Pages:
Author

Topic: NLC threatening government with strike - page 2. (Read 192 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 421
June 05, 2023, 09:12:20 AM
If you can recall the immediate actions from the filling stations and Lots more upon the President inaugural speech when he made mention of removing fuel subsidy and I asked myself why would they react so fast to the point that virtually all the filling stations closed I would use my area for example all of them shot down and upon the opening, pump price sky rocket to a high price.
Now I asked a question who is doing who?
It is normal for filling stations not to sell if they heard about the president plans to remove the fuel subsidy. I think that is just life. Filling stations are businesses and any filling station can decide to wait or sell at a higher price. People are not the problem, any wrong thing that is happening should be blamed on the government. They should find better strategies that they can use which will help mitigate this kind of situation.

The way I just thought about it, is that the president should have made this faster because if the fuel subsidy is removed, the filling stations will not close (or close for long) and likely there will be no cue, or cue for a short period of time if the fuel subsidy is removed as fast as possible. But the problem there also is the NLC which I do not think are handling this appropriately. Removing the subsidy will result to inflation, but in a way that other people will increase the price of their products and services. But the issue of fuel subsidy will be no more.

Well there is nothing bad about what you have said but my point is this why would they always want to take advantage of the situations to their own benefits. It is not fair. Why the sudden reactions so fast that it shook the nation just within few hours after the speech of the newly sworn in president was made clarifying the nation on the position of things upon handover. Those filling stations that shut down when did they buy the fuel  compared to when the speech was made?  Do you not think it was intentional by their act. How so sudden the actions baffled me that I begin to wonder how fast they grew such wings. I asked myself again, if it were to be a military regime would they have had the guts to try this nonsense they did?
Well since you have said it is their business and nobody could tell them what to do, No issues about that but you and I know the truth and it was not what it should have resulted to.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
June 05, 2023, 07:41:47 AM
If you can recall the immediate actions from the filling stations and Lots more upon the President inaugural speech when he made mention of removing fuel subsidy and I asked myself why would they react so fast to the point that virtually all the filling stations closed I would use my area for example all of them shot down and upon the opening, pump price sky rocket to a high price.
Now I asked a question who is doing who?
It is normal for filling stations not to sell if they heard about the president plans to remove the fuel subsidy. I think that is just life. Filling stations are businesses and any filling station can decide to wait or sell at a higher price. People are not the problem, any wrong thing that is happening should be blamed on the government. They should find better strategies that they can use which will help mitigate this kind of situation.

The way I just thought about it, is that the president should have made this faster because if the fuel subsidy is removed, the filling stations will not close (or close for long) and likely there will be no cue, or cue for a short period of time if the fuel subsidy is removed as fast as possible. But the problem there also is the NLC which I do not think are handling this appropriately. Removing the subsidy will result to inflation, but in a way that other people will increase the price of their products and services. But the issue of fuel subsidy will be no more.
Activity: 728
Merit: 421
June 05, 2023, 07:16:48 AM
I believe the fuel subsidy is a scam. If the president should have said that there is no fuel subsidy and then what was it with the previous administration telling us about it. I  wonder the amount of money that has gone for this singular act of scam called fuel subsidy. Does it mean that they have been robbing and milking the nation dry of her hard earned income?

Now I asked a question who is doing who? I just see this a as a situation of one taking advantage of another situation at their own advantage and to the detriment of others.

NLC going to strike is not a new thing but have they sit down to think about it and give this new government a little time to see their out put first before thinking of their next actions?

With all these fight amongst these bodies, the masses are the ones suffering for it.

Them say "when two elephant dey fight na grass dey suffer am"
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
June 05, 2023, 03:31:36 AM
Federal government wants to remove fuel subsidy, but NLC are going against it. They want to strike, and Electricity workers are also in support, also planning to leave the nation in blackout. According to what I read from Punch:

Subsidy: NLC shuns FG meeting, electricity workers back strike:
https://punchng.com/subsidy-nlc-shuns-fg-meeting-electricity-workers-back-strike

During the meeting attended by the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele, Managing Director, Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation Limited, Mele Kyari, Dele Alake, and others, the NLC had insisted on the reversal of the fuel pump price pegged at between N488 and N540.

According to what the president had said, PMS (petrol) exported to Benin Republic, Cameroon and Republic of the Niger are also subsidized.

What I am thinking is that if fuel subsidy is removed, this will lead to inflation. But why subsidizing what that supposed not to be subsidized? I did not know who or the government that came up with such an idea that is now giving the country problem.

What do you think about this? Are the NLC right about this? Or fuel subsidy should just be removed and see its effect on economy?
Pages:
Jump to: