Pages:
Author

Topic: Newbie Reminder: Treat Exchanges as Marketplaces - page 2. (Read 488 times)

staff
Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111
Advantage of having your BTC in a cold wallet
1. You have total control over your funds
2. It can't be stolen or hacked

Example of a cold wallet Is Electrum wallet
Electrum can be used as a cold wallet, however by default or the most common usage it's not. If you ran Electrum in a offline environment, it would be considered cold storage, but even then you have to handle the downloading of Electrum, and the transfer to a offline computer, very carefully.

Also, it could technically still be stolen or compromised. There's always a physical threat, and it entirely depends on how you've secured it. Plus, there's no such thing as absolute security, there's always going to be flaws whether that's through the user or the software itself. You can only reasonably secure something, since you aren't going to know all the flaws until they're discovered, and there's been many in the past.

Some don't consider hardware wallets as cold wallets. Then again, they don't consider them as hot wallets either. They are somewhere in the middle. Unless airgapped, they rely on an internet connection for normal functioning, but some are equipped with chips that provide a safe enclosure for your keys and sensitive information.     
Technically, they aren't cold wallets. They're pretty much more secure hot wallets in my opinion. Even then, hardware wallets are usually susceptible to some nifty physical attacks. So, again they aren't absolutely secure. However, they're probably my recommendation to new users that new their wallet to be connected to the internet.
Activity: 1344
Merit: 742
Just like we warn investors about risking what the can afford to lose the same goes to day traders on centralised exchanges leaving the amount that is worth losing on a single exchange.
Very few people can absorb advice, warning and practice good preventive activities. They usually skip warnings and try to learn from their experience but unfortunately learning cost by themselves is not small.

Day trading has never given passive income since it's origin so why risk so heavily, it is of no use waiting to move funds monthly it can be done as soon as a certain target is achieved or at the end of every trade depending on the account size.
Storing your coin on centralized exchanges too long is very bad and FTX is an example. If you trade daily, you have to store your coins on exchanges and it is a beginning of nightmare.

People are more favorite to use centralized exchanges than decentralized exchanges because they want to have higher trading volume, less margin of price changes (don't like high slippage on decentralized exchanges), lower trading fees (don't have to spend fee for each trading transactions by swaps). At the end, they take high risk with centralized exchanges.

Last but not least, trading daily is very difficult to get profit.
Activity: 966
Merit: 421
Bitcoindata.science

Day traders can't really afford to move their funds to their wallet everyday but its possible to follow by other kind of traders.

Yeah it's a challenge for daily traders. I had suggested before that it will be better to split them into two or more exchanges depending on on the traders fund. At least its rare to have all exchanges having issues at the same time. Then monthly some of the funds can be moved to wallets. This could minimise the risk.

Just like we warn investors about risking what the can afford to lose the same goes to day traders on centralised exchanges leaving the amount that is worth losing on a single exchange. Day trading has never given passive income since it's origin so why risk so heavily, it is of no use waiting to move funds monthly it can be done as soon as a certain target is achieved or at the end of every trade depending on the account size.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Dear newbies, please treat exchanges, such as Binance, KuCoin, Kraken, Huobi, OKX, and Coinbase, as marketplaces.
That also means you should select the exchange with lowest withdrawal rates. Check that before using them!
See for instance WithdrawalFees.com.

Some exchanges (Binance for instance) try to trick you into withdrawing FAKE Bitcoins (on their own made-up (centralized) chain). They now have about 5 different withdrawal options, while only one of them is Bitcoin. DO NOT fall for this, or you won't have the keys to your Bitcoins.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 379
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
Absolutely correct.
Most time its only when i want to sell to local currency i would deposit or whenever the market seems to be waving, i might immediately deposit to sell to a stablecoin in other to save my investment from losing value this is because i don't tend to hold for long terms after which i withdraw back to storing wallet. Those who had it in mind to hold for long term should go for cold wallet where they have full control of their assets.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Electrum is not synonymous for cold wallet, but the software can be used both as a cold or a hot storage solution. It's never a cold wallet if used on an everyday computer that is connected to the internet. But it works on an airgapped and cleanly formatted system that can't connect to the internet any longer. 

I also believe that the current events with exchanges will be a lesson and same way sound a warning to everyone using centralized exchanges to take oft their life earnings and assets off from them in other not to be a victim just as in the case of FTX.
FTX wasn't the first exchange that created major drama for its users and it will certainly not be the last one. People didn't learn before, and I don't think they will learn now. There are plenty of folks going: I am so glad I kept my coins on KuCoin, Binance, etc., and not on FTX. And that's the problem. If it doesn't affect them personally, they don't consider it too big of an issue and see no reason to change their behavior. 

these are some example of complete cold hardware wallets; Ledger Nano X. Trezor One. SafePal S1 etc.
Some don't consider hardware wallets as cold wallets. Then again, they don't consider them as hot wallets either. They are somewhere in the middle. Unless airgapped, they rely on an internet connection for normal functioning, but some are equipped with chips that provide a safe enclosure for your keys and sensitive information.     
Activity: 882
Merit: 274
It's over for CeFi.

I hope newbies and trader will start believing DeFi more after all the shady mismanagement of funds that FTX got itself into, this is never going to be erased from crypto history ever.

Now FTX scandal is going to join the likes of Bitconnect, Onecoin and Luna.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 4265
✿♥‿♥✿
Great comparison; it would be great to explain to beginners all the other points in such a simple way. But people have a short memory, and very quickly the drama that happened with FTX will go down in history. In the next topic, we saw agitation for the storage of funds on the exchange and a strong belief that the exchanges are obliged to return losses. This suggests that no matter how simple the language we try to use to explain the dangers of holding funds on exchanges, there will always be people who read vertically.
Activity: 826
Merit: 583
Putting assets on an exchange is very risky. what happened to FTX certainly teaches us a lesson. we have no control over our assets. everything is owned by a third party. so it's better now we get used to storing assets in our wallets. if can't have a hardware wallet, an online wallet like Trustwallet is fine for a while too.

SafePal S1 etc.
The safepal S1 hardware wallet is also not used to store our assets there. the hardware used will direct us to the online wallet on the smartphone to access it. not much different from Trustwallet. the hardware is only used as a validator when making outgoing transactions. so it will be safer when we put our assets there.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1228
Day traders can't really afford to move their funds to their wallet everyday but its possible to follow by other kind of traders.
Somehow I get your point, obviously because the transaction fees that exchanges charge when withdrawing their funds will affect day traders decisions.

I'm not sure newbie with a low investment value would be willing to withdraw their funds from the exchange just because of the OP's suggestion. In fact, binance convinces its users with SAFU [even if that's not a good reason] so many of their customers believe that their funds are safe. I trust in a certain amount on exchange, but of course for the amount I can afford to lose. The right choice is as suggested, but certainly not really adopted by all users.

In addition, storing funds in a wallet that is fully controlled by the user is also not completely safe if you do not understand and practice good security. One other smart thought is, don't keep your funds in one basket. But there's nothing wrong about the OP's suggestion, I full support for it.
staff
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1610
The Naija & BSFL Sherrif 📛

Gives you access to your keys but Electrum wallet offers hot storage which is still hackable, these are some example of complete cold hardware wallets; Ledger Nano X. Trezor One. SafePal S1 etc.

Activity: 770
Merit: 180
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
Dear newbies, please treat exchanges, such as Binance, KuCoin, Kraken, Huobi, OKX, and Coinbase, as marketplaces. What do I mean? Just as you do not leave your goods on the market after you have paid for them, you take them home with you. Consider your coins as the goods you bought at the marketplace. Your bitcoins should only be stored in cold storage wallets after purchase, and transferred out when you want to sell them. It takes less than 10 minutes. Remember, if you don't have the keys, it's not your coins.
With this in mind is it a plausibility that coins kept in wallets can be affected by the bear or bull seasons?
Also, it is quite important to adhere to this cautionary thread in order not to fall victim of manipulations, hack or simple loss due to effect of the exchange seasons.
Your last phrase however, is the most important. 'If you don't have the keys, its not your coins.' I pray to never forget mine as it has happened in previous occasions and be more open and willing to learn, trade and invest as this is a market and I don't know why I would be here if not for making gains.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 2196
Signature Space For Rent
Yep, well said. This a pretty good example to show the reality. We have never been supported to keep your funds in the exchange ever and day by day it's becoming more transparent. A lot of things happening in the crypto world which have been making this space more worst. We should take the lesson from history. There are a lot of reasons why shouldn't store your crypto in the exchange. It's been never safe and won't be safe ever.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1150
Your bitcoins should only be stored in cold storage wallets after purchase, and transferred out when you want to sell them. It takes less than 10 minutes. Remember, if you don't have the keys, it's not your coins.
Deliberately bold the sentence above because it is a truth. Ironically to date nothing will stop people from having their assets in exchanges. They decide whatever they want including save their funds on the exchange.

The last thing is, regret will come too late even if now everything seems safe. There are many exchange hacking incidents, it is the most feared thing but actually it also doesn't prevent people's interest from having funds in exchange. This solution is for those who care about the safety of their funds in the long term so they don't care about the fee incurred to transfer assets to a personal wallet.
Activity: 1498
Merit: 702
OP is this post only about Bitcoin? Well in my own opinion it shouldn't come to think of it many Newbies but more altcoins that bitcoin.
So regardless of the coin you are buying I also support you do what the OP has said on his post. I think their are some exchange that try to offer users some freebies when they leave their coins on that exchange, it still are dangerous risk that is far more disastrous than any benefits the exchange may want to offer. Exchanges is a literally understandable and take it for what the word stands for and not and a double tasking application that you can also use as a wallet. Open a personal wallet is easy and keeping it safe is easy as well.
Activity: 854
Merit: 539
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
Your bitcoins should only be stored in cold storage wallets after purchase, and transferred out when you want to sell them. It takes less than 10 minutes. Remember, if you don't have the keys, it's not your coins.

I also believe that the current events with exchanges will be a lesson and same way sound a warning to everyone using centralized exchanges to take oft their life earnings and assets off from them in other not to be a victim just as in the case of FTX , we don't know which other exchange will be the next very soon because we are in the peak of market volatility and this has proof to be one of the means whereby some exchanges were exposed or being casted.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1125
Dear newbies, please treat exchanges, such as Binance, KuCoin, Kraken, Huobi, OKX, and Coinbase, as marketplaces. What do I mean? Just as you do not leave your goods on the market after you have paid for them, you take them home with you. Consider your coins as the goods you bought at the marketplace. Your bitcoins should only be stored in cold storage wallets after purchase, and transferred out when you want to sell them. It takes less than 10 minutes. Remember, if you don't have the keys, it's not your coins.
This advice has literally been said hundreds of times to beginners or anyone who has deposited their assets on the exchange. I don't think things will change especially many active traders will not care about this advice because they believe that as long as they are still trading then having assets on the exchange will allow them to take advantage of opportunities much quicker.

Your advice is more suitable for investors or for those who have not traded anything on the exchange for a long period of time. So don't equalize traders and investors even though it is true exchange is not a completely safe place for our assets.
Activity: 728
Merit: 897

Yeah it's a challenge for daily traders. I had suggested before that it will be better to split them into two or more exchanges depending on on the traders fund. At least its rare to have all exchanges having issues at the same time. Then monthly some of the funds can be moved to wallets. This could minimise the risk.
Activity: 2366
Merit: 793
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
I really don't understand why would anyone use a CEX these days. Especially for "normal" spot trading. I understand that Ethereum fees are still too high to use Uniswap for a daily trading but there are bunch of L2 solutions that users can trade one with very little gas fee.

And then there is leverage trading. Before it wasn't that easy to do leverage trading on a decentralized exchanges but lately there is an increased popularity in DEXes where users can do leverage trading.

And additional benefit is that no one is forcing you to do KYC on a decentralized exchange while on some centralized exchanges KYC is mandatory.

Decentralized exchanges are not really user friendly and also lacks trading volume which is the reason why newbies and regular traders trust the centralized exchanges. Ofcourse KYC becomes mandatory in almost all the exchange but with the coming years it is not avoidable so people get used to that since they are making money from it.

Activity: 728
Merit: 308
Dear newbies, please treat exchanges, such as Binance, KuCoin, Kraken, Huobi, OKX, and Coinbase, as marketplaces. What do I mean? Just as you do not leave your goods on the market after you have paid for them, you take them home with you. Consider your coins as the goods you bought at the marketplace.
I did not learn this on time, but I was lucky not to learn the lesson the bitter way, that "not your keys, not your coins" sentence that is used many times here made me realize that exchanges cannot be trusted. The recent situation in cryptocurrency is enough for people who have not known this to learn about it now, but I still think some people will not learn and will never learn, even some who learn, may still forget about it when the importance of this is no longer stressed.
Pages:
Jump to: