Pages:
Author

Topic: namecoin are low, why? - page 2. (Read 5064 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
November 10, 2011, 12:32:26 AM

Yes providing tor hidden service names is a great use for namecoin:
http://dot-bit.org/Domain_names#Value_field

TLS support is potentially the most important application of namecoin:
http://dot-bit.org/Domain_names#TLS_support

So basically i'll support translation between .bit and .onion ?
Activity: 275
Merit: 250
November 10, 2011, 12:18:33 AM
Namecoin is actually a worthless project at the moment.  Nobody in their right mind is going to accept Namecoin as a DNS system, except for one audience that Namecoin isn't yet addressing...

TOR HIDDEN SERVICES.

Why?  The world doesn't demand a new cryptographic DNS system, it's happy with the one it's already got.  The fact that Wikileaks and Pokerstars lost their names is of little concern to the world, especially since they can both easily register under another TLD with no significant impact.  If the world were looking for an alternate DNS, least of all, it sure isn't going to take one where virtually every prominent trademark has been cryptographically squatted on by anonymous wanna-be profiteers.

But Tor hidden services have no working DNS, and a side consequence is that it's rife with phishing sites and people can't tell if they're at the right site because the names are non-memorable.  If the address for Silk Road were "silkroad.onion", people could distinguish the real deal from phishing attempts without having to memorize "ianx6zasdflkajsdflkj" or whatever.

If Namecoin development went toward making it the de facto name registry for hidden services, it suddenly would be valuable and useful.  Otherwise, namecoins are as worthless as ixcoins.

Yes providing tor hidden service names is a great use for namecoin:

http://dot-bit.org/Domain_names#Value_field

The next biggest REAL thing that namecoin could potentially accomplish would be to serve as a registry of the correct SSL certificates for websites.  THAT is something the world actually is demanding, i.e. the current system is actually broken.

TLS support is potentially the most important application of namecoin:

http://dot-bit.org/Domain_names#TLS_support

vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
November 09, 2011, 08:53:36 PM

No wonder price is now 0.007. Really a shame. Even damn ScamCoin is higher than that now ! Sad

The bright side is if somebody wants to start putting it together, Namecoin is already quite a start.

That said, they could also dump the Namecoin block chain and start it over.  It depends on how much its current developers would be perceived to contribute to the project, since they would be presumed to be in favor of keeping the block chain.

To get it going though, what really needs to happen is for the Tor / Vidalia / Polipo people to get involved and decide how it could integrate into Tor.  It might be considered much more credible now that merged mining is giving it a solid base of hashing power.
Activity: 518
November 09, 2011, 05:15:24 PM
Namecoin is actually a worthless project at the moment.  Nobody in their right mind is going to accept Namecoin as a DNS system, except for one audience that Namecoin isn't yet addressing...

TOR HIDDEN SERVICES.

Why?  The world doesn't demand a new cryptographic DNS system, it's happy with the one it's already got.  The fact that Wikileaks and Pokerstars lost their names is of little concern to the world, especially since they can both easily register under another TLD with no significant impact.  If the world were looking for an alternate DNS, least of all, it sure isn't going to take one where virtually every prominent trademark has been cryptographically squatted on by anonymous wanna-be profiteers.

But Tor hidden services have no working DNS, and a side consequence is that it's rife with phishing sites and people can't tell if they're at the right site because the names are non-memorable.  If the address for Silk Road were "silkroad.onion", people could distinguish the real deal from phishing attempts without having to memorize "ianx6zasdflkajsdflkj" or whatever.

If Namecoin development went toward making it the de facto name registry for hidden services, it suddenly would be valuable and useful.  Otherwise, namecoins are as worthless as ixcoins.

The next biggest REAL thing that namecoin could potentially accomplish would be to serve as a registry of the correct SSL certificates for websites.  THAT is something the world actually is demanding, i.e. the current system is actually broken.

No wonder price is now 0.007. Really a shame. Even damn ScamCoin is higher than that now ! Sad
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
November 09, 2011, 04:43:38 PM

TOR HIDDEN SERVICES.

November 09, 2011, 03:55:45 PM
The price of NMC is not as important as the security of NMC.

Remember NMC wasn't designed to be a currency.  People who want to register domains can use NMC to do so.  The price point isn't material however without MM NMC would be very vulnerable to a 51% attack.

Yes but I still think a low NMC value is not very good for miners relying on MM to boost profits Smiley
then you should do good by buying alot of them, and make prices raise for some time.

You wish. Until these cryptocurrencies are not properly tested over some time I consider it foolish to put real USD into them. I never even bought BTC at $0.58 Tongue
NMC's function is not as a currency, but as a way to secure domain names. -> price of namecoins, price of a domain.

Well seems I am late to the game. Sony.bit and Google.bit and Apple.bit and Microsoft.bit and ... are all taken up now Sad
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
November 09, 2011, 03:52:37 PM

Remember NMC wasn't designed to be a currency.  People who want to register domains can use NMC to do so.  The price point isn't material however without MM NMC would be very vulnerable to a 51% attack.

Yes but I still think a low NMC value is not very good for miners relying on MM to boost profits Smiley
then you should do good by buying alot of them, and make prices raise for some time.

You wish. Until these cryptocurrencies are not properly tested over some time I consider it foolish to put real USD into them. I never even bought BTC at $0.58 Tongue
NMC's function is not as a currency, but as a way to secure domain names. -> price of namecoins, price of a domain.
November 09, 2011, 03:48:58 PM

legendary
You are WRONG!
November 09, 2011, 03:29:13 PM

November 09, 2011, 03:24:30 PM

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
November 09, 2011, 10:09:47 AM

November 09, 2011, 06:38:59 AM
NMC price at 0.008 now. MM sure is helping.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002
November 08, 2011, 08:40:46 AM
oh i see. but is that the whole truth? it is not many small sells, but a few big ones.
speculation?

Big BTC miners are now mining NMC ??

In the long run I think is logic NMCs to be above their price before merged mining (+/- $0.30) because their use is the same and the security has improved. But in the short-term they have to drop, because new miners don't want to hold nmc like the old ones do.
Probably the drop caused by miners has made some hoarders and speculators sell their share.
November 07, 2011, 05:16:29 PM
Just as in bitcoin.  Supply and demand.  The reason solidcoin is now ahead of bitcoin is the 5 per block.  All mining is basically printing money.  The price will only rise if people have to buy with cash , goods or services.  In other words, 5 years from now.  If demand exceeds new supply then they will also rise.

ScamCoin is only ahead of Bitcoin in your mind.  I guess the 5 per block ignores the 12M premined.  The 1M mined in first 24 hours and the other 1.5M mined before bait and switch to later users.

14.5M premined & mined before switching the rules = ~11 years worth of coins generated before the rules changed.  I would like to point out that Bitcoin still doesn't have 14.5M coins mined and it certainly didn't have a early adopter orgy where "broken" difficulty adjustment resulted in 1M coins minted in 24 hours. 

LOLZ.

King RealScam begs to differ Grin.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
November 07, 2011, 09:50:15 AM
Just as in bitcoin.  Supply and demand.  The reason solidcoin is now ahead of bitcoin is the 5 per block.  All mining is basically printing money.  The price will only rise if people have to buy with cash , goods or services.  In other words, 5 years from now.  If demand exceeds new supply then they will also rise.

ScamCoin is only ahead of Bitcoin in your mind.  I guess the 5 per block ignores the 12M premined.  The 1M mined in first 24 hours and the other 1.5M mined before bait and switch to later users.

14.5M premined & mined before switching the rules = ~11 years worth of coins generated before the rules changed.  I would like to point out that Bitcoin still doesn't have 14.5M coins mined and it certainly didn't have a early adopter orgy where "broken" difficulty adjustment resulted in 1M coins minted in 24 hours. 

LOLZ.
November 07, 2011, 09:27:14 AM
NMC client ( namecoind ) does not currently support wallet encryption OR -rescan command so you can download blockchain from other place.

No wonder price is dropping. Current DNS system is working just fine.
Activity: 717
Merit: 501
November 07, 2011, 06:20:12 AM
NMC are now being produced mostly by people that have no actual interest in namecoin.  They are essentially worthless to them, and they will take whatever they can get.  You can't expect them to remain valuable when people get them for doing literally nothing they weren't doing already.

legendary
You are WRONG!
November 04, 2011, 05:34:55 AM
It would be good to see how those features patch work on the alt crytocurrency first, just like the wallet encryption  Cool
why, fork the client implement your own features... it does not have wallet encryption, it does not even have a wallet. but it supports multiple of them.
im making my own client for the bitcoin network. there is no need to use the satoshi client. im coding my client in python.
o
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
November 04, 2011, 04:03:23 AM
It would be good to see how those features patch work on the alt crytocurrency first, just like the wallet encryption  Cool
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I heart thebaron
November 03, 2011, 05:14:33 AM
Also the value of namecoin is not THAT important anyway, what is important is that NMC miners keep the DNS working.
...and in turn, adds strength to the BTC, who's powerful network it (NMC) gets a free mining ride on Wink
Pages:
Jump to: