Pages:
Author

Topic: Not an article about Bitcoin: "I accidentally sent £1,000 to the wrong account" - page 2. (Read 269 times)

copper member
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305
Limited in number. Limitless in potential.
Well, that's one of the problems in sending money were mostly prone to human errors whether its a local remittance, digital wallets, bitcoin/crypto even in paypal, once you input a wrong info and tap the send button it cannot be undone. There's always a warning message where something is written to double check the details before you send the money because it cannot be undone.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
Banks were supposed to be better than crypto due to the reversibility of transactions.
Banks will say its not our fault so you have to make a legal claim but there is a little chance with banking transactions but in cryptos its not possible because we can never get the identity of the person who received the crypto funds.

Reversing a bank transaction after being spent is also not practical for smaller amount like few hundred dollars because we may have to spend more money than the actual money to get them to be reversed for all the expenses.
Activity: 2170
Merit: 528
I had that once and the bank cancelled the payment. I made a mistake in the IBAN but put the right name and address, which did not match the credentials on the IBAN.

It's unfortunate that the bank cannot sent the money back and charge the account that spent it. Many banks do it because just 1 wrong number makes the money go to a completely different person. Banks were supposed to be better than crypto due to reversability of transactions.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260
People complain that if bitcoins are mistakenly sent to the wrong address, the transaction can't be undone. It turns out that fiat has the same problem.

I accidentally sent £1,000 to the wrong bank account but Barclays cannot recover the money as it's been spent - what can I do?

I transferred some money to someone who was doing some work in my garden and unknowingly - and rather stupidly - managed to get the account number wrong.
    With hindsight I should probably have transferred a smaller value as a test, but instead sent £1,000.
    After two days I gave Barclays a call and managed to speak to someone. They advised the transfer had been successful and I needed to contact the man I had intended to send the money to, giving him a reference number, which was at least 20 digits long.

I did this, but he came back after visiting his own bank, stating he was told there was nothing that could be done and the onus was on me to chase it with my own bank.
    George Nixon, This is Money, replies: Whether it's due to fat fingers or because we're distracted by something else, accidentally sending money to the wrong person happens frequently after inputting incorrect bank details.
    In a letter sent to you by Barclays, it added the next option is making a legal claim against the customer you accidentally sent the money to, and recommended if you do that you obtain independent legal advice.
Pages:
Jump to: