Pages:
Author

Topic: "Not all cops are bad" - page 2. (Read 2304 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 504
October 29, 2014, 04:34:06 PM
you post things like 'this cop did a horrible thing, so it proves all cops are terrible people.'

Wrong, I never said "all cops are terrible people"
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
October 29, 2014, 03:26:10 PM
it's not a premise, it's a headline and an opening statement, and it was very effective.

Thank you!!

That's the only positive comment I've heard on any of my posts (Cop related) here

Maybe it's because you post things like 'this cop did a horrible thing, so it proves all cops are terrible people.' You're going to get push back on that, as you should. Keep it to the specifics of the case, and don't over generalize, and you will find a lot more support. Your biggest supporters are likely to be libertarians, of which I am one, but they're not going to support reckless statements. We have enough trouble being taken seriously as it is without helping to spread ideas that paint us as unreasonable.

This double standard with cops has to end, where they have a different justice system and different/no consequences for breaking the laws compared to regular citizens. But no one is going to listen to that message if you come off as someone who just hates all cops because they're cops. The way you present information is as important as, if not more than, the actual information itself.

I want to be on your side. Just help me get there.
October 29, 2014, 03:12:39 PM
it's not a premise, it's a headline and an opening statement, and it was very effective.

Thank you!!

That's the only positive comment I've heard on any of my posts (Cop related) here
October 29, 2014, 02:50:20 PM

It's a premise if you draw or infer a conclusion from it. Takes away from the argument imo. He's inferring all cops are bad because this cop raped a kid. Now instead of focusing on a group of bad cops, you're inviting responses arguing against the premise that all cops are bad. It's not enough to find a case of clear wrongdoing and to seek to hold those accountable. Nope, gotta over-generalize and make sweeping statements that have no basis and take away from a legitimate point, because you're revealing yourself as too biased to be reasonable.

These kinds of statements hurt the cause of reigning in police powers and abuse.
October 29, 2014, 02:34:42 PM
If the statement "not all cops are bad" is really true,

Why did they stand by, watching and doing nothing, as their peer officer was raping a child?

"A federal civil lawsuit filed with Texas Southern District Court back in May accused [Erasmo] Mata of assaulting the minor five times, on five separate occasions, all while on duty.  The suit alleges that the attacks took place in abandoned houses around the city as other Pharr police officers stood by and watched."

Oh, but it does not end there!

"The lawsuit also accused the department of engaging in a cover-up to protect the officers from criminal charges, as well as not conducting a rape kit or immediately testing the evidence."

That's right, they not only stood by and watched a child getting raped, they tried to cover up their fellow officer's tracks.

If I did this with my friends, I'd be locked up in minutes.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry."
~Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~Thomas Jefferson (Attribution often denied by liberals)

Original source

Alternative sources for those who claim TheFreeThoughtProject is biased:

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=1115381#.VFEC2I-HbFY
https://www.google.com/search?q=Erasmo+Mata,+Jr&num=100&client=ubuntu&hs=1gW&channel=fs&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=qwJRVKDFBeae7gbV6IHoBA&ved=0CCMQsQQ&biw=1193&bih=615

I'm not one to defend cops in most cases, but your premise is flawed.

Why did they stand by, watching and doing nothing, as their peer officer was raping a child?

If all cops stood by, watching and doing nothing, I'd tend to agree with your assessment that this circumstance warrants the judgement that all cops are bad. But all cops were not standing by and watching while doing nothing, so your conclusion that this situation is proof that all cops are bad doesn't hold.

Also, you've quoted allegations from a lawsuit, which is one biased side of the story. Better to wait to hold it up as fact until the court has entered a finding as such.
October 29, 2014, 11:08:22 AM

"A federal civil lawsuit filed with Texas Southern District Court back in May accused [Erasmo] Mata of assaulting the minor five times, on five separate occasions, all while on duty.  The suit alleges that the attacks took place in abandoned houses around the city as other Pharr police officers stood by and watched."

Oh, but it does not end there!

"The lawsuit also accused the department of engaging in a cover-up to protect the officers from criminal charges, as well as not conducting a rape kit or immediately testing the evidence."

That's right, they not only stood by and watched a child getting raped, they tried to cover up their fellow officer's tracks.

If I did this with my friends, I'd be locked up in minutes.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry."
~Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~Thomas Jefferson (Attribution often denied by liberals)

Original source

Alternative sources for those who claim TheFreeThoughtProject is biased:

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=1115381#.VFEC2I-HbFY
https://www.google.com/search?q=Erasmo+Mata,+Jr&num=100&client=ubuntu&hs=1gW&channel=fs&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=qwJRVKDFBeae7gbV6IHoBA&ved=0CCMQsQQ&biw=1193&bih=615
Pages:
Jump to: