Pages:
Author

Topic: NFTs in the Bitcoin blockchain - Ordinal Theory - page 9. (Read 9163 times)

legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1172
Privacy Servers. Since 2009.
Not sure Ordinals or something else but my transaction is currently showing at around 150MB from tip. The fee is ~23sat/byte which is by now means small. What could be the reason for this?

I have a transaction that I set at around 13 sats per vbyte within the last few days, and so I already have an understanding that it could take several days and maybe weeks to clear.

A few months ago, I had some others that took a while to go through when I set them at the lower end of the range of what had been being cleared, and surely I can see that there remains a bit of a gap between my transaction and the ones that are currently clearing in the 20-ish sats per vbyte, as you mentioned.

Wen clear?

hahahahaha

I don't really care that much.. I set my fees in that kind of way  just to watch it, but if I was transacting with a stranger, probably there would be a need to set it in the 30-50 sats per vbyte range in order to NOT piss anyone off or to risk losing reputation/credibility.

My transaction cleared minutes after I published this post. It went up from 150mb from tip to the very top immediately. Perhaps a bug in my wallet software or something as I found no evidence Ordinals or any other NFT spam intensifying.   Cool
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 10155
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
Not sure Ordinals or something else but my transaction is currently showing at around 150MB from tip. The fee is ~23sat/byte which is by now means small. What could be the reason for this?

I have a transaction that I set at around 13 sats per vbyte within the last few days, and so I already have an understanding that it could take several days and maybe weeks to clear.

A few months ago, I had some others that took a while to go through when I set them at the lower end of the range of what had been being cleared, and surely I can see that there remains a bit of a gap between my transaction and the ones that are currently clearing in the 20-ish sats per vbyte, as you mentioned.

Wen clear?

hahahahaha

I don't really care that much.. I set my fees in that kind of way  just to watch it, but if I was transacting with a stranger, probably there would be a need to set it in the 30-50 sats per vbyte range in order to NOT piss anyone off or to risk losing reputation/credibility.
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1172
Privacy Servers. Since 2009.
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823

My personal opinon. If there's anything to like about Ordinals "as a project", it's because they didn't ask for permission to start building. They just built it, just like how the Lightning Network developers built their network.

There is a difference between "permissionless" and "testless". Ordinals were "testless", because they didn't write many tests they should, before going into mainnet. And that's why ownership is not enforced (nobody tested that), that's why zero satoshis can break things (nobody tested that), and that's why sighashes are not used (nobody tested that). Not to mention things like CoinJoin (also nobody tested that). Also, there are probably even more bugs in mimetypes or recursion, but they will explode later, because it is the same situation (nobody tested that).

In case of Lightning Network, it was tested, at least partially, before touching mainnet.

That's true, and I'm only giving credit to where credit is due. But the compliment given is more for Bitcoin's permissionless nature, than for the initiative to start building Ordinals by its developer Casey Rodarmor.

Plus from the rest of your reply, TIL. Thanks for the well-written post.
Activity: 667
Merit: 1529
Didn't care, cloud storage?
Yes, it all started from this huge, non-standard, almost 4 MB block. If the main goal for Ordinals would be something different, then they would start from something else. Not to mention that if you want to test edge cases like that, then it is way easier to do so on testnet3, signet, or even your own regtest, than to ask some pool like Luxor. And because there are a lot of non-Ordinals cloud-storage cases on testnet3, then they could focus on encouraging those users to use Ordinals first, or even just trace their "non-Ordinals inscriptions" (also because testnet3 allows non-standard scripts, so you can do more things with Ordinals on testnet3 than on mainnet).

But aren't all sats in your wallet, which can only be moved if you control the keys, already represent actual ownership of the "property".
Ordinals don't use those properties. A lot of wallets can change the order of your inputs or outputs, and boom, it breaks Ordinals. Also, because Ordinals don't care about sighashes, they are wide open if you don't use SIGHASH_ALL.

My personal opinon. If there's anything to like about Ordinals "as a project", it's because they didn't ask for permission to start building. They just built it, just like how the Lightning Network developers built their network.
There is a difference between "permissionless" and "testless". Ordinals were "testless", because they didn't write many tests they should, before going into mainnet. And that's why ownership is not enforced (nobody tested that), that's why zero satoshis can break things (nobody tested that), and that's why sighashes are not used (nobody tested that). Not to mention things like CoinJoin (also nobody tested that). Also, there are probably even more bugs in mimetypes or recursion, but they will explode later, because it is the same situation (nobody tested that).

In case of Lightning Network, it was tested, at least partially, before touching mainnet.
legendary
In your opinion, are we still very early in our Bitcoin journey?

No, just the creators of software for Ordinals didn't care about implementing ownership properly. All they did, was just "Bitcoin as a cloud storage".

Didn't care, cloud storage? But aren't all sats in your wallet, which can only be moved if you control the keys, already represent actual ownership of the "property".

They made a lot of mistakes, for example skipped testnet3 entirely (or any other test network). We are not "early", there were protocols that enforced ownership, just Ordinals is not one of them, because it was not the main goal, it was a side effect.

Are we just starting to scratch the surface?

Not really, because people still don't know, how many things are possible. And we can still enjoy quite empty mempool, compared to what it could be if more people would know about it.

That's precisely why we might just be scratching the surface. Developers nor users still hasn't seen Bitcoin's "final form". Or there might not be a "final form", it might evolve continuously. Although some parts of the network might have ossified.
Activity: 667
Merit: 1529
In your opinion, are we still very early in our Bitcoin journey?
No, just the creators of software for Ordinals didn't care about implementing ownership properly. All they did, was just "Bitcoin as a cloud storage". They made a lot of mistakes, for example skipped testnet3 entirely (or any other test network). We are not "early", there were protocols that enforced ownership, just Ordinals is not one of them, because it was not the main goal, it was a side effect.

Are we just starting to scratch the surface?
Not really, because people still don't know, how many things are possible. And we can still enjoy quite empty mempool, compared to what it could be if more people would know about it.
legendary
This person lost his entire Ordinals collection but he's "tracking" them.

Well friends, I find myself broken this morning, as my entire ordinal collection has been sent to a miner as part of a tx fee 😔

What happened: yesterday, I used @xverseApp's BTC recovery feature to pull out some sats that had accumulated there (not much at all even). As soon as I submit the tx, wallet goes to 0, the entirety of my ordinal collection sent as part of the tx fee to the miner AntPool...including a few @sub_100k's I inscribed myself back in the early days, my @satsnames (trygg.sats) and my beloved @twelvefrog#5, which I minted on that wild night back in March.

I know it isn't much to many of you in this space, but it meant a lot to me and held value far above & beyond what the current floor prices may have been...especially the early ones I inscribed myself back in the sparrow wallet days.

https://twitter.com/tryggbtc/status/1691820182094614624

He continued with,

It was a lot to me, that's all I'll say. Yes, I know exactly which ordinals; still tracking them now. Some have already moved to other wallets 😔

https://twitter.com/TryggBTC/status/1691840685052141626

Obviously now some sats are more valuable than others, subjectively. It might either be good or bad, depending on the person, but what it probably adds is another psychological market-dynamic for pricing Bitcoin down to the lowest accounting unit, the Satoshi.

In your opinion, are we still very early in our Bitcoin journey? Are we just starting to scratch the surface?
Activity: 1036
Merit: 350

Ordinal data indeed isn't stored on UTXO set. But,
1. There are so many new Ordinal inscription created.

2. When you create new inscription, Ordinal create 2 TX. 2nd TX usually have 1 input and 2 output. 1 input refer to "monkey" (arbitrary data) and 2 output which rerepsent change address and new UTXO which represent ownership of that Ordinals.

i thought bitcoin transactions could have as many utxo inputs as they wanted to. so why couldn't someone use 10 utxos to pay for their monkey and then that would be reducing the utxo set by 10-2=8 utxos. the only time the utxo set count would increase is if someone used only 1 utxo to pay for their entire monkey. but if i had to guess, i'd imagine the average bitcoin transaction uses at least 2 utxos.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
Quote from: ETFbitcoin
It's also worth to mention pace of UTXO growth remain unchanged since Ordinal-based token become popular[1]. Few months ago i mentioned massive UTXO growth at ~102.5 million UTXO[2], but now we're looking at 119.9 million UTXO[1].
When someone makes a monkey on bitcoin ordinals, does that increase the size of the utxo set though? I didn't think the monkey got stored in the utxo set...

Ordinal data indeed isn't stored on UTXO set. But,
1. There are so many new Ordinal inscription created.
2. When you create new inscription, Ordinal create 2 TX. 2nd TX usually have 1 input and 2 output. 1 input refer to "monkey" (arbitrary data) and 2 output which rerepsent change address and new UTXO which represent ownership of that Ordinals.

Very true, and the majority of NFTs will trend toward zero indefinitely, regardless of market conditions. There's simply too many out there & too many new ones being created every day for all of them to retain value.
i'm not going to disagree with that. i think it's probably true! at least there's an upper limit to how many ordinals could exist. 21 million times 100 million. that's enough for every man, woman and child on the face of the planet to own around a million or at least half a million monkeys  Shocked

Quote from: ETFbitcoin
It's also worth to mention pace of UTXO growth remain unchanged since Ordinal-based token become popular[1]. Few months ago i mentioned massive UTXO growth at ~102.5 million UTXO[2], but now we're looking at 119.9 million UTXO[1].
When someone makes a monkey on bitcoin ordinals, does that increase the size of the utxo set though? I didn't think the monkey got stored in the utxo set...
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
--snip--

I think there is a tiny difference between minting and transactions and the price those things fetch on the market.
While Bitcoin maxis would have little interest on how much a monkey is valued in some fake auction, what most here are concerned is the amount of "spam" those things do, and if you look at the statistics:

% of BTC Transactions
https://dune.com/queries/2432967/3996835

Number of BRC-20 Inscription Minted
https://dune.com/queries/2433706/3998316

Not that much has changed, one might say it's even worse.

[1] https://statoshi.info/d/000000009/unspent-transaction-output-set?orgId=1&refresh=10m&from=now%2Fy&to=now
[2] https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.62363628
legendary

OK, I have a theory. But it's already very obvious.

- Because Ordinals users have been carving their own niche within the Bitcoin community/organizing their own conferences/having their own "heroes" with Casey Rodarmor and Erin Redwing, I believe that during the next bull cycle some of those BRC-20 tokens and NFTs will DEFINITELY surge MORE than Bitcoin. If I wanted to do some shitcoining, frankly not my first time, which BRC-20 token should I gamble?

I have serious doubts about this.
I don’t indulge into shit ornery very much, but after months of this Ordinals saga, I haven’t seen a clear winner in the space. There isn’t a BAYC equivalent for ordinals, and while I understand that minting is different than trading, I doubt this relentless minting activity will be ever be beneficial for prices.

Obviously not, and the Ordinals users/"advocates" themselves wouldn't give a direct answer which NFT/BRC-20 token they suggest you to HODL WITH conviction. Probably Udi will say it's his Onchain Wizards NFT, but we can't truly trust a troll, and a project that might also be built for trolling the Bitcoin community. Perhaps Udi has gone Taleb on us. Cool

But I truly want to know. Ordinals fans, which NFT/BRC-20 token do you honestly believe will have long term success?
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 10155
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
What happened to Udi Werthimer? Why does he look as though he "hates" Bitcoin?
Good question... For as long as I've been on Twitter he's just been trolling maximalists and core devs. It seems some of the major podcasters really upset him, for what reason I'm not entirely sure... but its all pretty ridiculous & inconsequential influencer-ing.

Sure who wants to follow all of the nitty-gritty drama, but it still seems to me that Udi is not dumb or anything, while at the same time, it seems that his ego has gotten too big.

He can do whatever he wants in his little made-up battles against so called bitcoin maximalists as he defines them, but it seems likely that he is not going to be on the right side of history when he has let himself become so emotional and ego-driven.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23

- Because Ordinals users have been carving their own niche within the Bitcoin community/organizing their own conferences/having their own "heroes" with Casey Rodarmor and Erin Redwing, I believe that during the next bull cycle some of those BRC-20 tokens and NFTs will DEFINITELY surge MORE than Bitcoin. If I wanted to do some shitcoining, frankly not my first time, which BRC-20 token should I gamble?

I have serious doubts about this.
I don’t indulge into shit ornery very much, but after months of this Ordinals saga, I haven’t seen a clear winner in the space. There isn’t a BAYC equivalent for ordinals, and while I understand that minting is different than trading, I doubt this relentless minting activity will be ever be beneficial for prices.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Jambler.io
They're not even doing anything with the BRC-20 tokens, they're just minting them because somebody like Leonidas told them to. The only real winner here is the service, and those who have a stake in the success of the service.

Much like the jpeg inscriptions, this is 100% hype driven and will not last.
would you agree with that article? it seems about right what i would have expected. but the entire nft market is in a slump.

I think there is a tiny difference between minting and transactions and the price those things fetch on the market.
While Bitcoin maxis would have little interest on how much a monkey is valued in some fake auction, what most here are concerned is the amount of "spam" those things do, and if you look at the statistics:

% of BTC Transactions
https://dune.com/queries/2432967/3996835

Number of BRC-20 Inscription Minted
https://dune.com/queries/2433706/3998316

legendary
But the silly-picture-selling crowd doesn't want to store their pictures in a offchain layer. They want them in a highly secure bank-vault, which the Bitcoin blockchain provides. That's probably what will give them their "value".

True enough.  They're also not going to waste time to try and genuinely optimise their infrastructure if the primary goal is simply to offload the memes to the next sap and move on to a new swindle (that looks and sounds like all their old swindles, but bundled in a shiny new wrapper with the latest jargon and buzzwords).  Pump shit -> Dump shit -> Move on -> Repeat.

But from the point of view of those more technically intelligent collectors, there would probably be more value in NFTs inscribed in the most secure Blockchain in the world than those merely minted in an off-chain layer. I might be the stupid one, but if I wanted to collect dick pics, I would only want them inscribed on-chain, in the Bitcoin blockchain.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 7892
What happened to Udi Werthimer? Why does he look as though he "hates" Bitcoin?

Good question... For as long as I've been on Twitter he's just been trolling maximalists and core devs. It seems some of the major podcasters really upset him, for what reason I'm not entirely sure... but its all pretty ridiculous & inconsequential influencer-ing.

They're not even doing anything with the BRC-20 tokens, they're just minting them because somebody like Leonidas told them to. The only real winner here is the service, and those who have a stake in the success of the service.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-ordinals-nft-trading-volume-tanks-98-since-may-dappradar

would you agree with that article? it seems about right what i would have expected.

It seems to contradict the previous article you posted, which was written almost a week later, but it is more in line with the reality of how things are playing out (IMO). Turns out having an image "on-chain" doesn't really mean a whole lot to NFT collectors.

but the entire nft market is in a slump. these things don't just go up forever. there have to be corrections.

Very true, and the majority of NFTs will trend toward zero indefinitely, regardless of market conditions. There's simply too many out there & too many new ones being created every day for all of them to retain value.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-ordinals-nft-trading-volume-tanks-98-since-may-dappradar

would you agree with that article? it seems about right what i would have expected. but the entire nft market is in a slump. these things don't just go up forever. there have to be corrections. but for people to try and sue because they were stupid enough to buy a jpeg image for millions of dollars i hope they don't get anything.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/08/buyers-of-bored-ape-nfts-sue-after-digital-apes-turn-out-to-be-bad-investment/

Pages:
Jump to: