Pages:
Author

Topic: New one fan S7 - page 3. (Read 9695 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
April 08, 2016, 08:04:12 PM
So I know how to attach a fan with no damage to the warranty sticker

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-11829?

then use 3 of the four included screws leave the warranty one alone

put a grill on the other side of the new fan with four small thin zip ties.

this fan from amazon is good

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Denki-SAN-Ace-120mm/dp/B00YOC80IO/ref=sr_1_2?

do you need to do this ?  I have zero clue

but I think if you do this the machine will be easy to over clock

The grille screws are about 120mm apart, but the distance between attachment holes on a 120mm fan (and the spacer probably too) is about 105mm. You can see the difference in my second pic. Unless I misunderstood what you're suggesting.

Okay back to the drawing board.

Well four zip ties to the grill and the gasket may work.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
April 08, 2016, 07:49:13 PM

The grille screws are about 120mm apart, but the distance between attachment holes on a 120mm fan (and the spacer probably too) is about 105mm. You can see the difference in my second pic. Unless I misunderstood what you're suggesting.
legendary
April 08, 2016, 06:50:32 PM

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
April 08, 2016, 01:23:51 PM
LOL they put a warranty sticker on one of the screws:

snip to save space

Thank you for posting I wondered what they would look like.  I am not sure what to think of new blackplate with warranty sticker.  It does seem adding a second fan like I thought might be a good idea... will void warranty so crappy idea.

Guess we will see how they operate with new higher RPM fan.   Hopefully it all runs good and 2nd fan we see is not needed.  I don't have one to test out but some might be like my mining area using lots of CFM's to cool miners.  Hopefully if one would fail in my mining area the CFM's from big fan's would still keep it in a safe zone.  Or at least allow it to safely turn off without getting horribly hot.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
April 08, 2016, 12:44:25 PM
that confirms what i assumed. a whole new backplate.

might be able to put a fan on there if you use zipties instead of screws. Find some thin zipties that will fit through the rear screw hole and ziptie it to the grate.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
April 08, 2016, 12:39:59 PM
LOL they put a warranty sticker on one of the screws:

As you can see the ~1mm thick grille is screwed into the case just like the front plate to which the fan is attached:

To properly attach a fan to the back you would need a similar plate, or perhaps long bolts with large washers could be used through those hex holes.

But to avoid issues with the warranty I think I would just use strong zip ties.

Closeup of one screw:

Miner is not mine (pun intended) and sorry for the greenish pictures, crappy phone was all I had.

Edit: forgot to take a pic of the controller but there is a 4-pin header for the second fan.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
April 08, 2016, 10:50:30 AM
So, just got the S7-F1 hooked up and running. Temps are low today, in the 60's so I went ahead and let it ride at 700 and it's holding steady at 59c on the highest blade with .0005% error rate. Going to let this go for a bit as the temps will rise into the 70's next week. I will keep you all updated on how it goes. As for the noise it does seem a bit quieter than the others but since they are all on the same rack it's hard to tell.

Also, the packaging was all updated, new foam, smaller box etc... So this was definitely not just a stop putting one of the fans on redesign

what/how does the backplate look like. is it a completely new panel or did they slap the grate over the old one? (can you screw mount a fan to the back?)

If possible many of us would love if you could post some pictures of it.   If you could get all 4 sides and a few extra shots would be a great addition to this thread.  If you have a decent camera please think of this Smiley

As soon as I get back to the house tonight I will do that. The backplate looks to be a new panel. Does not look like it will be easy to add a second fan, there are no pre-tapped places to bolt it to anyway... you might be able to take the backplate off and attache the fan to the plate with some washer/nut combo then reattach the plate but that would be about the easiest way I could see of doing it.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
April 08, 2016, 03:09:58 AM
So, just got the S7-F1 hooked up and running. Temps are low today, in the 60's so I went ahead and let it ride at 700 and it's holding steady at 59c on the highest blade with .0005% error rate. Going to let this go for a bit as the temps will rise into the 70's next week. I will keep you all updated on how it goes. As for the noise it does seem a bit quieter than the others but since they are all on the same rack it's hard to tell.

Also, the packaging was all updated, new foam, smaller box etc... So this was definitely not just a stop putting one of the fans on redesign

what/how does the backplate look like. is it a completely new panel or did they slap the grate over the old one? (can you screw mount a fan to the back?)

If possible many of us would love if you could post some pictures of it.   If you could get all 4 sides and a few extra shots would be a great addition to this thread.  If you have a decent camera please think of this Smiley
April 08, 2016, 12:37:24 AM

April 07, 2016, 11:50:56 PM

What are your thoughts on the overall build quality? Was it comparable to previous batches or better/worse?

I would say it's the same. Time will tell though...
Activity: 578
Merit: 501
April 07, 2016, 08:29:30 PM

What are your thoughts on the overall build quality? Was it comparable to previous batches or better/worse?
Activity: 9
April 07, 2016, 08:09:51 PM

That's good to know. I will get my S7-F1's a few days later.

Activity: 546
Merit: 253
April 07, 2016, 07:55:19 PM

Thanks for the update. I'm very interested in seeing how they perform.
April 07, 2016, 07:16:51 PM

April 06, 2016, 11:28:23 PM
been tossing around the idea of getting one as well. waiting to see the results for heat issues. since the backplate has been replaced you cant attach a fan easy. would rather not have to downclock it just to keep it functional. for that ill get an Avalon.

maybe they will realize the error of their ways and the lack of urgency to purchase this version and bring back the 2 fan in version 17.
legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021
April 06, 2016, 10:42:26 PM
I'm tempted to order one myself but I'm trying to hold out for a review on the noise and the heat first.
legendary
April 06, 2016, 09:59:10 PM
4500 rpm (two fans) were producing incredible noise at >=72dB.
I wonder how 6k rpm fan sounds like?

Noise    64 dB(A)
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/QFR1212GHE-SP01/603-1165-ND/1850534

So we're thinking this 6000 rpm fan is quieter than two 4500 rpm fans?

the unit will be loud maybe lower then the two 4500 ones but loud

Downclock from freq 700 to freq 625  will most likely prove the best way to use this miner.

I may order one just to see if I am correct.
legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021
April 06, 2016, 09:49:32 PM

Noise    64 dB(A)
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/QFR1212GHE-SP01/603-1165-ND/1850534

So we're thinking this 6000 rpm fan is quieter than two 4500 rpm fans?
Activity: 578
Merit: 501
April 06, 2016, 09:41:27 PM
otherwise I suppose that have be replaced by two silent fan.
3 pins it will not thermoregulate, let's always 4500 ..
http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00137230.html
30euros so 35usd (both)
17.9 db max.
must be able to find better.
but already big drop.
I wonder if the garanty bitmain still stands after?

That Noctua fan you linked is only 40mm. It simply does not cover enough area. Besides, it only moves 8.2 m3/hour versus the 120mm Delta fan which moves 5.96 m3/min. That is why it is so quiet.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
April 06, 2016, 08:59:06 PM

Noise    64 dB(A)

OK, thanks, it is very helpful, but I find these numbers by manufacturers to be understated by at least 4-6db.
I checked multiple fans before and "real" number during mining was always 4-6db more than what was stated in the specs list.
Pages:
Jump to: