Pages:
Author

Topic: New Project; Need Input (What do you buy with BTC?) - page 2. (Read 1605 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
It is true that most bitcoin sales are now priced in fiat, but it is certainly worth designing such a price index immediately. It could help everyone understand the development of bitcoin over time, and more (accurate) information is almost always a good thing.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Or are you trying to show the affordability to goods in various regions, simply using Bitcoin instead of fiat?  This would be similar to the Big Mac index:
 - http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

Yes, the Big Mac Index is really just a play off of traditional CPI.

Hopefully I can find some fundamental goods that aren't just a function of fiat (although fiat exchange rates certainly still affect price, just as any currency is interconnected with others).
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
The first step is to determine what goods should be included in the basket.

Isn't the price (in bitcoins) those vendors show nearly always just derived from a price in fiat then converted to bitcoins?

As such, I'd like to start tracking the value of BTC in terms of Purchasing Power (PP) by calculating and maintaining a specialized Consumer Price Index (CPI) that contains a basket of goods that are commonly purchased with BTC.

Or are you trying to show the affordability to goods in various regions, simply using Bitcoin instead of fiat?  This would be similar to the Big Mac index:
 - http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
I'm becoming tired of people referring to the value of bitcoins in terms of US dollars. If that's all that we see BTC as, it is really just a financial instrument layered on top of USD.

As such, I'd like to start tracking the value of BTC in terms of Purchasing Power (PP) by calculating and maintaining a specialized Consumer Price Index (CPI) that contains a basket of goods that are commonly purchased with BTC.

The first step is to determine what goods should be included in the basket.

Please list the top 5 things (aside from currency) that you buy with BTC. Bonus points for links to the places that sell them. If you have less than 5, I'd still like your input.
Pages:
Jump to: