Pages:
Author

Topic: Namecoin prices plummeting - opinions? - page 3. (Read 15594 times)

Activity: 392
Merit: 251
June 25, 2011, 08:39:35 PM
Guys, 99% of people don't even know what the hell a browser is either, and yet 45% of the people use Firefox or Chrome. How do you think that happened? Well that's simple, the nerds installed them on every computer they were asked to fix. Same thing could happen with a browser plugin or whatever that resolves .bit domains.

the people who jumped into Namecoin first were opportunists/miners that were looking for a quicker buck than what Bitcoin was going to give them.

Actually my reason for jumping into Namecoin was that I truly believe it is the superior block chain. I'm convinced that if Bitcoin and Namecoin both had started at the same time nobody would know about Bitcoin today. The only thing that Bitcoin has going for it is popularity.
Activity: 252
June 25, 2011, 04:07:22 PM
Then, who do you think might like almost free DNS?

I already listed a bunch of legitimate sites and businesses that might need it at the end of my post.
Nothing against the idea in general.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
June 25, 2011, 03:33:59 PM
What kind of content is going to need protection from DNS seizures

Who need anonymous, decentralized DNS?

How about:
Sites like Wikipedia
Chinese freedom of speech sites
Muslim women's rights organizations

Then, who do you think might like almost free DNS?
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
June 25, 2011, 03:13:41 PM
Which is why it should be as simple as explaining how to configure your browser to view flash or pdf content. Obviously there is only a reason to do so if it enables access to some content that's useful to the user. Such content could be expected to be developed more readily if it was at least easier to get to the sites.

What kind of content is going to need protection from DNS seizures (besides the gambling example that's going to be used here, I do believe people have a right to gamble their money be it on the internet or Las Vegas and wont argue about that)?

To my mind springs instantly certain sites & services, not talking about Silkroad.

Mostly sites that practically contain evidence of crimes against young human beings.
Those people are batshit crazy and paranoid about security & anonymity due to prison realities against their kind.

ah, the old "anti-privacy troll" angle ... like we didn't see that one coming ... why don't you just say "namecoins are for paedophiles, terrorists, money-launderers, druggies and gang-rapists" ...?

yawn ... we've been through all this back when bitcoin was starting, you guys are going to have to go back through the archives to check your originality ... with privacy comes great freedom and responsibility, if it is not for you go back to your gubmint scrip and the debt-slave mind-prison that has become your security blanket .... pants-wetting at first sign or trouble is not cool.
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
June 25, 2011, 02:55:29 PM
Bitcoin has the "care about it" factor. I just don't care about Namecoins. That's why I don't care what the difficulty of mining a Namecoin is right now, the people who jumped into Namecoin first were opportunists/miners that were looking for a quicker buck than what Bitcoin was going to give them. This is ALWAYS going to be the case. You are buying Namecoin from people who didn't think it was a good enough idea to mine Bitcoin itself. This means the difficulty isn't a good way to determine what the value of the coins are, IMHO.
June 25, 2011, 02:43:50 PM
Which is why it should be as simple as explaining how to configure your browser to view flash or pdf content. Obviously there is only a reason to do so if it enables access to some content that's useful to the user. Such content could be expected to be developed more readily if it was at least easier to get to the sites.

What kind of content is going to need protection from DNS seizures (besides the gambling example that's going to be used here, I do believe people have a right to gamble their money be it on the internet or Las Vegas and wont argue about that)?

To my mind springs instantly certain sites & services, not talking about Silkroad.

Mostly sites that practically contain evidence of crimes against young human beings.
Those people are batshit crazy and paranoid about security & anonymity due to prison realities against their kind.

Then again, I could see legitimate activity as well that could be at risk of seizure in the future such as Bitcoin business, prepaid cell phones/visas, online payment processors similar to e-gold, or torrent sites.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
June 25, 2011, 01:22:58 PM
It is an open source project that has been alive for less than 8 weeks and you want what ... a fully functioning distributed DNS service with browser pugins available for download from all major repositories ...  Roll Eyes

... reality check chaps.
Why not? Nobody said it will happen tomorrow. But until/unless the dns aspect matures there is not much setting the project apart from bitcoin except as an alternate speculative token with 'potential' to become more useful.
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo
June 25, 2011, 01:14:41 PM
Still an arbitrary 99% of people do not understand what is a domain name let alone what is the value in a "special type of domain name".

If I tried to guide my grandafther over the phone on how to access a .bit domain I'd be spending the good half of a day on the concept.

It is an open source project that has been alive for less than 8 weeks and you want what ... a fully functioning distributed DNS service with browser pugins available for download from all major repositories ...  Roll Eyes

... reality check chaps.
Activity: 154
June 25, 2011, 01:10:45 PM
Still an arbitrary 99% of people do not understand what is a domain name let alone what is the value in a "special type of domain name".

If I tried to guide my grandafther over the phone on how to access a .bit domain I'd be spending the good half of a day on the concept.

legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo
June 25, 2011, 01:09:22 PM
But those thing can be explained fully in a single sentence to anyone who is confused.  I'm saying that not only do people not understand namecoin, they don't understand anything in your explanation.
My explanation wasn't an explanation of namecoin. It's a description of different ways it could be used. If someone asks me what namecoins are I say "It's a system for registering a special type of domain name".

If I tried to guide him to download the bitcoin client so he can create a wallet, that will take about a minute. Even less for me to send him 0.05BTC as a test.

Who's your grandafther and why does he need to go to .bit domains? Did you tell him how to secure his bitcoin client and wallet.dat against malware on his Win XP machine? 2 days on phone?

Buy some namecoins now for when you are grandafther and they are ubiquitous ... but you'll probably need to be CLI savvy else you are sool ... techie premium barrier to entry.

Activity: 210
June 25, 2011, 01:04:55 PM

On a releated note: Bitcoin.de and Bitcoins.de, sold for €14,875 ($21,420) each
http://www.dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
June 25, 2011, 01:01:50 PM

Yet there is a demand for domain names.

See, the general public don't need to understand the inner workings of namecoins any more than they need to understand the inner workings of, say, a web server, to browse the web.

All that's needed is demand for namecoins. Whether or not it's there, no one really knows yet.
June 25, 2011, 12:50:07 PM
But those thing can be explained fully in a single sentence to anyone who is confused.  I'm saying that not only do people not understand namecoin, they don't understand anything in your explanation.
My explanation wasn't an explanation of namecoin. It's a description of different ways it could be used. If someone asks me what namecoins are I say "It's a system for registering a special type of domain name".

If I tried to guide him to download the bitcoin client so he can create a wallet, that will take about a minute. Even less for me to send him 0.05BTC as a test.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
June 25, 2011, 12:19:07 PM
Namecoin is useful but only for the people who have a need for them.

legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo
June 25, 2011, 12:10:09 PM
We need someone to make a simple program with a simple interface so people can create their adrdess and mine without having to issue command lines and stuff like that.

You are right. Maybe specify the project you want in a good, tight spec. and start asking around for pledges to a bounty? Lots of s/ware talent around here that can be motivated by BTC, NMC bounties.
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
June 25, 2011, 11:27:30 AM
We need someone to make a simple program with a simple interface so people can create their adrdess and mine without having to issue command lines and stuff like that.
Activity: 633
Merit: 500
June 25, 2011, 11:15:51 AM
But those thing can be explained fully in a single sentence to anyone who is confused.  I'm saying that not only do people not understand namecoin, they don't understand anything in your explanation.

Still over everyone's head.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005
June 25, 2011, 11:10:46 AM
But those thing can be explained fully in a single sentence to anyone who is confused.  I'm saying that not only do people not understand namecoin, they don't understand anything in your explanation.
Activity: 633
Merit: 500
June 25, 2011, 10:46:52 AM
99% of Bitcoin users and 100% of regular people have no idea what any of that means.
And that's fine. 99% of regular people have no idea what bitcoins are good for. These things take time to catch on. At some point regular users won't even need to know they're using a namecoin service. There was time time when 99% of regular people didn't know what a [email protected] email address was or what an http://example.com URL was. I remember people thinking I was strange when I used those.

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005
June 25, 2011, 10:42:46 AM
99% of Bitcoin users and 100% of regular people have no idea what any of that means.
And that's fine. 99% of regular people have no idea what bitcoins are good for. These things take time to catch on. At some point regular users won't even need to know they're using a namecoin service. There was time time when 99% of regular people didn't know what a [email protected] email address was or what an http://example.com URL was. I remember people thinking I was strange when I used those.
Pages:
Jump to: