Pages:
Author

Topic: No, Bitcoin’s Circulating Supply is Not 18 Million - page 2. (Read 236 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1069
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
There has been some kind of news like this before

Yes there was and it struck a similar debate every time.

In 2017 they were saying that 2.5 million is lost + 1 mill of Satoshi's coins that are out of circulation.
Now it's only 1.5 mill lost? The number is decreasing. In 2022 expect them to come up with another random number. Maybe 4 million this time?
Source: https://fortune.com/2017/11/25/lost-bitcoins/

The coins are ever decreasing. The statistics are not 100% correct as they might be considering the unmoved coins as out of circulation that could also be a wallet of whale hodling.
The statistics may depend on how far in history they are looking and how much wallets they are referring to. There could even be thousands of hundred of satoshi left in abandoned wallets.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1335
Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody
There has been some kind of news like this before

Yes there was and it struck a similar debate every time.

In 2017 they were saying that 2.5 million is lost + 1 mill of Satoshi's coins that are out of circulation.
Now it's only 1.5 mill lost? The number is decreasing. In 2022 expect them to come up with another random number. Maybe 4 million this time?
Source: https://fortune.com/2017/11/25/lost-bitcoins/
Activity: 924
Merit: 520
There has been some kind of news like this before and until now it is still a subject for debate on what is the correct circulation supply of BTC! We could only account for "lost coins" if we are very certain that its not possible to retrieved them and be integrated into the total circulating  supply but until then, I believe these findings are mostly based on assumptions and I guess they have no concrete methodology to arrived at such figures!

legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
bitcoins circulating supply is not 18m.
things like 'satoshi's stash' and other coins not moved for years indicate they are lost.

however even say a 16m-21m number is of immaterial importance when it comes to the market price

markets do not have 16m of coins hoarded in them to cause price movements. the estimates are below 2mill coins are hoarded on exchanges affecting the market price.
Activity: 2254
Merit: 658
Revolutionized copy gaming platform
A recent analysis from CoinMetrics hints that over 1,500,000 Bitcoins could permanently be out of the total circulation. While BTC’s active supply should currently be over 18 million, the quantity fell short.

Notably, on October 19 this year, 18 million BTC officially entered circulation, which happened at block 600,000. At this time, the community began cheering up as it highlighted “the end of the inflation process for Bitcoin.” However, things aren’t as they appear. The supply reportedly fell short which brought on a sense of fear, where are these lost coins going?

Source link for the news here

I honestly don't know what you guys are thinking about this one. Do you actually agree that Bitcoin's circulating supply is not 18 million? Do you guys believe that these 1,500,000 BTCs are actually lost?

I know that some of you may have different reactions to this one. I would love hearing out your thoughts and opinions about this one guys. Thanks in advance.

Pages:
Jump to: