Pages:
Author

Topic: Nvidia more efficient to mine scrypt? - page 2. (Read 4972 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
February 22, 2014, 07:14:31 PM
are those 750ti cards already available, anyone can confirm that they are so good at mining? How about sha 3 mining, not scrypt ?
Activity: 840
Merit: 255
SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes
February 22, 2014, 06:12:15 PM
The problem is that there are no high-end Maxwell cards, and there will not be any until later this year.

Nvidia will not build high-end Maxwell cards using the 28nm node, it will wait for TSMC’s 20nm high-performance node, which is almost ready, but not quite. It should be ready for full-scale production sometime in the second half of 2014.

However, by the time Nvidia launches high-end GM200 series products based on Maxwell, AMD will also transition to 20nm with a tweaked Hawaii architecture, so it shouldn’t have much trouble maintaining its lead in the GPU mining niche.

source: coindesk.com

The problem with that is that nvidia is already more efficient using 28nm on maxwell.
I'm yet to see evidence of this

Evidence is in the OP. Huh
GTX 750/Ti is a 28nm Maxwell card.
These 2 reviews contradict themselves:

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/NVIDIA-Coin-Mining-Performance-Increases-Maxwell-and-GTX-750-Ti

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/176785-nvidias-new-maxwell-powered-gtx-750-ti-is-hyper-efficient-quiet-a-serious-threat-to-amd/3

Also, look at https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/save-money-undervolting-7970-xfx-self-made-vbe7-bios-table-of-contents-395004
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
February 22, 2014, 05:56:57 PM
So:

$150 to mine 245kh? <-- nVidia
$320 to mine 700kh? <-- AMD 280x

How is that better? I dont get it.

$35-40 to mine 200-210kh <---- used 5770s.  Every one of them I have (5) mine at 850+core/1200 RAM @ 1.000 volts.
Activity: 117
February 22, 2014, 05:52:15 PM
The problem is that there are no high-end Maxwell cards, and there will not be any until later this year.

Nvidia will not build high-end Maxwell cards using the 28nm node, it will wait for TSMC’s 20nm high-performance node, which is almost ready, but not quite. It should be ready for full-scale production sometime in the second half of 2014.

However, by the time Nvidia launches high-end GM200 series products based on Maxwell, AMD will also transition to 20nm with a tweaked Hawaii architecture, so it shouldn’t have much trouble maintaining its lead in the GPU mining niche.

The problem with that is that nvidia is already more efficient using 28nm on maxwell.

Evidence is in the OP. Huh
GTX 750/Ti is a 28nm Maxwell card.
February 22, 2014, 04:20:30 PM

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
February 22, 2014, 02:55:09 PM

Activity: 630
Merit: 502
February 22, 2014, 02:54:07 PM
In the second half the year, ASICs will also be entering the market.
sgk
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
!! HODL !!
February 22, 2014, 02:51:30 PM

February 21, 2014, 06:35:16 PM
I did not intend to offend anyone, so I'm sorry if anyone felt offended by that.

But seriously, tables have turned. initial investment in $ per # is closely the same as building a AMD rig yet you can save 50% of the power, which in the long run is where your main expense lies.

(yes of-course i undervolt my cards, anything else would be insanity)
Oh indeed, on tables turning when considering hash/W, I can see that coming.
Activity: 41
February 21, 2014, 06:27:47 PM
I did not intend to offend anyone, so I'm sorry if anyone felt offended by that.

But seriously, tables have turned. initial investment in $ per # is closely the same as building a AMD rig yet you can save 50% of the power, which in the long run is where your main expense lies.

(yes of-course i undervolt my cards, anything else would be insanity)
February 21, 2014, 06:21:50 PM
Anyone in this thread actually running more than a few cards?

I am currently trying to run 22x amd 280x cards. The basement where these are running is now almost 30 degree Celsius. And I'm hashing SHA3 which creates a fraction of the heat scrypt does. Not to mention the amount of power all of this draws. with the 280x's i have a watt to hash ratio of 2,6. So my 5,8kw is roughly giving me 15mh/s on scrypt where as with nvidia rigs (that by the way is cheaper to build) with equal power usage i could get 28mh/s. Anyone who dont see the math why the profit margin is very much in favour of nVidia needs to do a reality check. Because 45kw power a year is not exactly cheap.

This is a game changer! stop being fanboys were in the profit business not fanboy business!
Accusing others of being fanboys just because they are discussing, is also unwarranted. Take this rhetoric elsewhere please.

Did you undervolt your cards?
February 21, 2014, 06:12:01 PM
The build cost is equally cheaper.

Where i buy my components which is not nearly as cheap as many other country's i come up with a 1,91Kh/s per $ for  for a nVidia setup where as i get 2,1kh/s per $ for a AMD setup (all expenses included). heat = more space required or heavier cooling, these cards also run a lot colder than what AMD does as well as reports are that cards barely get upto 65 degree, and heat is something that is very hard on AMD as they easily run upto 90+++ unless you have a ton of fans and space between the cards.

Activity: 84
February 21, 2014, 06:04:05 PM

I am currently trying to run 22x amd 280x cards. The basement where these are running is now almost 30 degree Celsius. And I'm hashing SHA3 which creates a fraction of the heat scrypt does. Not to mention the amount of power all of this draws. with the 280x's i have a watt to hash ratio of 2,6. So my 5,8kw is roughly giving me 15mh/s on scrypt where as with nvidia rigs (that by the way is cheaper to build) with equal power usage i could get 28mh/s. Anyone who dont see the math why the profit margin is very much in favour of nVidia needs to do a reality check. Because 45kw power a year is not exactly cheap.

This is a game changer! stop being fanboys were in the profit business not fanboy business!
Valid points. Now factor in additional motherboards, processors, memory, hard drives, power supplies (because you can only hook up so many cards to each one), additional racks/space.
February 21, 2014, 05:45:49 PM

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
February 21, 2014, 05:37:40 PM
So:

$150 to mine 245kh? <-- nVidia
$320 to mine 700kh? <-- AMD 280x

How is that better? I dont get it.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
February 21, 2014, 04:45:29 PM
one 7950 230Euros Avg 600Khs, 1 GTX 750 150Euros Avg 280Khs so i dont think Nvidia is cheap but yes you have to pay les electricity bill but more investment=more MB,HDD,Memory etc
February 21, 2014, 04:00:37 PM
AMD's drivers really do blow chunks, though.  The amount of ballsing about to get them mining.

On a nVidia machine, just run cudaminer and it's hashing.  No SDK voodoo, no dodgy driver versions.  

Definitely thinking of getting a couple of 750Ti to replace my clapped out old 7770 and 7850 cards.
Yeah, as a gamer I rather have Nvidia and it's drivers, but the voodoo and immaturity has to do with AMD coming later to GPGPU and sooner to mining. On recent drivers you don't need SDK
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
February 21, 2014, 03:33:44 PM
Not worth to mine with Nvidia
Activity: 84
February 21, 2014, 02:47:32 PM
Exactly!!! In order to get the same speeds as say a 280x, you will need 3 times as many cards. Its already an issue getting more than 4 cards to work properly. You will need more motherboards, more memory, more risers, etc...

People writing these articles are looking in one direction. Yes it saves money on power, but the rest of the expenses will far outweigh that benefit.
Activity: 2
February 21, 2014, 02:13:37 PM
However much you save on electricity, you will lose several times over in infrastructural costs. You will need more cards to get the same speed, meaning bigger and/or more motherboards in your miner.
Additionally, overclocking the 750 is a big no-no. PCIe power draw is capped at 75W, while this card draws 68W already. So unless you get an auxiliary power connector for every card on your miner, get ready for the lovely smell of well-done PCB. Even if you supply the 750s with the right environment, they are still budget cards and will not survive as long under a reasonable overclock.

Methinks the author of the article has never dealt with building a miner himself and all that impresses him is the hash-to-watt ratio.

I agree with Wirel though, a high-end Maxwell GPU might be well worth considering. A bit like what AMD did with the HD 6*** generation - slightly slower, but much more power efficient than the HD 5***.
Pages:
Jump to: