Pages:
Author

Topic: My wallet was just hacked - page 4. (Read 2338 times)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0
June 17, 2013, 09:57:50 PM
Are you sure that your BTCs didn't get transferred to a change wallet?  Perhaps you want to post the public keys so we can track the transactions on blockchain?
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
June 17, 2013, 09:53:18 PM
I installed Bitcoin-Qt on my iMac, put some bitcoins in it, and locked the wallet.

When I wanted to make a new address to send some bitcoins to an exchange, it asked me to unlock my wallet. I entered the key, and the wallet application locked up. I had to kill the task. When I started it up, it said my wallet was corrupted. I restored my wallet from a backup, and discovered that all of my bitcoins (over 3 coins  Angry ) had been transferred. They had been transferred to an address I've never used before. In fact, I've never transferred any bitcoins out of my wallet.

Well, the fact that I lost over $USD300 in coins is bad, but I'll chalk that up to experience. What I'd like to know is how it was done. I can only guess that my computer has been infected with malware that was waiting for me to unlock my wallet so it could do a transfer. Is this a known hack?

Thanks,

Random8, bitcoin n00b

I doubt that a lock up would cause that. Did you try to do a -rescan on the backed up wallet, and are you sure it isn't a change address? Also did you try the savage wallet command?
Activity: 31
June 17, 2013, 09:50:14 PM
If a program that wasn't running on my Mac could connect to Bitcoin-Qt, it might be able to steal the coins, but I don't know how someone from the Internet could do it. I checked my router, and its firewall is running, which should prevent anyone from connecting to the wallet app from the Internet.

Random8
Activity: 7
June 17, 2013, 09:36:22 PM
Glad it wasnt me  Shocked
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
June 17, 2013, 09:33:19 PM
That's quite disturbing!
Activity: 7
June 17, 2013, 09:32:12 PM
damn
Activity: 31
June 17, 2013, 09:24:09 PM
I installed Bitcoin-Qt on my iMac, put some bitcoins in it, and locked the wallet.

When I wanted to make a new address to send some bitcoins to an exchange, it asked me to unlock my wallet. I entered the key, and the wallet application locked up. I had to kill the task. When I started it up, it said my wallet was corrupted. I restored my wallet from a backup, and discovered that all of my bitcoins (over 3 coins  Angry ) had been transferred. They had been transferred to an address I've never used before. In fact, I've never transferred any bitcoins out of my wallet.

Well, the fact that I lost over $USD300 in coins is bad, but I'll chalk that up to experience. What I'd like to know is how it was done. I can only guess that my computer has been infected with malware that was waiting for me to unlock my wallet so it could do a transfer. Is this a known hack?

Thanks,

Random8, bitcoin n00b
Pages:
Jump to: