Pages:
Author

Topic: Newbie DO'S and DONT'S? - page 4. (Read 4464 times)

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
July 02, 2014, 11:57:09 AM
What programs/software could i use, if there is any that could detect if the files i'm downloading is safe or not?

Is malwarebytes enough?  Huh
This why i love open source software. For example, bitcoin-QT. The reason I can safely assume that it is virus free is because nothing is hidden. The source code is released along with the executable file. Any mal-ware in the code would be easily spotted.
Proprietary software keeps the source code hidden and you must rely on anti-virus software, which might not work.  
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Bitmark Developer
July 02, 2014, 11:54:29 AM
to earn BTC

Do what you do best, or as a day job, and accept BTC as payment.

The operative word is "earn".
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
LIR Dev. www.letitride.io
July 02, 2014, 11:51:50 AM
Probably already been said but be wary of installing wallets for new alt-currencies, I've heard of at least two wallets with keyloggers. Also make sure to download from official websites and not random links posted up on the forum.
Would you mind sharing a little bit details? I have tried to search with Google but got no results.

The Tradercoin wallet contained a keylogger/trojan:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/mrdreamanonym-tradercoin-cointains-viruskeylogger-317201

"Carefull this newly released coin seems to contain a virus or keylogger -
It creates the a fake crss file in the C:\Users\acer\AppData\Local\Temp\crss.exe
then creates the following registry directory too:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\MXsound
The process is then found in msconfig under the name MXsound (crss.exe)"
Activity: 60
Merit: 10
★☆★Bitin.io★☆★
July 02, 2014, 11:17:47 AM
What programs/software could i use, if there is any that could detect if the files i'm downloading is safe or not?

Is malwarebytes enough?  Huh
legendary
July 02, 2014, 10:50:53 AM
Some of these are repeats... but they deserve being repeated!

• Don't download programs from the Internet. This rule is difficult to follow 100%; just be aware that each new program you download and run could be the one that steals your BTC.

Have there actually been any cases of people downloading software and having their BTC coins hacked? I know there's a lot of 'automatic bitcoin' software out there that are obvious scams, but I'm saying more subtle things like Alt Coin wallets, someone downloads an Alt Coin wallet installation and all of a sudden their BTC coins are gone. Any cases of that yet?

Yes. This has happened many times.
Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
July 02, 2014, 09:06:12 AM
Probably already been said but be wary of installing wallets for new alt-currencies, I've heard of at least two wallets with keyloggers. Also make sure to download from official websites and not random links posted up on the forum.

Would you mind sharing a little bit details? I have tried to search with Google but got no results.

• Don't download programs from the Internet. This rule is difficult to follow 100%; just be aware that each new program you download and run could be the one that steals your BTC.

Have there actually been any cases of people downloading software and having their BTC coins hacked? I know there's a lot of 'automatic bitcoin' software out there that are obvious scams, but I'm saying more subtle things like Alt Coin wallets, someone downloads an Alt Coin wallet installation and all of a sudden their BTC coins are gone. Any cases of that yet?

I guess that depends on your definition of "subtle", but one thing is for certain: there's some new piece of malware posted on the forums every couple of weeks, and it's been getting a bit more clever each time. This is a trend that I'd guess is very likely to continue.

Take this one for example. The website it points to looked surprising professional even though it had some broken links (it's currently down, so you'll just have to take my word for it). It wasn't posted by a newbie which gave it a little credibility (I'm pretty sure the forum account it was posted under was hacked). The malware itself wasn't all that clever given that it tripped a bunch of antivirus (probably some existing RATware if I had to guess), but overall it wasn't immediately obvious.

Here's another one that's a little more clever. Not the nicest looking website, and it is posted by a newbie, but it claims to be open source and even has a link the the supposed source on GitHub. There's also someone who's not a newbie who is somewhat defending it. The malware itself isn't an off-the-shelf package-- it appears to have been custom written and doesn't trip antivirus unlike the first example.

I'd have to guess that these kinds of examples are already fooling at least some people, otherwise why would their respective authors keep bothering (both of those examples were not the first of their kind...)?
Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
July 02, 2014, 08:28:51 AM
RodeoX, baitty, Acidyo, thanks for the kind words.

Awesome list! Did you compile it yourself?

This should be a sticky in this section.

Yes, it comes from years of trial and error ( mostly the latter...  Roll Eyes )
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
July 02, 2014, 04:56:21 AM
most of this advices are too vague
dont get scammed, if that would be so simple there would be no scams
people dont know they are scammed until they got scammed
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?
July 02, 2014, 04:05:31 AM
Activity: 633
July 02, 2014, 03:59:40 AM

Activity: 630
July 02, 2014, 03:53:20 AM

Activity: 633
July 02, 2014, 03:34:59 AM
Have there actually been any cases of people downloading software and having their BTC coins hacked?

Here is just one example of such malware.
http://www.coindesk.com/chrome-extension-could-vulnerable-malware/
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
July 02, 2014, 02:54:31 AM
to earn BTC you can sell you service here
and for some free rewards try faucets
Activity: 193
Merit: 100
July 01, 2014, 09:33:27 PM
Never listen to someone when they tell you that a certain altcoin is going to hit it big.  They're all gambles.

Oh and AwesomeSauceCoin is going to the moon!  Just kidding Wink
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
July 01, 2014, 08:56:36 PM
and some tips to earn BTC  Smiley

Don't spend too much time on faucets and stay away from mining (especially cloud mining) unless you know what you're doing. It's highly likely to be unprofitable.

Don't use online wallets

Blockchain.info isn't that bad.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
July 01, 2014, 08:35:08 PM
Don't use online wallets

So your saying not to use coinbase? What exactly is wrong with using coinbase if you transfer the bitcoin to a cold storage wallet after receiving bitcoin?

I would only put my "expendable" coins there. And always use 2 factor authentication.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
The General
July 01, 2014, 08:32:31 PM

Activity: 532
Currently held as collateral by monbux
July 01, 2014, 07:34:43 PM
legendary
July 01, 2014, 07:03:35 PM
Don't use online wallets

So your saying not to use coinbase? What exactly is wrong with using coinbase if you transfer the bitcoin to a cold storage wallet after receiving bitcoin?
I think he means for storage. The guiding principal is about control of the private key. Unless you are the only one who has the private key, you do not own any bitcoin. It's fine to use a place like coinbase if you move them to a cold wallet right away.

Aloso...
Great list bro! Thanks for this.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
July 01, 2014, 06:56:58 PM
Don't use online wallets

Pages:
Jump to: