Pages:
Author

Topic: Newbie here - which low budget miner to get? - page 2. (Read 2321 times)

Activity: 542
Merit: 250
December 15, 2015, 09:34:40 PM
I would go with the Antminer setup, the S3's are built like tanks, and (if good ones) will overclock to 250mhz for roughly 1TH of performance.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
December 15, 2015, 07:53:36 PM
Your electricity cost is way, way too high then. You'd have to go for something more efficient and even then, if you can't ROI before the halving, you probably wont at all. You could run the Math with a S5, see if you can get your return before then.
I might be able to lower the electricity cost, but I don't want to count on that. I'm working on the "worst case".
S5s are really harder to find.

Given that, even with the halving, I will still gain a minimum by the difference. How much will difficulty increases affect the revenue?
How are hardware prices related to halving? I know this is just the second one in history, but I guess that a mining machine, after the halving, will be much less valuable than now, isn't it?

The halving is kind of distant right now, but when its close, a ton of people are going to dump their hardware.

So whatever you get now, you need to plan to get your ROI before then.

And for difficulty. A 100% raise equal a 50% loss in BTC income. Effectively the same as a halving.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
December 15, 2015, 07:48:11 PM
Your electricity cost is way, way too high then. You'd have to go for something more efficient and even then, if you can't ROI before the halving, you probably wont at all. You could run the Math with a S5, see if you can get your return before then.
I might be able to lower the electricity cost, but I don't want to count on that. I'm working on the "worst case".
S5s are really harder to find.

Given that, even with the halving, I will still gain a minimum by the difference. How much will difficulty increases affect the revenue?
How are hardware prices related to halving? I know this is just the second one in history, but I guess that a mining machine, after the halving, will be much less valuable than now, isn't it?
legendary
December 15, 2015, 07:28:15 PM
Hi all,
I'm new to this world and would like to get an ASIC miner, just for fun: I don't need one to earn, but I'd like it to pay its current bills and, on long time, to pay back its price, maybe.

If this is your aim then the data you are looking at is missing the two of the most important parameters. The efficiency of the Miner in J/GH and your Electricity cost in Cents / KWh

You must use these to work out how much money you will be making at the current difficulty, and then factor in Difficulty increases and the all important Halving that will take place in the first half of 2016.

Someone will point you at an online calculator to help you in this.

Rich

That is scaring me a bit. I rent a 1800GH/s miner for a day and earnt about 6€, so I guess that a 900GH/s machine would produce roughly 3€/day. Given the price for my current, I pay 1.1€/day to keep a 700W miner running, so I could get about 1.9€/day.
The halving means that those 3€ will became 1.5€? That might be pretty bad

December 15, 2015, 07:17:23 PM
Hi all,
I'm new to this world and would like to get an ASIC miner, just for fun: I don't need one to earn, but I'd like it to pay its current bills and, on long time, to pay back its price, maybe.

If this is your aim then the data you are looking at is missing the two of the most important parameters. The efficiency of the Miner in J/GH and your Electricity cost in Cents / KWh

You must use these to work out how much money you will be making at the current difficulty, and then factor in Difficulty increases and the all important Halving that will take place in the first half of 2016.

Rich

That is scaring me a bit. I rent a 1800GH/s miner for a day and earnt about 6€, so I guess that a 900GH/s machine would produce roughly 3€/day. Given the price for my current, I pay 1.1€/day to keep a 700W miner running, so I could get about 1.9€/day.
The halving means that those 3€ will became 1.5€? That might be pretty bad
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
December 15, 2015, 06:56:08 PM
Hi all,

My choice is between two devices (of course suggestions are welcome):

- Dragon Miner T1 - 1TH/s and 1kW, low price, seems great but I'm still unsure about its overall quality.
- 2x Antminer S3 - 450GH/s and 350W -> 900GH/s and 700W in total. More GH/s per W, but price is slightly higher and the external power supply might be "unhandy"

What is your suggestion? Any experience with the Dragon T1? It seems like a Chinese miner (while I don't expect the Antminer to be USA-made Cheesy).
Another question, what is the difference between the S3 and S3+? I might get the S3 or the S3+, the seller is not clear, is this a deal breaker?

Any help or suggestion is appreciated!
Thanks

the s-3's are better in the sense they are light and easy to move.  they run pretty quiet and there are low cost fans for it to be even quieter.

if you are in the usa lots of good psu's are around. you will need cheap power for these units. if you want to earn a profit.

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
December 15, 2015, 06:49:15 PM
Hi all,

Rich

legendary
December 15, 2015, 06:25:47 PM
Hi all,

- Dragon Miner T1 - 1TH/s and 1kW, low price, seems great but I'm still unsure about its overall quality.
- 2x Antminer S3 - 450GH/s and 350W -> 900GH/s and 700W in total. More GH/s per W, but price is slightly higher and the external power supply might be "unhandy"

What is your suggestion? Any experience with the Dragon T1? It seems like a Chinese miner (while I don't expect the Antminer to be USA-made Cheesy).
Another question, what is the difference between the S3 and S3+? I might get the S3 or the S3+, the seller is not clear, is this a deal breaker?

Thanks

There's no difference between a S3+ and a S3. Beside the first batch of S3. Some S3 and S3+ overclock better than other, either way its something you need to individually check with the seller before buying, its not specific to the + or non + version.

I would probably go with the S3's because they're more handy.
December 15, 2015, 06:19:49 PM
Hi all,

Thanks

Pages:
Jump to: