Pages:
Author

Topic: Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM vs Corsair SP120 PWM on Antminer S5 - page 2. (Read 7391 times)

legendary
Activity: 918
Merit: 1000
Did you power the noctuas from the s5 mainboard?

Yes, I did (if you mean on the controller in the middle). One small rail on the connector is in the way, so I clipped it off.

I have Noctua NF-F12 IndustrialPPC - 3000 PWM , mine does not work with the 4 pin rail (where the original fan was connected).
Is there a reason for not working?Do I need to make a modification?I power the fan from the PSU.
legendary
Activity: 918
Merit: 1000
If we change the fan, does our miner get out of guarantee?

legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
Activity: 58
Merit: 10
Put on the noctuas today....they are quiter than original....did push/pull
Temp now is 67 and 65c with the original i never got over 52c....so will return them to seller i guess  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848

Yes, I did (if you mean on the controller in the middle). One small rail on the connector is in the way, so I clipped it off.
Activity: 58
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
Can you give us figures of actual db from the miner, especially compared to stock? i know some reviewers were saying at 4 ft, stock fans on the S5 are around 75 db. i'm very interested since I have my 2 s5's and an s3 set up in an office where the noise is just unbearable

I did use Noctua in push and Scythe Ultra kaze in pull. Two Noctuas/miner are expensive.
Both together gave ~55 dB vs 73-75dB for stock at default speed. It was still a little annoying in the office, but totally fine in another room.

if anybody wants, I have two Delta AFB1212SH-PWM fans which i don't really need since I sold my S5s
These seem to have similar(if not better) air pressure and CFM to Noctua and they are less expensive (advertized as 46 dB, but typically i don't believe these claims)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213011
Activity: 987
Merit: 254
Can you give us figures of actual db from the miner, especially compared to stock? i know some reviewers were saying at 4 ft, stock fans on the S5 are around 75 db. i'm very interested since I have my 2 s5's and an s3 set up in an office where the noise is just unbearable
alh
legendary
Activity: 1844
Merit: 1050
Hmm I think the S5 and the S4 use the same fans, I wonder how these would work on the S4.

Yes they do, and possibly in a lower ambient setting. S5s have different cooling changes to S4s which use a brute force approach so its pushing it.
So the NF-F12 Is 109CF

This fan is 119 at max: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553002

and still seems pretty silent, any reason why this wouldn't work also?

Sorry I was talking about the Antminer Fans for S4 and S5, I should have posted this in the thread.(Didn't mean to pm you dogie)

One thing that isn't obvious is that the fans for the S5 and the SP20 seems to require a fair amount of static pressure to get the actual colling effect. The CFM (volume of air moved) isn't the only consideration as I understand it. You might find a higher CFM doesn't actually yield the result you expect, because it doesn't have a high enough static pressure.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Hmm I think the S5 and the S4 use the same fans, I wonder how these would work on the S4.

Yes they do, and possibly in a lower ambient setting. S5s have different cooling changes to S4s which use a brute force approach so its pushing it.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142
Ιntergalactic Conciliator
I have use many of them in my desktops for many years now. in my opinion the noctua fan is the most silent of all of them.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
noctua has the best fans and is far away better from crosair

They're 2 fans at different performance points used for different purposes - I'm not sure how you can can compare entire brands' of products based on that.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142
Ιntergalactic Conciliator
Noctua is much expensive but is greater from any other fan out there. Imo noctua has the best fans and is far away better from crosair
Activity: 79
After reading about the SP120 on the Antminer S5 thread I decided to give it a shot.
Tested fans:
Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM 3000rpm - http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=80&lng=en
Corsair SP120 PWM 2350rpm max - http://www.corsair.com/it-it/air-series-sp120-pwm-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-fan-twin-pack

The NF-F12 is about 50% more expensive than the SP120, $16 vs $24 each (prices from amazon)

All the tests were done on the same Antminer S5 using the same default 350M frequency.
The room was at a constant 65F and each run involved powering down the S5 then running it for 15 minutes before getting results.

Using 2 NF-F12s in push/pull configuration:
49C/51C | 1800rpm/1920rpm

Using 1 NF-F12 as push fan:
50C/54C | 1920rpm

Using 1 SP120 as push fan and 1 NF-F12 as pull fan:
55C/57C | 1680rpm/2280rpm

Using 2 SP120s in push/pull configuration:
59C/62C | 1800rpm/2040rpm

I will remark that the NF-F12s are about 5db louder at 1 foot distance but in the end I will stick with the NF-F12s since they provide better cooling.
The SP120s may be better when used on a heatsink but I think the high static pressure may not do as much good over the 10in of heatsink on the S5.
In the end the 110CFM of the NF-F12 won out over 63CFM of the SP120
Let me know if you have any questions.
Pages:
Jump to: