Pages:
Author

Topic: Nope, we're not using a decentralized protocol yet, just a piece of software - page 2. (Read 3026 times)

donator
Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
OP: you're right. But I think you miss the point of the Bitcoin project: to create a decentralized payment processing network. Your observation would be better put: "we're not done yet!"
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004
I'm mostly seeing commentary on how quickly bitcoin recovered.
Without Gavin's decision making, the new chain would have taken and a totally different course of events would have taken place.

OMG! Read the f*cking IRC logs. Gavin's instinct was to NOT switch back to v0.7, but other people thought going with v0.7 was better, Gavin eventually agreed (as one of many relevant voices, and certainly not dominant), and the folks with the best input on the subject all gave the "ACK" for Eleuthria to go ahead and revert BTC Guild, which as I pointed out above, merely provided the marginal hashing power to get v0.7 over 50%.

It is called having an open mind as well.  Listening, analyzing and responding as new information is available instead of digging in ones heels.

I was very proud of how well all of the developers handled the situation and how even people with different opinions on some issues were able to put them aside for the best interest of the community. 

This event actually INCREASED my confidence in both Bitcoin and the Bitcoin community. 

+1. Well said.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
I agree that it is a big problem with bitcoin when one client dominate the market. If new client is not pooping up soon we will see start to end of bitcoin. If we hade 100 different clients than it wasn't easy to make a decision in a IRC channel with small team involved and with few people more active than other (It is not market , It is Centralized system or core team model).
legendary
Activity: 1386
Without Gavin's decision making, the new chain would have taken and a totally different course of events would have taken place.

OMG! Read the f*cking IRC logs. Gavin's instinct was to NOT switch back to v0.7, but other people thought going with v0.7 was better, Gavin eventually agreed (as one of many relevant voices, and certainly not dominant), and the folks with the best input on the subject all gave the "ACK" for Eleuthria to go ahead and revert BTC Guild, which as I pointed out above, merely provided the marginal hashing power to get v0.7 over 50%.

It is called having an open mind as well.  Listening, analyzing and responding as new information is available instead of digging in ones heels.

I was very proud of how well all of the developers handled the situation and how even people with different opinions on some issues were able to put them aside for the best interest of the community. 

This event actually INCREASED my confidence in both Bitcoin and the Bitcoin community. 

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2300
Chief Scientist
Please stop the "Gavin's decision" meme, too:  I went with the in-the-moment consensus when it became clear that it was POSSIBLE to switch to the 0.7 fork.

And as Melbustus said:  that was only possible because the split was close to 50/50.  If more miners had already upgraded to 0.8, an alert would have been sent to non-0.8 peers telling them to either upgrade or shutdown until we could find a workaround for the problem.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

OMG it was a 10%-or-thereabouts attack! We always knew pools were a bad idea!

Just one pool can launch a 10%-or-so fork-merging attack! Somebody do something!

legendary

legendary

Of course, I believe there shouldn't have been an orchestrated revert to the "old" chain (a.k.a. an orchestrated 51% attack). I believe the market should have solved this on their own. Yes, it would have been a massive blow to the miners who didn't upgrade, but it's their fault for using a client that follows a different protocol. That would have reaffirmed that the software you use is your vote for which protocol to use.

Wow, do you even understand what happened?

The market *DID* solve this on its own. Calling what happened an "orchestrated 51% attack" is an awfully dramatic manipulative misinterpretation of events fit mainly for irrational "sky-is-falling" tinfoil-hatters.

Eleuthria switching BTC Guild back to v0.7 was the hash-power that broke the camels back, as it were. The chains were both at 40+%, and Eleuthria had enough hashing power to get v0.7 back over 50% if he switched from v0.8 to v0.7. That is NOT a 51% attack. Stop calling it that; it's just wrong.

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
By flash crash, do you mean a crash that is over in a flash? As exchange rates have been looking pretty normal to me, other than a bit of a dip that was over in a flash.

Oh we didn't get back to $49.xx yet? That is normal too, touch a nice high, someone gets cold feet, step down a little to prepare for a more leisurely assault of the heights, I don't see a problem. Huh

-MarkM-
WiW
Activity: 277
Merit: 250
"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

Like I said, the crash itself doesn't worry me. It's the immaturity of the protocol which currently has virtually only one client. This immaturity means two things: bitcoin does not yet fulfill it's promise as a decentralized currency and it's not ready for prime-time where software bugs can have such huge repercussions in the market.

If the majority of hashing power
The majority of hashing power voted, and the vote was: rollback and revert to 0.7

Fair point. But notice how easy it was to pull off this 51% attack. Without Gavin's decision making, the new chain would have taken and a totally different course of events would have taken place.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
If the majority of hashing power
The majority of hashing power voted, and the vote was: rollback and revert to 0.7
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
This is what ultimately makes bitcoin vulnerable to human imperfections. The press is going crazy with "bitcoin is not stable thanks to a software bug". How can we possibly expect people to trust the entire monetary system on one piece of software written by human beings?

I will point out that we're still in a very immature stage, and I believe these stuff will sort themselves out. But I just wanted to clarify how early a stage we're still in.

WiW
This is what ultimately makes bitcoin vulnerable to human imperfections. The press is going crazy with "bitcoin is not stable thanks to a software bug". How can we possibly expect people to trust the entire monetary system on one piece of software written by human beings?

I will point out that we're still in a very immature stage, and I believe these stuff will sort themselves out. But I just wanted to clarify how early a stage we're still in.
WiW
The events of the latest software bug which catalyzed a massive 23% flashcrash, show us that bitcoin is not a protocol yet - it's still totally bootstrapped to the open source Satoshi client. One bug affects the entire network. It's not a protocol, it's whatever that piece of software determines it is.

This doesn't happen in any other p2p network that I know of. If there's a bug in some filesharing software, the whole network doesn't go into a panic. Only the users of *that* software have to deal with *their* problem.

Of course, I believe there shouldn't have been an orchestrated revert to the "old" chain (a.k.a. an orchestrated 51% attack). I believe the market should have solved this on their own. Yes, it would have been a massive blow to the miners who didn't upgrade, but it's their fault for using a client that follows a different protocol. That would have reaffirmed that the software you use is your vote for which protocol to use.

You see, even the protocol isn't set in stone. If the majority of hashing power (or whatever non-full nodes) vote for a new protocol and use software that implements it, then that's the new bitcoin. That's what makes bitcoin _decentralized_.

Instead, we have one client, one source, one community. This is not decentralization.
Pages:
Jump to: