Pages:
Author

Topic: Myths and facts about gambling addiction - page 2. (Read 1246 times)

legendary
Activity: 3164
Merit: 1174
I don't believe in everything OP said. It can be true for some people, but OP cant generalize things. Its individual thing, and tastes are different.
In this world, system everyone have some addiction. And everyone thinks that their addiction is better. Well I don't agree with that way of thinking.
Live and let other people live. As I see reality is that people who don't gamble talk more about gambling then gamblers.
Reality is that in every other case of addiction fighters against it talk more then addicts. 
If people above don't like to gamble what are you looking in gambling section?
So you people have nothing better to do then to preach around the forum. Find something better to do...

[img][/https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/dd/26/56/dd2656258f48f9ae8731734812115449.jpgimg]

Something better like finding passion and love... what ever that is I will respect your wish. Why its hard for you people to respect others?
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
「きみはこれ&#
I must say,one of the most sensible post I found in the Gambling section.The problem is sensible posts don't get more exposure as they're buried deep under the stacks of useless sig spammer threads.I hope addicts actually have a read through it.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
SkyFall
Many people are addicted to gambling they think that there is going to be this one time that they are going to win the jackpot. But it cannot happen to everybody that is just not possible.
legendary
Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036
First off I would like to say kudos to the OP for this very nice write-up about common gambling myths and what the actual reality it is for the compulsive gamblers. But I would like to point something out. There is a fine line between compulsive and casual gamblers. I myself am a casual bettor who plays for fun most days of the week and I do admit I lose money in the process but I am neither betting everything I own nor do I spend excessive amounts of my time reading sports news etc. It's true that 'once a gambler always a gambler' however this can be said also to people who buy lottery tickets or play bingo or bet on horses at the racetracks. Moderation is key in whatever you are doing in life not only gambling. These myths here are addressing only hopeless cases of very hardcore compulsive gamblers and sadly they are 100% true.
legendary
Activity: 1512
This is a great post by OP. But does anyone else notice the irony of this thread?
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Just a reply with a funny joke in my country about the first point of the first OP post.

There was a king son and he began to drink a lot, so worried the people told to the king, he have started drinking a lot and the king replied, its ok no problem.
Then he started going with hookers, so worried the people told to the king, he have started dating hookers, its ok said the king no problem we have a lot of money.
Then he started gambling, so worried the people told to the king, he started gambling. The king replied shocked, stop him or he will make us miserable all.

Moral: You can never become rich with the gambling. End of story.
Activity: 546
Nice structured post and well listed. People should really read that in order to clear up some misconceptions around gambling and addiction in general.
I hope this post reaches people that do need help and reach out for it.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1001
Interesting to read this and that is really helpful to know about how it is addictive and how people don't want to know what is disadvantages of this and keep doing it again and again.
This will help to understand easily the facts behind the addiction and related gambling phenomena.I completely do agree with these best explanations.Actually this kind of writing help to reach the facts more quickly.We all are aware of these but sometimes someone needs to realize us by reminder with simple words.
Activity: 348
Merit: 250
intresting reads, now i have an idea on how adicted i am and what i am thinking about myself is wrong..
this is so me, myth:  I am responsible, strong willed individual. I never will get addicted! Only weak people are addicts.

Activity: 1274
Merit: 516
Its a very good list, most of the people dont realize they are addicted until its too late to stop, they need support from friends and family to stop gambling addiction
I also would like to appreciate your efforts and hard work for this awesome thread, it shows how gambling can dangerous in all method if we keep doing it for a short time of period or long, we can afford to lose or not lose, anyway that is nice comparison and wonderful answers in reality.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
Very good posts. Because I am tired of seeing the same people asking the same questions over and over again.

Your list is spot on and in reality you really should contact a local gambling anonymous in your area for help.
legendary
Activity: 1288
I noticed that threads about gambling addiction, moral repercussion of excessive gambling and  psychology of addiction are quite popular on bitcointalk.
I would like to present some more insight on this problem.

What is gambling addiction?

In short: Gambling addiction, also known as compulsive gambling or gambling disorder, is an impulse-control disorder.
Addicted gamblers can't control the impulse to gamble, even when it is hurting themselves or their loved ones in the process.

I would like to debunk some myths about gambling addiction:

Myth: It is OK if I am rich and can afford to gamble, so I can do it anytime as long as I have the money.

Reality: It is not entirely about money. Excessive gambling is bad as any other addiction because it cause problems of not just financial nature.
Too much time spent on gambling can lead to relationship and life problems, job loss, psychological problems including depression and anxiety, and, in the worst case - suicide.

Myth: It is OK. I don't gamble everyday, so I am not addicted gambler.

Reality
: It doesn't matter how frequently you gamble. You can gamble once per month but always lose all your money in one session. Gambling is a problem if it causes more problems.

Myth: If someone has a gambling problem and he builds up a debt - you should help him. But he must promise that he would stop.

Reality
: No. Never lend money to a gambler. It is the worse thing you can actually do. He will just continue to gamble and it only make him believe that even if he lose  someone will fix his debt.

Myth: It is not possible to be truly addicted to gambling. It is not physical addiction like drugs or alcohol!

Reality
: Gambling will cause your brain to produce 'euphoria' hormones similar to these that are created after drugs usage. It may encourages the gambler to keep repeating the behavior to feel the pleasure again.

Myth: Gambling addiction is purely financial problem.

Reality: No. Excessive gambling is psychological problem which happen to has financial consequences. It is problem of urges, impulses of person that has an uncontrollable obsession with gambling.

Myth: I am responsible, strong willed individual. I never will get addicted! Only weak people are addicts.

Reality
: Common misconception. Anyone can be an addict. No matter how strong their will is. Once they obsessed with gambling, gamblers may engage in irresponsible behaviors to maintain their addiction.

Myth: It is easy to tell if someone is addicted gambler.

Reality: Actually no. Gambling addiction is one of the hardest obsessions to notice with lack of physical symptoms. The behavior is easy for people to hide. Especially now - with the era of online gambling.

Pages:
Jump to: