Pages:
Author

Topic: new(b) rig - page 2. (Read 1515 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
July 20, 2011, 10:44:35 AM
In one of my rigs i run 4x5850@930MHz on a 750W PSU, so you should be fine.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
July 20, 2011, 09:39:44 AM
I just ordered a 6950 and a new box.  The power supply says it has  4 x 6+2-Pin.  I don't know what the +2 means, but I assume this will be a separate connector on the same line.  The motherboard has 2 PCI E slots, but it just read they are 2.0 and the video card is 2.1.  Does this mean an instant return? 
Ok did my research, looks like that is fine, but I'm not seeing if I'll lose anything by not having the newest connection.  Will it nerf my GPU?
I haven't built a computer in a long time.  I'm not sure how to count the wattage for these new huge video cards, I'm pretty sure since it has the connections it would be able to handle a second 6950 if I got it, especially at 750 watts, but I figured I'd ask since I'm here.
In the hardware comparison wiki it has 6950 x 4 as an option, does x2 do well?
Thanks

4 x 6 + 2 means that it can support 2 Video Cards SLI or Crossfired, You have 4 cables that have 6 set pins each and an additional 2 Pins for each cable which is meant for more powerful cards.

So a 5850 requires 2 power cables plugged into this layout ||| |||

While a 5970 or a 6990 requires 2 power cables plugged but also needs an additional 1 set of pins so the layout is this ||| ||||

You do not need to worry about the PCI-E being 2.0 vs 2.1 for mining its fine.

750 watts is fine for up to 2 GPU's you could do 3 but its pushing it, So if your using a 6950 each only have 1 GPU core each so you could do 2 but to do 3 your power supply doesn't have enough connections which may be a good sign that you shouldn't push it.

2 is fine OC'ed but 3 depends on how hard you are pushing it and I would get a voltage meter and determine how much you are pulling with 2 6950 cards.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
decentralizedhashing.com
July 19, 2011, 09:24:36 PM
I just ordered a 6950 and a new box.  The power supply says it has  4 x 6+2-Pin.  I don't know what the +2 means, but I assume this will be a separate connector on the same line.  The motherboard has 2 PCI E slots, but it just read they are 2.0 and the video card is 2.1.  Does this mean an instant return? 
Ok did my research, looks like that is fine, but I'm not seeing if I'll lose anything by not having the newest connection.  Will it nerf my GPU?
I haven't built a computer in a long time.  I'm not sure how to count the wattage for these new huge video cards, I'm pretty sure since it has the connections it would be able to handle a second 6950 if I got it, especially at 750 watts, but I figured I'd ask since I'm here.
In the hardware comparison wiki it has 6950 x 4 as an option, does x2 do well?
Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: