Pages:
Author

Topic: Next consumer model miner - page 5. (Read 8926 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
February 23, 2015, 03:30:02 PM
If I can get our current project working well, I definitely want to look into building some home-scale miners if none of the big guys do. Certainly won't be easy but if what we want to do is possible it could be pretty decent.
There doesn't seem to be a shortage of people who would be willing to work on that sort of thing, either on their own or in a collaboration.  If only chip availability weren't such an issue.

Avalon4 chips are and have been open for 3rd parties since release. Spondoolies often opens their chips up but availability is a bit behind actual release. I'd assume if you can put in a big enough order that Bitfury might consider taking your money as well, even Bitmain.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
February 23, 2015, 03:23:33 PM
I've got dibs on engineering the housing hardware!
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
February 23, 2015, 03:22:00 PM
If I can get our current project working well, I definitely want to look into building some home-scale miners if none of the big guys do. Certainly won't be easy but if what we want to do is possible it could be pretty decent.
There doesn't seem to be a shortage of people who would be willing to work on that sort of thing, either on their own or in a collaboration.  If only chip availability weren't such an issue.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
February 23, 2015, 03:06:53 PM
legendary
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8049
'The right to privacy matters'
February 23, 2015, 12:59:27 PM
Since they've made exactly one home miner ever. Granted it's a really freakin' good one...

Lets be fair, if it wasn't priced to clear then it wouldn't be nearly as popular compared to S5s [if they didn't also have jet fans] or the Avalon4. Really the Avalon4 is what the SP20 should have been in terms of design.

Avalon seems to be a good miner and silent, but the price is just too far out there to be considered.

Question is the next home miner.

I suspect there will be few if any options left given the push to larger more powerful units in order to save costs.

No more "home" miners will likely be built in the next generation of miners.

yeah no home mining other then using it for a space heater seems to be what will happen.

I will keep the s-3's and use a timer for my friends office.  they will turn on at 6am and run until 6pm .  he used a spaceheater before these.  the office was too cold in the summer due to ac and in the winter due to lack of heat from the landlord.

I will keep the avalon 4.1.
 The one sp20
the last 3 sp20e's
the 1 s-5
will move out on ebay.

I think I may sell off all my coins.  Turn into a bear and just scan and lurk hoping for coins to bottom out.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
February 23, 2015, 12:50:23 PM
Since they've made exactly one home miner ever. Granted it's a really freakin' good one...

Lets be fair, if it wasn't priced to clear then it wouldn't be nearly as popular compared to S5s [if they didn't also have jet fans] or the Avalon4. Really the Avalon4 is what the SP20 should have been in terms of design.

Avalon seems to be a good miner and silent, but the price is just too far out there to be considered.

Question is the next home miner.

I suspect there will be few if any options left given the push to larger more powerful units in order to save costs.

No more "home" miners will likely be built in the next generation of miners.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
February 22, 2015, 05:07:51 AM
Lets be fair, if it wasn't priced to clear then it wouldn't be nearly as popular compared to S5s

I like both miners myself.  I do think price is important part of a miner.  I don't think saying it is partially based on price is a bad thing.  If anything I give them credit for their pricing.

Selling at a loss (clearly) is not good for any of us though. It's not sustainable and everyone loses in the end.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119
February 21, 2015, 04:34:20 PM

Activity: 182
Merit: 123
"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"
February 21, 2015, 04:30:42 PM
It may be the last miner I ever own.  If diff keeps going> I won't be doing much mining at home.

This is my worry.  I love mining, always have.   The trend of going to big farms seems hard to stop.   I'm hoping we can continue to mine.   Will be interesting to see who keeps selling to consumers and who goes for the big fish.

I hope SP and Bitmain both keep making consumer gear.

then it will be pure heaters, meaning that farm will have an uncompetitive edge, unless they resell the heat too.
legendary
Activity: 1456
February 21, 2015, 04:24:53 PM
Lets be fair, if it wasn't priced to clear then it wouldn't be nearly as popular compared to S5s

I like both miners myself.  I do think price is important part of a miner.  I don't think saying it is partially based on price is a bad thing.  If anything I give them credit for their pricing.
legendary
February 21, 2015, 04:22:18 PM
It may be the last miner I ever own.  If diff keeps going> I won't be doing much mining at home.

This is my worry.  I love mining, always have.   The trend of going to big farms seems hard to stop.   I'm hoping we can continue to mine.   Will be interesting to see who keeps selling to consumers and who goes for the big fish.

I hope SP and Bitmain both keep making consumer gear.
legendary
February 21, 2015, 03:04:49 PM
the avalon 4.1 is really good.  I would like a little better gui  maybe 4 pools not 3 pools. It is really quiet.

When the weather gets hot It will be the one I keep.  I will mine it solo.  500gh at 244 watts.  It may be the last miner I ever own.  If diff keeps going> I won't be doing much mining at home.
legendary
February 21, 2015, 02:56:04 PM
The loud fans on the SP20 are a killer, but its variability compared to the S5 really makes it. Price competition sure doesn't hurt.

I like the Avalon4. Right now I have no money to buy new hardware, or it'd be the next thing I pick up.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
February 21, 2015, 02:43:36 PM

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119
February 21, 2015, 02:08:14 PM
I hope both SP-Tech and Bitmain keep making home miners for the foreseeable future. I would love to run some miners here at my house. Lets hope they decide to listen to us and focus a little more on making them silent. I like the idea of water cooled, but would prefer fans running silently.
legendary
February 21, 2015, 12:59:19 PM
I have been holding out for 3 months to see whats next.
From what I've read Bitmain and Spondoolies may release more efficient
miners based on chips they have already released. Their next major move will be
in late Q3 or Q4.

ASICminer is working on a new chip design right now and we should hear more about it
in the next few weeks.

It's these efficient models that will help the home miners with power cost
in the .15kwh and under range.<-------I know i'll get some flack for this one!!!

No flack from me.  I wish you to be correct.
Activity: 350
Merit: 158
#takeminingback
February 21, 2015, 09:23:15 AM
I have been holding out for 3 months to see whats next.
From what I've read Bitmain and Spondoolies may release more efficient
miners based on chips they have already released. Their next major move will be
in late Q3 or Q4.

ASICminer is working on a new chip design right now and we should hear more about it
in the next few weeks.

It's these efficient models that will help the home miners with power cost
in the .15kwh and under range.<-------I know i'll get some flack for this one!!!
legendary
February 21, 2015, 09:05:12 AM
Yeah, by all indications the SP20 is a good little machine. I was really glad to see them make it instead of more industrial rack-mount gear. I hope they keep something in that market sector. Catering to industrial miners kills the landscape.

I'm anxious to see what ASICMiner does with their BE300s. I'd make a sexy home miner out of them if I had the dev time and money. Those guys have always made stuff for regular folks, though only one product ever as polished as an SP20.

ASICMiner was king no doubt when asics were coming out.  But their prisma's did not impress me enough to get one even.   I'm sure some will say V2 is great but I like others right now.

SP20 is amazing on it's ability.  I was running full blast, but now I make as much to underclock and it does a amazing job.

The S5 again great machine.  It was a nice addition  to Bitmain's miners.

I personally am looking more twords next gen SP and Bitmain gear, unless something changes. 

the avalon 4.1 is pretty nice well built like the sp20 and truly quiet gear.  pricey  if it could sell at a lower price point it would sell well.

As I prep for spring I went from 9 sp20's to 4 sp20's and 1 avalon 4.1 along with 1 s-5.

My power cost kills me here in NJ. I do wonder if AM will finally make a new miner that rocks.
legendary
February 21, 2015, 03:15:07 AM
Yeah, by all indications the SP20 is a good little machine. I was really glad to see them make it instead of more industrial rack-mount gear. I hope they keep something in that market sector. Catering to industrial miners kills the landscape.

I'm anxious to see what ASICMiner does with their BE300s. I'd make a sexy home miner out of them if I had the dev time and money. Those guys have always made stuff for regular folks, though only one product ever as polished as an SP20.

ASICMiner was king no doubt when asics were coming out.  But their prisma's did not impress me enough to get one even.   I'm sure some will say V2 is great but I like others right now.

SP20 is amazing on it's ability.  I was running full blast, but now I make as much to underclock and it does a amazing job.

The S5 again great machine.  It was a nice addition  to Bitmain's miners.

I personally am looking more twords next gen SP and Bitmain gear, unless something changes. 
legendary
February 21, 2015, 01:35:02 AM

Pages:
Jump to: