2F like you can do with bitcoin wallets, if you cannot restore to other devices that it puts you in a precarious situation of being entirely dependent on that one company. If that company goes bankrupt, or you are unable to obtain a replacement wallet from them for another reason, then you could find yourself locked out of your accounts.

If U2F is not cross-compatible, then there is a strong argument to made to always have a second device as a back up stored somewhere secure in the event of loss or failure of your first device.
October 26, 2020, 07:15:54 AM
Yes. The private keys used in the 2FA app are derived from the seed phrase the Trezor was set up with, and so recovering the seed phrase to another device will recover the 2FA app just as it would recover a bitcoin wallet.
Thank you so much buddy. You calmed me down a lot. The fact is that some time ago I lost my mobile number and therefore I entered the mail almost always using my Trezor as a second factor. It remains to purchase a new Trezor and restore it. Thank you very much for the hint.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
October 26, 2020, 07:04:28 AM
if I buy a new Trezor and restore it using a seed-phrase, will the function allowing it to be used as a key for two-factor authentication also be restored?
Yes. The private keys used in the 2FA app are derived from the seed phrase the Trezor was set up with, and so recovering the seed phrase to another device will recover the 2FA app just as it would recover a bitcoin wallet.

You can see the relevant info on the Trezor wiki here:

Restoring a seed on another Trezor (see Recovery) restores all the U2F keys too, since they are derived from one master key. Due to the design of U2F, some services might implement a counter that records the number of sign-ins. However, if you have firmware version 1.4.2 or higher, the U2F counter is restored automatically.
October 26, 2020, 06:20:33 AM
I had an unexpected situation last night. Suddenly my first Trezor, which I bought back in 2015, stopped working. When I tried to connect it to the USB connector, the screen started flashing and he stopped responding to button presses. I checked it after a couple of hours but everything is still - the screen is blinking and it doesn't work anymore.

To make matters worse, I used it as a second factor to access my gmail. In this regard, I had a question - if I buy a new Trezor and restore it using a seed-phrase, will the function allowing it to be used as a key for two-factor authentication also be restored? Or not ? Has anyone encountered such a situation? If so, please give an answer to this question. It is very important for me to know if I have a chance to recover it exactly as a two-factor authentication key.
Pages:
Jump to: