Pages:
Author

Topic: NFTs worth millions of dollars were stolen just now - page 2. (Read 224 times)

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1415
I wanted to ask what they are stealing an NFT for and I forgot that it has value, pardon me NFT lovers Grin. I’m imagining if it was Bored ape that was stolen too, haha! Anyways, is there a sense in stealing such things if you won’t be selling it? Now that brings me to the question; people know an NFT has been stolen, people know which exactly has been stolen, so, who dares to buy a stolen NFT because there’s no sense in that. Unlike normal crypto tokens/coins, no one can tell your ETH from the other ETH. But this? what would they use it for?

That's the same question I had.  You can send crypto through a mixer and even if you don't it takes decent analytics to get caught up.  Nfts are unique and they have to be known as stolen, what's the point except to troll someone and steal theor stuff only to never use or sell it?  Am I missing something here?
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1338
I wanted to ask what they are stealing an NFT for and I forgot that it has value, pardon me NFT lovers Grin. I’m imagining if it was Bored ape that was stolen too, haha! Anyways, is there a sense in stealing such things if you won’t be selling it? Now that brings me to the question; people know an NFT has been stolen, people know which exactly has been stolen, so, who dares to buy a stolen NFT because there’s no sense in that. Unlike normal crypto tokens/coins, no one can tell your ETH from the other ETH. But this? what would they use it for?
I am also wondering about this, when it comes to NFTs since each token is unique it should be impossible to obscure its tracks and anyone that may want to buy it will know it was stolen and that such token could be tracked back to them, so what kind of value those NFTs could hold? This is different than what we see with regular paintings and other forms of art that are stolen, because even if the art community also knows which pieces have been stolen, a transaction that is completely anonymous can take place and no one will know who has that piece of art on their possession.
Activity: 3080
Merit: 603
Yeah, there's still a long way to go with web3 and these vulnerabilities should be taken into account. I feel sorry for those folks who have their NFTs as their investment and have gone in an instant because of these hackers. There's no way to take them but will these platforms wherever they will be sold could do the same as what stolen cryptos can, and that's to block the addresses so that they won't be sold and the hackers won't be able to dispose and use them?
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1236
Heisenberg
Interacting with smart contracts EVM compatible chains seems to be pretty dangerous lately, and revoking permissions after interacting with any contract should be a security standard at the very list.

What I also don't understand is why someone would continue keeping their valuable assets in a hot wallet instead of moving it to a cold wallet if they are not trading it? Creating an address does not cost any penny.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 281
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
Activity: 2254
Merit: 658
Looking for gigs
Source: https://twitter.com/punk9059/status/1736003743123132878

Honestly, I really felt what the victims have felt today in this massive hack. Their Christmas is ruined while the hackers are celebrating theirs in advance.

Those who have interacted with NFT Trader platform and have forgotten to revoke access before this incident happened were most likely got drained with those highly valuable NFTs.

Web3 still has long ways to go in terms of security. So far it's the most important of all the blockchain trilemmas that needs to be addressed seriously and for years it still has vulnerabilities.

This is truly heartbreaking indeed for us to see these highly valuable NFTs being compromised and drained by the hackers.

As security measures were in place, it seems that the hackers are just one step ahead countering that roadblock and bypassed it.

Pages:
Jump to: