Pages:
Author

Topic: Mystery BTC receipt - page 2. (Read 3966 times)

legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
July 26, 2013, 05:07:59 PM
Maybe somebody else created a keypair for that address? I know it is very unlikely, but it could happen. So I would spend any money in that address and not use it anymore. Just in case.

To all intents and purposes it couldn't happen, if all software is functioning correctly, any more than all the atoms in someone's underwear could just simultaneously decide to move three feet to the left.  Quantum mechanically you could argue that it's possible but unlikely, but that's just sophism (or more accurately fine comedic writing).

But, of course, software can have bugs.  Could there be a flaw in the random number generation which makes a collision plausible?  Sure, there could be.

Still, I don't believe it, given the evidence in the blockchain.
Still, if OP has not divulged his address, how could the anonymous sender know his address? Duh, the blockchain is a public ledger, the question is why him specifically, and not somebody else?
Activity: 563
Merit: 500
July 26, 2013, 04:51:49 PM
Maybe somebody else created a keypair for that address? I know it is very unlikely, but it could happen. So I would spend any money in that address and not use it anymore. Just in case.

To all intents and purposes it couldn't happen, if all software is functioning correctly, any more than all the atoms in someone's underwear could just simultaneously decide to move three feet to the left.  Quantum mechanically you could argue that it's possible but unlikely, but that's just sophism (or more accurately fine comedic writing).

But, of course, software can have bugs.  Could there be a flaw in the random number generation which makes a collision plausible?  Sure, there could be.

Still, I don't believe it, given the evidence in the blockchain.
Activity: 756
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
July 26, 2013, 04:46:14 PM
I think more likely it is just some early adopter having fun by throwing millibits at random addresses. Sort of like a bitcoin faucet, maybe you could call it a bitcoin sprinkler?
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
July 26, 2013, 04:43:17 PM
The address that paid me has made a lot of 0.001 BTC transactions.

Is it known whether the coins are tainted (are there any public ways to check?)

I did wonder whether someone with tainted coins (whether a criminal or just someone who innocently received them) is deliberately spreading taint around in an attempt to make the notion of tainted coins unworkable.

The address has also made a quite a few SatoshiDice transactions - can't quite see the connection except that tainting SD's coins is quite a good way of spreading taint very widely.

Thoughts?

roy
Activity: 756
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
July 26, 2013, 04:38:40 PM
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
July 26, 2013, 04:36:12 PM
This is a mystery.

Many people have reported receiving a random transaction of 0.001 BTC. Who is sending 0.001 to random addresses and why is anyone's guess at this point.
July 26, 2013, 04:24:43 PM
Have you looked on the blockchain to see "where" it has come from?

This is the mystery transaction that pays 0.001 BTC to 1A6tsBCowg98pTCfjdxkQj7L2kka9JmoQT

https://blockchain.info/tx/6e06ffd314ce06a371fdedbe7aa7dbb27c3bab2b05f91a88b3f19a80adbbb26d

The thing that puzzles me is that the only way someone could have got that address is by trawling the blockchain for the original transaction that funded that address.  Why would anyone do that?
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Provider of Bitcoin products and services
July 26, 2013, 04:13:58 PM
Have you looked on the blockchain to see "where" it has come from?
July 26, 2013, 03:52:19 PM
A few days ago I received 0.001 BTC to the wallet on my Android phone.  The odd thing is, that wallet has not been used, since being set up, apart from a single 1 BTC transaction from one of my other wallets.  No addresses from the Android wallet have ever been advertised.

Why would someone do this?  Is this common?  To my knowledge it's never happened to me on my main wallets...

roy
Pages:
Jump to: