Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 618. (Read 5805546 times)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

Sure you can.  Why wouldn't you be able to do that?

As long as you have your bitcoind/Bitcoin client started in server mode and the block chain up to date.

I don't know anything about GUIMiner and have no idea what that would have to do with anything.
Sam

Thank you very much! Wink

I mentioned guiminer becuase I used it in the past to do solo mining.
It sets my username/pass for solo mining and also launches btc client in server mode.
legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself
Hi  Smiley

I have a doubt...
Sorry if this is already asked but 235 pages are too long to read  Shocked

Can I set "Solo Mode" mining in CGminer as follows?

Code:
cgminer -o http://localhost:3332 -u MyUserName -p MyPassWord -I 9 --auto-fan --auto-gpu --gpu-engine 800,800,775 --gpu-memclock 300

Username and pass for solo mode mining are previously set with guiminer.

Thanks in advance  Wink

Sure you can.  Why wouldn't you be able to do that?

As long as you have your bitcoind/Bitcoin client started in server mode and the block chain up to date.

I don't know anything about GUIMiner and have no idea what that would have to do with anything.
Sam
Activity: 642
Merit: 500
You can only set the 7970 memory 150 lower than the engine clock speed. That's precisely why the memdiff feature exists in cgminer, so add this to your commands:
--gpu-memdiff -150

I didn't know that command existed.  Nice.

A BIOS flash will take care of that clock/voltage issue nicely.  Smiley   (Assuming it's a dedicated rig, of course)
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
Hi  Smiley

I have a doubt...
Sorry if this is already asked but 235 pages are too long to read  Shocked

Can I set "Solo Mode" mining in CGminer as follows?

Code:
cgminer -o http://localhost:3332 -u MyUserName -p MyPassWord -I 9 --auto-fan --auto-gpu --gpu-engine 800,800,775 --gpu-memclock 300

Username and pass for solo mode mining are previously set with guiminer.

Thanks in advance  Wink
Activity: 630
Uninstalled version "2.6", deleted the DLL's manually in System32 and SysWOW64 (necessary step going between versions!), then installed this new leaked version.  Deleted my kernel bins in cgminer dir as usual, then launched...

Can't really see any change in performance.  Hopefully this gives ckolivas and the kernel devs something to chew on and progress forward, though.

I'm very confused by the overall driver version thing. Is there a post (on this forum or somewhere else) that clarifies driver versions, OpenCL versions, which versions to use, how to change them and so on? I'm using Windows 7.
No and it's a shame because the good info is just spread out all over the place on these forums  Embarrassed
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
2.3.1f Smiley OK That's from my git that was added to BAMT after 2.3.1 was released
That was to add API support for FPGA's ... 29-Feb ... yep.

That problem description might suggest a possible problem ... not related to my git change ...
If no one else has said or done anything when I wake up I'll look at making a quick test binary for you then
- but it's 3am and I'm tired and likely to make mistakes now Tongue
Activity: 309
Merit: 250

You mentioned those are not dedicated mining rigs running web servers as well.
Just add a $12 memory module. As a stop gap, create a swap file.
Quest complete, you gain 200 experience points.

The web server part is only for rig mining stats (BAMT).  It's cgminer that keeps growing in memory size.  I've been watching and I think every-time a thread is idle for 60 seconds and is restarted, it increases overall RAM usage (like the previous thread isn't getting removed from RAM).  I use gpumax, which can have high idle times occasionally....  cgminer starts at 174 meg of RAM for me and currently its using 800 meg, so I think adding another stick of RAM would help, but only by delaying the time it takes for the system to run out of RAM.  If I restart cgminer, then its back to normal mem usage and slowly increases again.

I've been reviewing the command switches and am not sure which one increases the time a thread can be idle before cgminer restarts it... can someone assist me with what switch does that?  I would like to set the thread idle limit to 120 or 180 seconds to see if that reduces my thread restarts (and therefore RAM usage).  I'm on cgminer v 2.3.1f.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
http://pastebin.com/8MDeRMkD
Anyone have any ideas to help me troubleshoot whats happening?

Your machines run out of memory.
It is the job of the linux 'oom killer' to sacrifice one or more processes in order to free up memory for the system when all else fails.

You mentioned those are not dedicated mining rigs running web servers as well.
Just add a $12 memory module. As a stop gap, create a swap file.
Quest complete, you gain 200 experience points.
Activity: 529
Uninstalled version "2.6", deleted the DLL's manually in System32 and SysWOW64 (necessary step going between versions!), then installed this new leaked version.  Deleted my kernel bins in cgminer dir as usual, then launched...

Can't really see any change in performance.  Hopefully this gives ckolivas and the kernel devs something to chew on and progress forward, though.

I'm very confused by the overall driver version thing. Is there a post (on this forum or somewhere else) that clarifies driver versions, OpenCL versions, which versions to use, how to change them and so on? I'm using Windows 7.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Thanks... I don't use the submit-stale option...  When i start it uses about 174 meg of mem, then a couple hours later, its using closer to 400 meg

this is my start script
/usr/bin/screen -dmS cgminer /opt/miners/cgminer/cgminer -Q 2 --api-listen --gpu-engine 700-780,700-780,700-810,700-805,700-820,700-815 --gpu-memclock 240 --auto-gpu --auto-fan --temp-target 75 -I 10 -o http://x:8332 -u x-p x -o http://x:80 -u x -p z

I'm not sure whats going on...

Neither am I. But I can recommend dropping intensity since 10 does not help anything less than a 7970 and consumes more CPU and makes hashrate more unstable. 7-9 depending on card is optimal.  There is a value, beyond which, the hashrate does not go up. 8 for most cards, 9 for 69x0s and 11 for 79x0s (only with export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1 on linux, otherwise again 9).
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Since I've had a few cgminer updates waiting for quite a while, and I've also added another update to the miner.php that some might consider useful, I'll post about it here:

The latest version in my git waiting to be pulled:
https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer/blob/master/miner.h

This adds 3 changes to ckolivas git:
1) Split the devs output tables if there is more than 1 device type
2) A PHP deprecated update for 1)
3) A new option at line 10 "$readonly" that when set to true will force the script to not show any buttons to change cgminer
If it is set to false then it will use the cgminer API command 'privileged' to determine if it should show buttons

Change 3) is useful to force it to read only with true if you want to give public access to the web page but ensure it always is readonly no matter what API access level you set in cgminer
Will merge all this stuff whenever my mining rig is back online and I can actually test any code I commit.
Smiley I just noticed that link was wrong - it points to miner.h not miner.php Smiley
Oh well I'm sure anyone (other than Xiangfu who is also using it other than me) who did want it, they would have worked that out.
The correct link was:
https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer/blob/master/miner.php
Activity: 309
Merit: 250

Yep you really have run out of ram. The only time I've seen cgminer itself waste lots of ram is when people have the submit-stale feature enabled and it caches lots of old work and keeps trying to submit them for extensive outages, creating more and more network threads since there is no upper limit to how long it will hold onto this work and try repeatedly to send them. I guess I should make them all time out and give up in a future version. I don't ever suggest using the submit-stale feature and I also recommend enabling the --net-delay feature. Why does the submit stale feature exist then? Because people asked for it. Nowadays it's redundant in my opinion.

Thanks... I don't use the submit-stale option...  When i start it uses about 174 meg of mem, then a couple hours later, its using closer to 400 meg

this is my start script
/usr/bin/screen -dmS cgminer /opt/miners/cgminer/cgminer -Q 2 --api-listen --gpu-engine 700-780,700-780,700-810,700-805,700-820,700-815 --gpu-memclock 240 --auto-gpu --auto-fan --temp-target 75 -I 10 -o http://x:8332 -u x-p x -o http://x:80 -u x -p z

I'm not sure whats going on...
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
I found a new version of OpenCL (AMD APP, Stream SDK, whatever they want to call it) in a leaked version of a beta driver.  This driver supposedly gives Windows 8 support.  Anyway, I don't give a bleep about the driver, just the OpenCL versions.
amdocl(64).dll       10.0.898.1
opencl.dll             1.2.1.0
898.1 is the sdk that's distributed from driver version 12.2 onwards, but it depends on which OS/combo etc. Having a different opencl.dll I'm not sure what it means.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
cgminer just stopped for me sometime last night... This was the start of a long set of logs at this time:

Code:

Mar 16 04:10:40 skynet kernel: [13242.684124] cgminer invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x280da, order=0, oom_adj=0
Mar 16 04:10:40 skynet kernel: [13242.684129] cgminer cpuset=/ mems_allowed=0
Mar 16 04:10:40 skynet kernel: [13242.684133] Pid: 4022, comm: cgminer Tainted: P         C 2.6.32-5-686 #1
Mar 16 04:10:40 skynet kernel: [13242.684135] Call Trace:
Mar 16 04:10:40 skynet kernel: [13242.684143]  [] ? oom_kill_process+0x60/0x201
Mar 16 04:10:40 skynet kernel: [13242.684148]  [] ? __out_of_memory+0xf4/0x107

I can post all the rest if needed, but figured I would start with the above.
Yep you really have run out of ram. The only time I've seen cgminer itself waste lots of ram is when people have the submit-stale feature enabled and it caches lots of old work and keeps trying to submit them for extensive outages, creating more and more network threads since there is no upper limit to how long it will hold onto this work and try repeatedly to send them. I guess I should make them all time out and give up in a future version. I don't ever suggest using the submit-stale feature and I also recommend enabling the --net-delay feature. Why does the submit stale feature exist then? Because people asked for it. Nowadays it's redundant in my opinion.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Is it possible to lower the memory clocks on the 7970.  Mine keep going up every time I try and reset them lower.

You can only set the 7970 memory 150 lower than the engine clock speed. That's precisely why the memdiff feature exists in cgminer, so add this to your commands:
--gpu-memdiff -150
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Con, Kano

Do you know if anything can be done in cgminer to prevent this crash in aticaldd.dll?  I keep getting these from time to time, but it is always the same offset.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Faulting module name: aticaldd.dll, version: 6.14.10.1703, time stamp: 0x4f3b188e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x001671fa

Faulting process id: 0xb04

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd02bc779abfc0

Faulting application path: C:\Users\admin\Desktop\cgminer\cgminer.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\aticaldd.dll

Report Id: dea2867e-6eaf-11e1-b01a-8c89a5566fbd
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a crash in the driver or sdk code, therefore I can't do a thing about it apart from recommend a different driver version.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
con (or anybody with 7970),

Can you undervolt your 7970 with --gpu-vddc setting?

Thanks
Nope, they never respond.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Is there a way to run the -na command when using diablo kernel?
No. That's a workaround for the diablo kernel when you're using it on a 2.6 SDK that performs terribly (like 25mhash) by default. The poclbm kernel is actually faster than diablo with -na so there is no point.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Since I've had a few cgminer updates waiting for quite a while, and I've also added another update to the miner.php that some might consider useful, I'll post about it here:

The latest version in my git waiting to be pulled:
https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer/blob/master/miner.h

This adds 3 changes to ckolivas git:
1) Split the devs output tables if there is more than 1 device type
2) A PHP deprecated update for 1)
3) A new option at line 10 "$readonly" that when set to true will force the script to not show any buttons to change cgminer
If it is set to false then it will use the cgminer API command 'privileged' to determine if it should show buttons

Change 3) is useful to force it to read only with true if you want to give public access to the web page but ensure it always is readonly no matter what API access level you set in cgminer
Will merge all this stuff whenever my mining rig is back online and I can actually test any code I commit.
Activity: 630
Um ... to state the obvious, unless it's from the AMD website - no one in their right mind should download it.

Edit: however that 898 number isn't new if I remember correctly you can get 898 from AMD?
Comes from Guru3d forums, which has been around for a long time. Sorry, forgot that link to close the loop on where this came from, here:  http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=360108
Jump to: