Pages:
Author

Topic: Need help with key generation - page 2. (Read 4553 times)

legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204
The revolution will be digital
August 25, 2014, 07:14:11 AM
-snip-

I'm not monitoring. I'm just gonna check dem balances, if there are balances.

No need to import the private keys to check balances. Just write a little script / programm that queries a known API or even better several APIs in turn. Most wallet programms will not work with 3 million private keys AFAIK anyway. And I am pretty sure if you write blockchain.info a Mail from an university address with a recomendation they will keep the IP (range) from getting banned.

Below is a list of block explorers...

When you check an address balance or a transaction status online, which block explorer do you use ? If you run a service depending on a third party API, which block explorer's API you rely upon ?

Update: I'm listing out the outcome of this thread here...

1. https://blockchain.info/

2. https://blockr.io/

3. https://blockexplorer.com/

4. https://www.biteasy.com/

5. https://chain.so/btc

6. https://helloblock.io/

7. http://bitcoinchain.com/block_explorer

8. https://bkchain.org/btc

9. http://bitinfocharts.com/bitcoin/

10. http://www.blocktrail.com

If u query all of them in a round-robin manner to 3M+ get address values, all of them will ban your IP range for attempt to DDOS. The only way to do this is having the blockchain locally, have it transformed to a local Oracle/MySQL instance with address and its balances in 2 column and query it locally. That way, U'll miss the real time updated values of Bitcoin addresses though.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520
No I dont escrow anymore.
August 25, 2014, 06:45:40 AM
-snip-

No need to import the private keys to check balances. Just write a little script / programm that queries a known API or even better several APIs in turn. Most wallet programms will not work with 3 million private keys AFAIK anyway. And I am pretty sure if you write blockchain.info a Mail from an university address with a recomendation they will keep the IP (range) from getting banned.
Activity: 504
Merit: 250
August 25, 2014, 03:40:01 AM
Electrum is not designed for this.  Use a different wallet.

Any suggestions?

*Blockchain.info only supports up to 400 addresses I think
*Bitcoin core needs the entire blockchain
*Every other wallet is a hassle
August 25, 2014, 01:12:08 AM
Much arguments. I'm getting the hang of this  Grin
August 25, 2014, 01:09:40 AM
My question is why do you have a massive list of private keys? I don't see any use for this other then to mine potential brain wallets hoping that someone will send funds to one of your addresses.

yeah, why?

this is a misuse of electrum...imported keys cannot be restored from seed.  defeats the point of a deterministic wallet.

It's because Electrum doesn't need the whole block chain to work (about 17GB? I have a 3mbps connection. That's gonna take a while.)
The question was not about why you are using a selfish client (although the reasons are likely similar to this answer), but the question is why are you trying to monitor such a large number of private keys? The answer is almost certainly because you are trying to mine brain wallets, which in my opinion/eyes is very unethical.

August 25, 2014, 01:00:13 AM
He already told us exactly which addresses he is going to use:  the address with private key 1 through the address with private key N where N is about 3,000,000.  So, just the first N private keys.

I see nothing unethical about that.  The probability any of those three million address have ever been used, are being used and will ever be used is an insignificant amount above zero.

More power to him.

If this is a threat to Bitcoin then it does not deserve to live.

I suggest he connect to the blockchain.info servers through their API and dump them all in a wallet there.  Set all those addresses to sweep and wait (forever) for some BTC to show up.

I don't see it as a threat either.
I mean, most clients will generate something like e3b0c44298fc1c149afbf4c8996fb92427ae41e4649b934ca495991b7852b855

My list contains privkeys from [insert zeroes here]00001 until [insert zeroes here]2DC6C0 (first 3 million addresses). I agree with BurtW
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
August 25, 2014, 12:51:16 AM
He already told us exactly which addresses he is going to use:  the address with private key 1 through the address with private key N where N is about 3,000,000.  So, just the first N private keys.

I see nothing unethical about that.  The probability any of those three million address have ever been used, are being used and will ever be used is an insignificant amount above zero.

More power to him.

If this is a threat to Bitcoin then it does not deserve to live.

I suggest he connect to the blockchain.info servers through their API and dump them all in a wallet there.  Set all those addresses to sweep and wait (forever) for some BTC to show up.

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
August 25, 2014, 12:45:49 AM
My question is why do you have a massive list of private keys? I don't see any use for this other then to mine potential brain wallets hoping that someone will send funds to one of your addresses.

yeah, why?

this is a misuse of electrum...imported keys cannot be restored from seed.  defeats the point of a deterministic wallet.

It's because Electrum doesn't need the whole block chain to work (about 17GB? I have a 3mbps connection. That's gonna take a while.)
The question was not about why you are using a selfish client (although the reasons are likely similar to this answer), but the question is why are you trying to monitor such a large number of private keys? The answer is almost certainly because you are trying to mine brain wallets, which in my opinion/eyes is very unethical.
August 24, 2014, 10:36:34 PM
yeah but this is a burden on the electrum servers and also it may be slow for you, it is not really designed for this.

I see. I'm working on it.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
August 24, 2014, 10:34:27 PM
yeah but this is a burden on the electrum servers and also it may be slow for you, it is not really designed for this.
August 24, 2014, 08:18:04 PM

yeah, why?

Just use a different (non deterministic) wallet.

I don't need the deterministic nature of electrum. I just want to use it because

1. It supports bulk importation of private keys
2. It doesn't need the full blockchain (saves me some bandwidth)
3. It's compact and simple (1 executable, can be run from anywhere, ease of use when it comes to using multiple wallets)
legendary
August 24, 2014, 08:13:21 PM

yeah, why?

Just use a different (non deterministic) wallet.
August 24, 2014, 08:13:00 PM

Yeah. Just a side project for a paper. I'm gonna submit my results to someone Smiley
Simply write a script to convert the file.  It is very simple.  Read in one line from the file, convert it, output the line to a different file.  Isn't that part of doing the paper?

Why didn't you put them in the correct format when you created the file in the first place?

Can't you just fix the program to correct the output and then just run it again?

1. I generated the list.
2. "Read in one line from the file, convert it, output to a different file" Oh yeah. I'm gonna try making that script (I hope I can do it on Windows)
OK if that is too difficult then
1: fix the program that is generating the addresses
2: run it again

I'm gonna do that right now. Will post back results Smiley
August 24, 2014, 08:12:05 PM

yeah, why?

legendary
August 24, 2014, 08:11:15 PM

Yeah. Just a side project for a paper. I'm gonna submit my results to someone Smiley
Simply write a script to convert the file.  It is very simple.  Read in one line from the file, convert it, output the line to a different file.  Isn't that part of doing the paper?

Why didn't you put them in the correct format when you created the file in the first place?

Can't you just fix the program to correct the output and then just run it again?

1. I generated the list.
2. "Read in one line from the file, convert it, output to a different file" Oh yeah. I'm gonna try making that script (I hope I can do it on Windows)
OK if that is too difficult then
1: fix the program that is generating the addresses
2: run it again
August 24, 2014, 08:08:59 PM

1. I generated the list.
legendary
August 24, 2014, 08:06:26 PM

It is only 3 million lines of output so it cannot take that long to run again.
August 24, 2014, 08:02:51 PM
I have a massive list of bitcoin addresses with their private keys in this format:

private key (hex format)     public key     compressed public key

Now what I want to do is:

1. Get rid of the public key and compressed public key part (maybe move them to a separate file? If possible, yes)
2. Convert ALL hex private keys to WIF private keys (5XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)
3. Import all/part of them into electrum (or other client which doesn't need the full blockchain)

My rig:
Windows 7 64-bit (can also install ubuntu anytime)
4GB ram
a lot of hard diskspace

Any help would be awesome  Grin

if you are really trying to ask fo rhelp cracking private keys on electrum or some other service there is something wrong with you.

1. if you are asking people to help you tha tmeans you have no chance to start with.
2. your computer specs are terrible if you are going to brute force anything.
3. go away and never return.

3. let him try as it will strengthen peoples trust in the technology when he like everyone else fails to crack it. basically if its uncrackable let him try

Eheheheh. True  Grin
August 24, 2014, 08:02:04 PM
you are not the first, you will not be the last.

What are you implying? Can you please elaborate?

People find directory.io or brainwallets and think: All that money, I need to get it. If I just had a way to test the balance of a few million addresses or a way to import a few million private keys into my wallet in order to spend other peoples coins... Ill just ask on bitcointalk.org noone will suspect a thing. Actually it works sometimes, I fell for something similar [1] not so long ago. I didnt fully read the post and missed the "million addresses" part.

I found the answers gmaxwell (esp. this one [2]) gave in that thread very educational and I suspect something similar here. I dont think any private person has a "massive list" of private keys to import which are in a very similar format to the formating directory.io uses. If someone hired by a company has to handle a "massive list" I am sure they will find a way to figure out a solution on their own, they get paid for it after all.

I might be wrong, but I am sure OP will answer with a very good reason for this "massive list" in that case.

tl;dr: I am imply OP is trying to steal someone elses coins. I might be wrong however.

[1] https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/check-balance-of-multiple-bitcoin-addresses-non-py-non-linux-736607
[2] https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8361407

Yes and no :/

Yes because:
1. It's just research. (something to do with RNGs)
2. Maybe I'll sweep the coins that have balances?  Wink
3. It's just the first 3 million addresses (and counting). It's not that massive  Cheesy

First 3 million in this format:
 Private                             Public                  Public Compressed
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 1EHNa6Q4Jz2uvNExL497mE43ikXhwF6kZm 1BgGZ9tcN4rm9KBzDn7KprQz87SZ26SAMH
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
August 24, 2014, 08:00:14 PM
I have a massive list of bitcoin addresses with their private keys in this format:

private key (hex format)     public key     compressed public key

Now what I want to do is:

1. Get rid of the public key and compressed public key part (maybe move them to a separate file? If possible, yes)
2. Convert ALL hex private keys to WIF private keys (5XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)
3. Import all/part of them into electrum (or other client which doesn't need the full blockchain)

My rig:
Windows 7 64-bit (can also install ubuntu anytime)
4GB ram
a lot of hard diskspace

Any help would be awesome  Grin

if you are really trying to ask fo rhelp cracking private keys on electrum or some other service there is something wrong with you.

1. if you are asking people to help you tha tmeans you have no chance to start with.
2. your computer specs are terrible if you are going to brute force anything.
3. go away and never return.

3. let him try as it will strengthen peoples trust in the technology when he, like everyone else fails to crack it. basically if its uncrackable let him try
Pages:
Jump to: