Pages:
Author

Topic: mynode rasp pi 4 builds and comparisons - page 2. (Read 468 times)

legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 7701
'The right to privacy matters'
Okay the down load of my build from kit is done.

I did no Tor
I used an 8gb rasp pi
I used 2gb from the ssd

The download takes over 3 days and 11 hours.

Just 5 blocks short of the download

About 2 or 3 minutes later up pops the next screen
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
July 13, 2021, 07:20:58 AM
Went slow on purpose as I want to see the time it takes for 8gb no tor vs 4gb tor.
That's an interesting little experiment... will definitely be interested to see the results of that! Wink

So  it will be a long set of reviews and info  by the time I am done.
Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you! Shocked Best of luck, I look forward to seeing all the details when you finish it all!
legendary
July 12, 2021, 10:32:55 PM
Curious as to why you opted for MyNode as opposed to something like the RaspiBlitz or Umbrel? Huh Asking because I've sort of been on a bit of a mission to try them all... and was considering trying the MyNode setup (the free community edition tho)

Seems that spending $100 on something that is using a lot of open-source software that is freely available and/or included in other packages like RaspiBlitz/Umbrel is unnecessary.

I can certainly understand that someone might want to go with the premium package purely for the support option, so they don't have to rely on forums/telegram groups etc... but charging to get "free" features (btcpay server, Spectr, LNBits etc) from the other systems seems excessive. Undecided

... I am up to block 402000 this download will be under 3 days maybe 2 .
Do you not have another node you could have copied the blockchain/chainstate/indexes from? or were you wanting to see what the full IBD time would be like?

In my testing with RaspiBlitz/Umbrel... copying the chain from another node cuts the initial setup time down to hours rather than days.

Went slow on purpose as I want to see the time it takes for 8gb no tor vs 4gb tor.

I also paid for software to get setup with less effort.
I will be doing another companies.  forgot name.

I will also do it with free software but I have so much real stuff happening that will take a while.

I will end up with at least 4 nodes for LN.
I will also compare to the miner/node sold here on bit coin talk I own that one. I have it running a node but no wallets yet.

So  it will be a long set of reviews and info  by the time I am done.
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
July 12, 2021, 09:47:56 PM
Curious as to why you opted for MyNode as opposed to something like the RaspiBlitz or Umbrel? Huh Asking because I've sort of been on a bit of a mission to try them all... and was considering trying the MyNode setup (the free community edition tho)

Seems that spending $100 on something that is using a lot of open-source software that is freely available and/or included in other packages like RaspiBlitz/Umbrel is unnecessary.

I can certainly understand that someone might want to go with the premium package purely for the support option, so they don't have to rely on forums/telegram groups etc... but charging to get "free" features (btcpay server, Spectr, LNBits etc) from the other systems seems excessive. Undecided

... I am up to block 402000 this download will be under 3 days maybe 2 .
Do you not have another node you could have copied the blockchain/chainstate/indexes from? or were you wanting to see what the full IBD time would be like?

In my testing with RaspiBlitz/Umbrel... copying the chain from another node cuts the initial setup time down to hours rather than days.
legendary
July 12, 2021, 06:05:14 AM
Thanks for answers
So I did the full kit without a ssd from them.

Added my own ssd.  Saved a few bucks. As I had an ssd on hnd

I am now doing the amazon 8gb kit added the software and an ssd.  This was 333 usd vs 339 usd but the rasp pi is 8gb model with a fan in a plastic case.
 It is quicker easy enough to assemble. Fan keeps it cooler. I am up to block 402000 this download will be under 3 days maybe 2 .
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
July 12, 2021, 05:26:32 AM
2. Additional features

Code:
* One-Click Upgrades
* VPN - Remote Access
* Tor - Remote Access
* BTC Pay Server
* Mempool Viewer
* Caravan
* Specter
* LNBits
* Thunderhub

I want to find out do I need to buy the 99 software and why.  If I must buy the license  its fine.

Seems expensive and probably not necessary as you can take the community edition image and then mod it to install Tor, BTCPay, LNBits, etc etc and self-hosted mempool.space, then slap a free version of ProtonVPN for VPN functionality. It's probably running Ubuntu so these deps should be easy to satisfy using apt.

One-click upgrades is just for updating all the versions of stuff at once. if you run everything inside docker then a simple script that pulls newer versions of everything from Docker's registry will suffice.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
July 12, 2021, 04:52:13 AM
I want to find out do I need to buy the 99 software and why.  If I must buy the license  its fine.

I don't have a myNode, but from what I see, if you don't need the bolded features/software, you can safely use the free community edition (and yes, the community edition is totally free)
And that's what I would have been using for a test/start and see if it's enough. If support is needed, you have a good chance to receive it here, and I guess that this is where most of that money matters, since probably some remote control software and BTC pay, if needed, can be installed separately by hand.
legendary
July 11, 2021, 06:44:00 PM
spacer

First question I have is why do they charge for the software it seems to be 99 usd
Second question is they have a community option which appears to be free not sure.
Third question is I paid for software and got a code much like a windows op code. cost is in the my node kit it would have been 99 alone.

So I can buy parts and make my own and pay 99 to use the software.

It is cheaper to build one from amazon parts and buy the 99 software.

1tb ssd 115
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA1T0B/dp/B073H552FJ/ref=sr_1_3?

8gb rasp pi kit 119
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08956GVXN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

99 for the software.

https://www.mynodebtc.com/order_now

so 115+119+99 = 333 and it is the 8gb rasp pi

but the full kit on the website is 339 and a 4gb rasp pi

So I am figuring out the mechanics of build a rasp pi from the amazon kit  hint easy peasy

and I will start that synch.

I want to find out do I need to buy the 99 software and why.  If I must buy the license  its fine.
I want to see how much better is the 8gb rasp pi.
I can also get a 4gb rasp pi 4 kit on amazon for 65

so 65 + 115 + 99 = 279 for the exact same set up

So who has a mynode. anyone.

legendary
July 11, 2021, 06:38:42 PM
spacer

so the oem model with 4gb fully loaded.

I am now doing the kit I made from scratch. Has 8 gb not 4gb I allowed 4gb from the hard drive to also be used thus maxing ram to 12gb.

I purchased the 99 software codes as I want this to be a full version.

this was

99 software
115 1tb ssd
119 rasp pi 4 with 8gb ram

333 total cost
legendary
July 11, 2021, 06:37:47 PM
Changed title to reflect that I did 2 builds and will do more.

build 1
1 kit from mynode rasp pi 4 prebuilt
99 USD worth of firmware/soft ware
1 samsung t5 ssd

build 2
1 kit from amazon rasp pi 4  8gb ram
1 t5 samung ssd
99 USD worth of mynode firmware/software

build 3  and build 4 to follow

So I grabbed a 4gb rasp pi kit from their website.

and I attached my own 1 tb Samsung

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA1T0B/dp/B073H552FJ/ref=sr_1_3?

I am close to done with synch almost 3 days

I have lots of questions and would like to create a FAQ thread on mynode.

Pages:
Jump to: