Pages:
Author

Topic: New Orleans "Street Scams" - page 3. (Read 5733 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1009
August 08, 2014, 08:52:38 PM
What expect from the vodoo city?

Just avoid the city if you can, otherwise carry a gun or hire some security team.

But I would stick with the don't go to New Orleans option.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
August 08, 2014, 07:45:34 PM
Carry or at least get a knife, and if not just be ready to fight. Travel in groups. Have a phone handy just in case.

Most of all, carry yourself straight and with confidence. Be aware of your surroundings. Hustlers and punks know in the first glance which ones to avoid and which ones are easy marks.

From a racial angle, non-blacks of any color should be fully prepared to fight against blacks in new orleans. To be unprepared otherwise or pretend you are down with em because you happened to be a bit tan is first ticket to being seen as their bitch.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
August 08, 2014, 05:10:35 PM
Stick to well lit areas. Travel in groups. Don't let anyone in the quarter that you don't know stop you, they are probably scam artists. The most common scam is for a person to bet you an amount of money they know where you got your shoes and when. Answer: 'On yo feet, and in Nawlins.' Just be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.
Activity: 854
Merit: 500
August 08, 2014, 04:56:54 PM
They do not fuck around!

If you are American, carry a gun and be prepared to use it. If you are a foreign tourist, carry a big metal flaslight and walk in large groups.

- http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Louisiana/New_Orleans-793014/Warnings_or_Dangers-New_Orleans-Bad_Neighborhoods-BR-1.html
Activity: 854
Merit: 500
August 08, 2014, 04:48:07 PM
Never have I seen a city that only has negative reviews online. Every single post is only complaining about homeless people:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Louisiana/New_Orleans-793014/Warnings_or_Dangers-New_Orleans-Betcha_I_can_tell_ya_where_ya_got_dem_shoes-BR-1.html

Person on street: I bet you $20 I know where you got them shoes!

Tourist: ...Okay

Person on street: You got them shoes on your feet!

Tourist: Incorrect! I got them at a store, but I have them on my feet. English has thwarted you yet again my noble friend!

then you get stabbed.

Ready to lose more money? The question after the famous 'shoes' trick is this "Double or nothing, guvner. Give me your last name and I will spell your first name."
Which you, being afraid to walk away from a smiling black guy, then do - shaking his hand and sealing the bet.
He spells "y-o-u-r-l-a-s-t-n-a-m-e"

Someone stopped us acting all friendly and before we knew it we were hit with the "I bet I can tell you where you got 'dem shoes" scam. Of course I knew that the answer was "On my feet on Bourbon St" but instead of just walking away immediately as we should have, we stood there and let her (yes...HER) pull the "I bet I can spell your last name" scam out of the bag. When I didn't respond she drooped down and "shined" my tennis shoes and demanded money. I gave her a dollar and she got up in my face and said that wasn't enough. She was kinda scary so my husband gave her another dollar and she walked on. We learned a big lesson from this. Do not allow yourself to be put in this situation. If someone you don't know tries to stop you or talk to you...don't let them. Act like you don't speak English if you have to...just don't give them an opportunity to do this to you.

That city is worse than Detroit. In Detroit they are at least trying to build up an economy again with new industry. This city was hit by Katrina and they didn't even try to fix it after that!
Pages:
Jump to: