Pages:
Author

Topic: NUCLEAR IS GREENEST TECHNOLOGY CLAIM 65 TOP BIOLOGISTS - page 3. (Read 4210 times)

Activity: 320
Merit: 250
★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice
Ask russia/ukraine and japan how well it worked out for them. "Green" is only until something happens, then it becomes blacker than everything else...for centuries. NO to nuclear energy, lets focus on solar harvesting.

I agree Solar and Wind should be an alternative energy instead of chemicals.. The Fukushima incident is a sign that we should not support such energies
Activity: 602
Merit: 501
Ask russia/ukraine and japan how well it worked out for them. "Green" is only until something happens, then it becomes blacker than everything else...for centuries. NO to nuclear energy, lets focus on solar harvesting.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever
Sure, nuclear is the greenest technology... if you ignore the hundreds of thousands of tons of nuclear waste overflowing with no place to go, and the fallout blanketing the earth from failed reactors.
Activity: 444
Merit: 260
World's First NUCLEAR SALT REACTOR - Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIDytUCRtTA

A liquified salt activator (MSR) is a class of nuclear fission activators where the primary coolant, or also the energy itself, is a liquified salt mix. MSRs perform at higher temperature levels than water-cooled reactors for greater thermodynamic savings, while staying at low vapor tension.

In many designs the nuclear energy is dissolved in the molten fluoride salt coolant as uranium tetrafluoride (UF4). Solid energy designs rely on ceramic energy dispersed in a graphite matrix, regarding the molten salt providing low stress, high temperature level air conditioning.

The early Aircraft Reactor Experiment (1954) was primarily motivated by the tiny dimension that the style might offer, while the Molten-Salt Reactor Experiment (1965-- 1969) was a prototype for a thorium gas cycle breeder activator nuclear power plant. Among the Generation IV reactor designs is a molten-salt-cooled, molten-salt-fuelled reactor; the initial reference design is 1000 MWe.

A great documentary, Lets hope they succeed 

They raised $410K on kick starter to make the documentry
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1006
Lol what a scam. Nuclear technology is deprecated and Geothermal is the future.
Activity: 308
Merit: 100
I'm nothing without GOD
If we can figure out nuclear fission for helium we could make a shit ton of energy.
Activity: 182
Merit: 123
"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"
Nuclear is the best way to assure a long term trace of having boiled water. I very dislike nuclear technology. It's a very sure way to have the best case example of why so called public-private partnership are Huuuugggeeee scam.

the public will :
- not be able to decentralize electricity production-storage-innovation due to the low subsidized cost of nuclear energy.
- have to carry the cost of subsidizing the energy production
- will not be able to maximize the conversion of watts to $.
- will not be able to get the fuck out of there (where ever it may be) on a timely fashion (private jet rdy).

the private will:
- not be able to decentralize electricity production-storage-innovation due to the low subsidized cost of nuclear energy.
- will benefits from the low cost of subsidized energy
- will be able to maximize the conversion of watts to $
- will be able to get the fuck out of there (where ever it may be) on a timely fashion (private jet rdy)
- will monster naked short those fç"* shares in case of event
- will profit from the construction, running, disposal of the waste and removal of the operation once old.
- will profit from the increase need of defense budget

but more generally speaking it's the lack of decentralization that nuclear technology induce, the inherent system risk of having a centralized energy production, and the inherent systemic risks of the nuclear energy production (a few mistakes and the nearby cities are ghosted faster than... forevermore... ). However I agree that the job that the nuclear industry does is quite interesting. How they have successfully dominate the news on this story... it's ironic that they can't master radioactivity as easily... the soviets learned it the hardway btw... but seems to have too forgotten what they may be ready to inflict upon generations of unborn for the sake of a few lights more at night... 1. decentralized energy production 2. decentralized energy storage... that will be the true alt Cheesy.

edit: lame me, biologists Cheesy.

edit2 : it's funny to think that life on earth is water based and that apparently nuclear wastes mix well with water... who knows, the space is wide and dark... only mind conquered by an out of earth life form can support such primitive technology. And frankly NT goes deeply against the philosophy of Earth as best space craft ever. At least now there is apparently still no need to wear a full nbc gear... if you want it hard go on the dark side of the moon or mars and beyond do your "innovations"-"science"-"wars"-"conflicts"-"pollutions".

edit3: you can still reduce a little (but if you get the "tail" it's anyway pointless) by imposing everyone involved to live 5 miles max radius around installations Cheesy.

not all tail event are the same...
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145
Sixty-five of the world’s leading biologists are demanding the “historical antagonism” towards nuclear power from the green lobby end. In an open letter, the group is expected to claim it is too risky to replace fossil fuels with wind turbines and are calling for nuclear to be in the “energy mix” as it is the greenest technology of all.

There is some merit to this opinion. Nuclear power may be the greenest of the all available options, but it is the most risky technology at the same time. Remember we're yet to find a workable solution to get rid of the nuclear waste?
The problem is that people generally believe all nuclear power generation is the same, which is not true. Over time, various generations of plants have been designed and built, each significantly safer.  Current designs require operators to sustain their reaction, and default to safer states when things fail.  First and second generation reactors require operators to control the reaction, and faults can leave them in runaway conditions. 

1st generation reactors should be completely shut down (I don't think any are still in large scale operation).  2nd generation should be phased out and replaced with 3+ as soon as possible.

I agree to that. There are still some 1st generation reactors and mainly 2nd generation reactors running.
main problem here is the building cost & duration of new nuclear power plants.
Build time and cost is around 3-4 times to that of fossil fueled power plants.

And to be honest if cost would not play the main role we could just use regenerative energy.
Activity: 285
Turning money into heat since 2011.
Sixty-five of the world’s leading biologists are demanding the “historical antagonism” towards nuclear power from the green lobby end. In an open letter, the group is expected to claim it is too risky to replace fossil fuels with wind turbines and are calling for nuclear to be in the “energy mix” as it is the greenest technology of all.

There is some merit to this opinion. Nuclear power may be the greenest of the all available options, but it is the most risky technology at the same time. Remember we're yet to find a workable solution to get rid of the nuclear waste?
The problem is that people generally believe all nuclear power generation is the same, which is not true. Over time, various generations of plants have been designed and built, each significantly safer.  Current designs require operators to sustain their reaction, and default to safer states when things fail.  First and second generation reactors require operators to control the reaction, and faults can leave them in runaway conditions. 

1st generation reactors should be completely shut down (I don't think any are still in large scale operation).  2nd generation should be phased out and replaced with 3+ as soon as possible.
Activity: 252
www.CloudThink.IO

Nuclear energy is actually very safe. There are a very low number of nuclear "incidents" and most incidents involve no deaths/injuries.

The problem with nuclear energy is that when something bad happens it can potentially kill millions of people. On EV level nuclear power is probably more green then solar/wind energy
sgk
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
!! HODL !!

legendary
no he is not.
and i even posted a source which is from the world nuclear association. only if the coal fuelled powerplant have no working filter system or pollution control the statement is correct.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Safety-and-Security/Radiation-and-Health/Naturally-Occurring-Radioactive-Materials-NORM/

...and what about dumping the ash? As far as I know that stuff used to go into bricks, cement and landfills... and sometimes to Somalia Roll Eyes

like the radioactive waste from nuclear power plants am i right? just that they are thousands times more toxic for the next 10.000 - 100.000 years  Roll Eyes

the source i gave you is from the biggest nuclear lobby in the world. as a nuclear power fan WNA should be your god, your dad and your mother at the same time.
and they say this is just a plain wrong statement.

im trying to imagine instead of 2 coal fuelled powerplants we have 1 nuclear power plant.
we would have a ultimate MCA every 2-5 years?

for example:
the funny thing germany has by far (very far) the highest security standards for nuclear power plants, but it is still far from safe, we still have alot of problems happening all over the place.
i dont even wanna imagine how it would look like when third world countries and tiger states are running full on nuclear power.
without the right security nuclear power plants are not that different from a nuclear time bomb.
indeed, ignorance is bliss

There are lots of nuclear power plants in Europe and in the US. Do we have serious accidents in every 2-5 years? I don't think so.
Many of those third world countries and tiger states are already running nuclear power plants without any issues.

If you guys are not confident with your knowledge and safety practices about nuclear power plants, certainly you don't have to use those things Wink.
BTW what will be next? When BMW will start breeding horses Smiley?

1. i was thinking of a future where nuclear power plants are replacing coal fueled power plants.

2. please look up the numbers of existing nuclear power plants, coal fueled power plants and the respective ratio.

3. which 3rd world country has nuclear power plants? do tiger states really have more then a handful nuclear power plants?

4. the german security and technology standards regarding nuclear power is far superior to that of the us (and all other in the world) and we are not confident because we have problems.
that should tell you from the US something right? us security and technology standards are pretty much only on par with russia  Cry

5. do you know how many nuclear power plants has to be build so that mankind doesnt need coal anymore?

2-5 years per mca if mankind is lucky lol

/edit

about serious accidents, you should look up the history of nuclear power plants in the us again lol
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
no he is not.
and i even posted a source which is from the world nuclear association. only if the coal fuelled powerplant have no working filter system or pollution control the statement is correct.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Safety-and-Security/Radiation-and-Health/Naturally-Occurring-Radioactive-Materials-NORM/

...and what about dumping the ash? As far as I know that stuff used to go into bricks, cement and landfills... and sometimes to Somalia Roll Eyes

im trying to imagine instead of 2 coal fuelled powerplants we have 1 nuclear power plant.

for example:
the funny thing germany has by far (very far) the highest security standards for nuclear power plants, but it is still far from safe, we still have alot of problems happening all over the place.
i dont even wanna imagine how it would look like when third world countries and tiger states are running full on nuclear power.
without the right security nuclear power plants are not that different from a nuclear time bomb.

There are lots of nuclear power plants in Europe and in the US. Do we have serious accidents in every 2-5 years? I don't think so.
Many of those third world countries and tiger states are already running nuclear power plants without any issues.

If you guys are not confident with your knowledge and safety practices about nuclear power plants, certainly you don't have to use those things Wink.
BTW what will be next? When BMW will start breeding horses Smiley?
legendary
Well, those green guys usually don't know what they talking about. Many of them talking rubbish about the greatness of solar panels and wind turbines but most of them unaware of the real world efficiency,  and the amount of energy consumed by the manufacturing process of these things.  ... ignorance is bliss.
My sister got infected with this shit recently and tried to infect me through talking about e-mobiles. I've tried to tell her that electricity should be produced at power station before she will be able to use it. She then answered me "I'll try to discuss this issue with guys from our company" and continued to tell me the same shit... E-mobiles will save the world blah blah blah...

They also have no idea that coal, oil and other natural fossils have significant amounts of uranium and thorium... As the result, coal powered plants introduced greater amounts of radioactivity than Chernobyl & Fukushima & all other accidents being combined.

I think these surges of environmentalism are something like chickenpox, or wild parties, almost every young people goes trough that but most of them going to recuperate without prolonged symptoms Smiley. Don't worry, I'm sure she will be better soon Smiley.
legendary

He's right. Nearly all coals containing small amounts of radon and radioactive uranium, thorium, barium potassium isotopes in concentration varying with the area where it is mined. Oil and natural gas contains radium and radon. In the ash all of these stuff getting concentrated. More details: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste/

no he is not.

Chernobil and Fukushima was two pretty bad accident indeed but, across the world 10-30 thousands of people dying every year because of pollution generated by the coal burning power plants. So there is a hidden cost what we are actually paying day by day, and this isn't some "whos gonna pay when" type guessing, but hard facts.

for example:

legendary
whos gonna pay when (not if, when) tschernobyl and fukushima is gonna happen again?
Knock-Knock! It's ignorance knocking. Grin

They also have no idea that coal, oil and other natural fossils have significant amounts of uranium and thorium... As the result, coal powered plants introduced greater amounts of radioactivity than Chernobyl & Fukushima & all other accidents being combined.

Roll Eyes

He's right. Nearly all coals containing small amounts of radon and radioactive uranium, thorium, barium potassium isotopes in concentration varying with the area where it is mined. Oil and natural gas contains radium and radon. In the ash all of these stuff getting concentrated. More details: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste/

Chernobil and Fukushima was two pretty bad accident indeed but, across the world 10-30 thousands of people dying every year because of pollution generated by the coal burning power plants. So there is a hidden cost what we are actually paying day by day, and this isn't some "whos gonna pay when" type guessing, but hard facts.
legendary
balthazar could get a job at tschernobyl or fukushima and make a youtube diary on how healthy the radiation there is (helps against acne i heard)

Roll Eyes

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
Personally I have no problem with radioactivity... It's an eternal and inevitable part of our world, just like air, water or sunlight:

(c) myself

However, I have problem with these greenpeace zombies, who have brought nothing but damage and growing entropy. Roll Eyes

One thing for sure: the Soviets knew how to build their monuments to last  Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZkgcVNUmLQ

I need that hand in my garden now. Just in case of a... flash.

legendary
Activity: 1540
yeah, it's green alright.

A mass worldwide adoption of nuclear power would be the most disastrous thing to ever happen to our human species, the environmentalists are so crazy about carbon dioxide they completely forgot about nuclear radiation. I haven't even gotten into how difficult it is to get rid of the nuclear waste involved with nuclear power and believe me, the more you learn about uranium and the methods used to create nuclear power the more you realise how utterly fucking terrifying it can be even in the right hands.

Japan ran their nuclear power plants like a military base and it still wasn't enough, it's just too unstable to use safely right now.
Pages:
Jump to: