Pages:
Author

Topic: Nov 16 Bitcoin Fork questions - page 2. (Read 926 times)

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137
November 05, 2017, 06:54:39 AM
This fork has no replay protection so you could accidentally sell BTC when you mean to sell B2X - to avoid this move your BTC first into another address you own before spending either.

it seems to me like these forks nowadays never implement replay protection until the last minute.
so far SegWit2x fork has an special opt in replay protection implemented, it is not strong and it only works one way but nothing is stopping them from implementing a replay protection in last minute like the bitcoin gold crap did a week after they took the snapshot and everyone dumped their IOUs on exchanges!
Activity: 127
Merit: 10
November 05, 2017, 06:40:27 AM
I think this is going to be a bitcoin revolution. This time, many people in the Bitcoin Fork are divided and may have a big influence on the price of bitcoin.
 Shocked
Activity: 1260
Merit: 390
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
November 05, 2017, 06:10:29 AM
This may be a dumb question but I do need someone to explain it for me..what will happen to my BTC when this new fork comes to be? I've been readin that there is a possibility that this may create another coin like the bitcoin cash did. If another coin is created and I have 1 BTC, will I have that 1 BTC plus 1 of whatever coin is created? and I can withdraw both to do with as I please?

Also, I need advice on what would be a good wallet to store my BTC on before the fork so that I can take advantage of whatever i need to take advantage of. I would like to be prepared and i love learning about this industry so please no hate. 

It is not a dumb question though, if you have your own private keys with your Bitcoin wallet then you are eligible in getting the exact equivalent value of your Bitcoin holding because the Segwit2x Hard Fork will occur on Bitcoin Block 494,784 and that is estimated to happen on November 16, 2017 with no exact time that day. You must have a local wallet for your safety and most of that kind of wallet is giving you your own private keys instead of using an online wallets that is not, Electrum wallet is the one that I am using now and I am also suggesting it to you to use it.
Activity: 322
Merit: 101
November 05, 2017, 06:09:45 AM
This fork has no replay protection so you could accidentally sell BTC when you mean to sell B2X - to avoid this move your BTC first into another address you own before spending either.
Activity: 756
Merit: 253
November 05, 2017, 06:03:17 AM
Yes, your understanding is correct. If the fork happens (I'm fairly confident that it will) you will receive the equivalent amount of the forked coin B2X.

I would advise you to place your coins in a paper wallet or some other type of wallet that is well trusted. If you are planning on dumping BTC or B2X quickly after the fork, I would place it on an exchange which supports B2X.

I will probably either dump them or convert them to a stable alt coin. Do you suggest any specific paper wallet that will be compatible for this? I don't even know what a paper wallet is lol. I have Exodus on my computer. As for the exchange, I have Coinbase (GDAX), Kraken, Bitstamp, and Poloniex. Of those which would you suggest?

So if I store it in an exchange what will my process be? Wait until right after fork and then withdraw the new B2x to something like another wallet then send it back to exchange? Or will it just be there for me to sell?

keeping them on an exchange comes with its own risk as its just ;like having it in an online wallet rather than on the blockchain and so the exchange controls it and should anything happen then you stand a great risk of loosing out your coins.
Activity: 406
Merit: 102
November 05, 2017, 05:49:39 AM
This may be a dumb question but I do need someone to explain it for me..what will happen to my BTC when this new fork comes to be? I've been readin that there is a possibility that this may create another coin like the bitcoin cash did. If another coin is created and I have 1 BTC, will I have that 1 BTC plus 1 of whatever coin is created? and I can withdraw both to do with as I please?

Also, I need advice on what would be a good wallet to store my BTC on before the fork so that I can take advantage of whatever i need to take advantage of. I would like to be prepared and i love learning about this industry so please no hate. 

I've read in an article that this hard fork coming on november 16th is different from all the hard forks that already came, bitcoin cash and bitcoin gold. During those forks we received the same amount to what we already have in our bitcoin wallets. Like for your example you had 1BTC you automatically have 1 BTC or 1 BTG. But this one seems to be different, it might not give you the same amount. It was said to be a different application that divides people who accepts it or decline it, therefore, making it old bitcoin and new bitcoin.
Activity: 1862
Merit: 830
November 05, 2017, 05:18:36 AM
Well the fork on November 16.. the segwit2x is a hard fork thus for sure will ypu be able to collect the equal amount of the new launched coins.
The core team of bitcoins have choosed not to support this fork but.. there are some other people that are launching segwit2x and they do belong to the .. bitcoin team only...some people think that this will be the end of bitcoins because now that the community will be divided and less crowd will support the bitcoins thus the bubble will brust and the price will go down tremendously.
In the new coin B2X they have added.. new support system... More space for doing transactions and stuff.. Due to it Being faster a lot of bitcoin community will be attracted towards it..
But B2X is not safe..
Some are saying its..really a conspiracy theory that intends to.. kill the bitcoin market..but who knows whats correct.
Most of the aites don't support this... Offline Wallets.. Still are fighting over for it being safe or not thus its hard for someone to find a wallet that is...both safe and supporting it.
Activity: 442
Merit: 105
November 05, 2017, 05:13:04 AM
Yes, your understanding is correct. If the fork happens (I'm fairly confident that it will) you will receive the equivalent amount of the forked coin B2X.

I would advise you to place your coins in a paper wallet or some other type of wallet that is well trusted. If you are planning on dumping BTC or B2X quickly after the fork, I would place it on an exchange which supports B2X.

I will probably either dump them or convert them to a stable alt coin. Do you suggest any specific paper wallet that will be compatible for this? I don't even know what a paper wallet is lol. I have Exodus on my computer. As for the exchange, I have Coinbase (GDAX), Kraken, Bitstamp, and Poloniex. Of those which would you suggest?

So if I store it in an exchange what will my process be? Wait until right after fork and then withdraw the new B2x to something like another wallet then send it back to exchange? Or will it just be there for me to sell?
Activity: 798
Merit: 503
November 05, 2017, 05:11:01 AM
A desktop wallet like Mycelium and Electrum are fine, and they each have their separate instructions to getting the B2X after the fork. keeping your coins on an exchange may be easier, but less safe as problems may occur, or the exchange may shut down/get attacked.

When the fork comes, do listen to others for advice and keep an eye out for whatever steps that may still your coins, and follow the instructions carefully for your coins to be safe. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1491
The first decentralized crypto betting platform
November 05, 2017, 05:08:43 AM
The problem this time is that both new coins want to be called bitcoin. The normal thing would be that the new fork gets another name but in this case Segwit2x fork wants to be called bitcoin, so, if they succeed, Bitcoin (Core) would need to have another name. In the beginning Coinbase said that they would maintain “bitcoin” for the original one and would call “B2X” the new one but after they changed the statement:

“What will Coinbase call these two blockchains?

Following the fork, we will continue referring to the current bitcoin blockchain as Bitcoin with the symbol ‘BTC’.  We will refer to the new blockchain resulting from the fork as Bitcoin2x with the symbol ‘B2X’.

If the Segwit2x change is accepted by most users, we may choose to rename these blockchains at a later date.

Edit: At the time of the fork, the existing chain will be called Bitcoin and the Segwit2x for will be called Bitcoin2x. Ultimately, we will call the fork with the most accumulated difficulty Bitcoin. We will wait for a period of time after the fork, before finalizing the naming.”

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2892985-segwit-2x-faq
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
November 05, 2017, 04:59:12 AM
some believe that the new bitcoin will be better and can kill the old btc. Previously, new coins were given proportionally to the old
Activity: 383
Merit: 161
https://nitrogensports.eu/r/4896627
November 05, 2017, 04:50:37 AM

Activity: 442
Merit: 105
November 05, 2017, 04:29:53 AM

Pages:
Jump to: