Pages:
Author

Topic: [Offically Announced] U.S. To Sell Silkroad's Bitcoins - page 2. (Read 4303 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 255
Anyone have an idea where these auctions usually take place?  Not that I have any spare change to spend but I am curious.  

I do think this is actually good for BTC.  Besides the minor panic selling yesterday and today, this is all free advertising!   Grin  

I guess I am a bit more concerned about what will happen to Ulbricht's 144,000 coins that are still in limbo.  Hopefully he lost the keys somewhere!   Cheesy  

You must be blonde.....

They already got the key and moved the coins to their own address. Can you read btw?

Yes she is blonde (well, fake)...

Maybe she missed an article somewhere along the way.  But yes, the coins are no longer in limbo.  They have been moved to an FBI controlled account.

Try some manners, dude.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Anyone have an idea where these auctions usually take place?  Not that I have any spare change to spend but I am curious.  

I do think this is actually good for BTC.  Besides the minor panic selling yesterday and today, this is all free advertising!   Grin  

I guess I am a bit more concerned about what will happen to Ulbricht's 144,000 coins that are still in limbo.  Hopefully he lost the keys somewhere!   Cheesy  

You must be blonde.....

They already got the key and moved the coins to their own address. Can you read btw?

So I am. Wink  I had not heard that Ulbricht's stash of 144,000 had been moved anywhere.  Regardless, that makes me more nervous than the 29,000.

legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
does anyone know what proportion of trade on silk road was for legal goods? i'd feel a bit annoyed if the feds had the money i'd put on there to buy a lovely painting for my grandma, caveat emptor regardless.

Doesn't matter, they don't discriminate. Victimful crime money, victimless crime money, not a crime at all money, they take it all by force, and it's never, EVER, enough.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/01/16/the-feds-are-ready-to-sell-the-silk-road-bitcoin-kind-of/
“Any Silk Road users who had legitimate holdings on the site are out of luck.”

No wonder why anarchy is preferable to the chaos all governments administer, waving their magic wand and labeling 100% non-criminal transactions/funds thereof, “money laundering”.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500

You must be blonde.....

legendary

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I got short at the beginning of the week, and sweated... I hate selling coin at anytime. But now it appears to have been a smart move (just need some therapy to repair the trama from having my stash down by %10 for a few days). My game plan is coming together, I now have thousand$ waiting to catch this fall out. I can't believe people are selling coin under $4000 right now, and thank you!
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
follow me on twitter @BitcoinBender
I call major bullshit here.  25M is not all the coins.  Nor do I see how they can sell assets before any court case has even started.   

This reeks of short selling hype.

theres two wallets owned by dpr one with 144,000 coins and another with 29,000 I guess theyre starting with the smaller one. Just google "silkroad seized coins" and you find them on the blockchain.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
I call major bullshit here.  25M is not all the coins.  Nor do I see how they can sell assets before any court case has even started.   

This reeks of short selling hype.
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
I can't believe how no one talking about how a guy is being relieved of 25 million dollars of his cash for getting caught. Honestly, he shouldn't even be getting any jail time at all since he just donated more money to the FBI then a year's worth of taxes.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
this is the best news ever

[1] You have a law enforcement agency of the US recognising the not only the value in bit-coins, but showing it is fully legal to sell them for FIAT. You probably couldn't ask for a better endorsement. (I wonder if the need a money transmitters licence to do this?)

[2] They are going to have to auction them of for the best price, I think the bids will really go up.

[3] the $25 mill / 26K of coins is not that much given the volume of BTC traded a day ~ about a days worth of trade on a slow day.

[4] The advertising factor of the alone is worth $25 Mil.

[5] people / weak hands that don't understand this giving us cheap coins
Agreed.

Also these coins WILL NOT be sold on an exchange.  They will be auctioned by the normal federal process.  Do you think they are going to send the coins to MTGOX for sale?  That would be funny but it will not be happening. 
Activity: 169
Merit: 100
Activity: 504
Any word on how/when the BTC will be auctioned off?  Who else thinks they might just go to some insider before the public has a chance to get them.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011
Be A Digital Miner
Based on 114,636 BTC daily, the 29,655 BTC that the FBI is about to sell is what is normally being sold approximately every 6 hours. What's the big fuss about.
Most exchanges count the buy and the sell.   So double 29,655 or half your exchange volume estimate.  It is a huge amount of one days volume.   
If you want to know why it would move the market temporarily, good supply and demand and its effect on pricing.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Based on 114,636 BTC daily, the 29,655 BTC that the FBI is about to sell is what is normally being sold approximately every 6 hours. What's the big fuss about.
legendary
Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035
Bitcoin accepted here

[1] You have a law enforcement agency of the US recognising the not only the value in bit-coins, but showing it is fully legal to sell them for FIAT. You probably couldn't ask for a better endorsement. (I wonder if the need a money transmitters licence to do this?)

[2] They are going to have to auction them of for the best price, I think the bids will really go up.

[3] the $25 mill / 26K of coins is not that much given the volume of BTC traded a day ~ about a days worth of trade on a slow day.

I totally agree.
Activity: 680
Nonsense, there was no question over whether selling bitcoins for FIAT was legal in the US.

Also, a lot of BTC volume is traded back and forth, not one way, so dumping 26k coins WILL make a different to the price, especially on a slow day.

It's not terrible news, but it's certainly not "the best news ever".  Grin
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Count me in for some cheap coins! In the long run this won't have any real affect on Bitcoin  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1204
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Personally I'm excited about this and I'm trying to round up some cash to buy in at new lows. :-)
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
does anyone know what proportion of trade on silk road was for legal goods? i'd feel a bit annoyed if the feds had the money i'd put on there to buy a lovely painting for my grandma, caveat emptor regardless.

Yeah and I was trying to buy a lava lamp
legendary
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust

lol , true Grin
Pages:
Jump to: