Pages:
Author

Topic: Now that the bet is over... - page 2. (Read 2529 times)

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
September 09, 2012, 02:09:18 PM
Boo Hoo... just wen I thought I had 'water-wings', it turns out that they popped and I will end up drowning anyways...LOL

Bitlane it is going to be really hard for any of us who did not lose money with pirate to even flinch at your trolling.

The fact that you did invest with pirate...well....speaks for itself in large volumes.

Cheers!
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I heart thebaron
September 09, 2012, 02:07:10 PM
Boo Hoo... just wen I thought I had 'water-wings', it turns out that they popped and I will end up drowning anyways...LOL
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Ad astra.
September 09, 2012, 02:01:10 PM
You guys are taking this way too far.

Matthew welched on a silly bet, to try and prove a point. You guys are treating him as if he TOOK MONEY OUT OF YOUR POCKETS.

Considering how relaxed most people have been, in regards to Trendon Shavers aka Pirateat40 (causing most of my frustration) I find Matthew's situation to be a bit 'scape-goatish' under the circumstances.

Does Matthew really deserve to be punished to the extent he currently is being punished ?

There are far more people on this forum that have done far worse and still don't seem to have a scammer tag or their names dragged through the mud and THEY ACTUALLY LOST PEOPLE'S MONEY. Nothing was lost in the 'Matthew' situation, right ?

People made their bet because Matt told them to hedge for a pirate default when they could have sold their debt at 75% when the bet started.  They did in fact lose money because of this.  Stop trying to explain this away.  He is a scamming fuck.  Period.
Not trying to explain it away. I'm trying to show that precisely this type of reasoning is childish.

It certainly seems so in retrospect, doesn't it? Matthew, unlike Pirate, had a good reputation and known identity.
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
September 09, 2012, 01:54:21 PM

Matthew welched on a silly bet, to try and prove a point. You guys are treating him as if he TOOK MONEY OUT OF YOUR POCKETS.

Considering how relaxed most people have been, in regards to Trendon Shavers aka Pirateat40 (causing most of my frustration) I find Matthew's situation to be a bit 'scape-goatish' under the circumstances.

Does Matthew really deserve to be punished to the extent he currently is being punished ?

There are far more people on this forum that have done far worse and still don't seem to have a scammer tag or their names dragged through the mud and THEY ACTUALLY LOST PEOPLE'S MONEY. Nothing was lost in the 'Matthew' situation, right ?

People made their bet because Matt told them to hedge for a pirate default when they could have sold their debt at 75% when the bet started.  They did in fact lose money because of this.  Stop trying to explain this away.  He is a scamming fuck.  Period.
Not trying to explain it away. I'm trying to show that precisely this type of reasoning is childish.
legendary
September 09, 2012, 01:49:41 PM
Matthew might be worse for bitcoin than Pirate. Pirate was clear as day a scam.

Matthew was branded staff on this forum and EIC of btc mag, etc, etc, etc

Clearly. Imaginary money vs REAL MONEY....obviously worse  Roll Eyes

It's Bitcoin Reputation (w/ businesses and others) vs. People Too Stupid that sent their money to someone named "PIRATEAT40"
Activity: 187
Merit: 100
September 09, 2012, 01:49:19 PM

Well, people who counted on the bet hedging their pirate debt surely lost money by not taking other offers.

And we don't know for sure why he pulled this stupid stunt, he sure did nothing to prove his original cause, and he may well have profited from it, e. g. by dealing in the pirate debt market himself.

I heart thebaron
September 09, 2012, 01:47:14 PM

Clearly. Imaginary money vs REAL MONEY....obviously worse  Roll Eyes
legendary
September 09, 2012, 01:46:16 PM

Activity: 322
September 09, 2012, 01:44:35 PM

I heart thebaron
September 09, 2012, 01:40:48 PM

donator
September 09, 2012, 01:38:51 PM
All of the things he describes in his interview with Micon he contradicts and also adds to.

http://www.donkdown.com/media/DDRadio-2012_08_22_19_00_07.mp3
I have listened to it. It's what makes me think he's a decent guy. He sure picked a foolish bet, but then again there were many people gambling in pirate...equally foolish. But Mathews point is well taken...it reminds me of the people calling Casascius an idiot when he made a typo on his first series coins...people who hadn't actually done something for the community...(not that I've done much)
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
September 09, 2012, 01:35:38 PM
Does pirate have the scammer tag yet?
I just checked, and yes, he finally got one.
legendary
September 09, 2012, 01:29:27 PM
All of the things he describes in his interview with Micon he contradicts and also adds to.

http://www.donkdown.com/media/DDRadio-2012_08_22_19_00_07.mp3
Activity: 900
Merit: 1014
advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe
September 09, 2012, 01:28:51 PM
Now that we've given a scammer tag to a man after just a few hours of his even being able to verify that he indeed lost a crazy bet (a man who was probably sleeping at the time by the way), perhaps we should move on to something more significant.

Where's the revolution going next? Mesh networks? Insinuating itself (brilliantly) amongst the big established credit card companies in the fashion of BitInstant? Bitcoin banks with multisig?

As much as some might hate to admit it, it's gonna be someone like Matthew and decidedly not someone like Pirate that pushes Bitcoin forward...if you can't see the difference between a real scammer who profited off of others and what Matthew did, or think they are somehow equivalent, I suggest you think carefully. Most grown ups can see the difference...and no one really believes something that is too good to be true, much less act or rely upon it...

Good day all.

+1

Does pirate have the scammer tag yet?
donator
September 09, 2012, 01:27:10 PM
Now that we've given a scammer tag to a man after just a few hours of his even being able to verify that he indeed lost a crazy bet (a man who was probably sleeping at the time by the way), perhaps we should move on to something more significant.

Where's the revolution going next? Mesh networks? Insinuating itself (brilliantly) amongst the big established credit card companies in the fashion of BitInstant? Bitcoin banks with multisig?

As much as some might hate to admit it, it's gonna be someone like Matthew and decidedly not someone like Pirate that pushes Bitcoin forward...if you can't see the difference between a real scammer who profited off of others and what Matthew did, or think they are somehow equivalent, I suggest you think carefully. Most grown ups can see the difference...and no one really believes something that is too good to be true, much less act or rely upon it...

Good day all.
Pages:
Jump to: