Pages:
Author

Topic: offline air-gapped electrum - page 2. (Read 331 times)

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
June 01, 2023, 10:26:45 AM
That public key starts with Xpub
The master public key starts with xpub, only if your wallet is legacy.
If your wallet is native segwit (which is the default wallet type, when you generate a new wallet on electrum), your master public key would start with zpub.
Activity: 54
Merit: 15
June 01, 2023, 10:20:51 AM
I use the QR code option for importing created transactions from the watch-only wallet into the air-gapped wallet, and also for importing signed transactions into the online watch-only wallet for broadcasting, i think this option is more user-friendly.

Interesting about scanning the QR code, what do you use the scan it?  Not sure how I would have the airgapped computer read a QR code.
Activity: 406
Merit: 443
June 01, 2023, 10:07:24 AM
Thank you, thought about this after posting the question also.  All makes sense now, the offline wallet always can be 'zero' because its only job is to sign transactions.  It does nothing else.

To understand it more deeply, you need a private key that enables you to sign transaction. That private key in the case of air-gapped was not and will not be on a device connected to the Internet, after you prepare the air-gapped and download electrum, you create a new wallet and get 12 wallet seeds.

from your seed you will get master node that will generate many if child private keys (Xpriv) then you can obtain the master public key (XPUB,) which enables you to manage and generate new addresses, all of which can be controlled by those seeds. This process is generated without the need to connect to the Internet, but if you do it in an environment connected to the Internet, no one will be able to access to your private key. Safely use that master public key in any online environment to check your balance or generate new addresses.

How to obtain it was explained above.

That public key starts with Xpub

Edit thanks hosseinimr93

The master public key starts with xpub, only if your wallet is legacy.
If your wallet is native segwit (which is the default wallet type, when you generate a new wallet on electrum), your master public key would start with zpub.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1031
Only BTC
June 01, 2023, 07:27:26 AM
Once a transaction is created then export the file or texts and from the offline wallet (main wallet) use Tools > Load transaction > depending on your exporting choice go for From File or From Text or one of other two options. Sign the transaction and export it again to follow the same options from the watch-only wallet (Tools > Load transaction > ...... ). Now you will see the broadcast button is active. Finally, broadcast the signed transaction.
I use the QR code option for importing created transactions from the watch-only wallet into the air-gapped wallet, and also for importing signed transactions into the online watch-only wallet for broadcasting, i think this option is more user-friendly.

After creating the tx in the watch-only wallet, you click on the QR code, and you use the offline wallet to scan this QR code, the transaction will be imported into the offline wallet, after signing, you click on the QR code and use the watch-only wallet to scan the QR code, once it is imported into the online wallet, you can now broadcast the transaction to the network.
Activity: 644
Merit: 661
- Leo -
June 01, 2023, 01:57:50 AM
All makes sense now, the offline wallet always can be 'zero' because its only job is to sign transactions.  It does nothing else.
Yes, it can possibly not be in sync with the blockchain cause it is offline. It just signs transactions.

Restore the wallet in an online device using the "Master Public Key". This new wallet (actually it's a same wallet) is your watch-only wallet. You can check balance, get addresses, create transactions. Everything except sign and broadcasting a transaction.
Online watch-only wallets are used to broadcast transactions. It can do everything except signing the transaction, cause you need the master private key to do that.
Offline air-gapped wallets cannot broadcast transactions.

- Jay -
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 3878
Visit: r7promotions.com
May 31, 2023, 10:18:35 PM
You need to have two wallets. One of them should be an offline wallet and the other one should be a watch-only wallet on an online device.
@22bits, to create the watch only wallet go to Wallet > Information.

From the pop up you will know "Master Public Key" of the wallet if it's a standard wallet.

Restore the wallet in an online device using the "Master Public Key". This new wallet (actually it's a same wallet) is your watch-only wallet. You can check balance, get addresses, create transactions. Everything except sign and broadcasting a transaction. Once a transaction is created then export the file or texts and from the offline wallet (main wallet) use Tools > Load transaction > depending on your exporting choice go for From File or From Text or one of other two options. Sign the transaction and export it again to follow the same options from the watch-only wallet (Tools > Load transaction > ...... ). Now you will see the broadcast button is active. Finally, broadcast the signed transaction.

All makes sense now, the offline wallet always can be 'zero' because its only job is to sign transactions.
Yes, the watch-only wallet helps you to check balance and everything else
May 31, 2023, 10:11:33 PM
Thank you, thought about this after posting the question also.  All makes sense now, the offline wallet always can be 'zero' because its only job is to sign transactions.  It does nothing else.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
May 31, 2023, 08:53:00 PM
You need to have two wallets. One of them should be an offline wallet and the other one should be a watch-only wallet on an online device.
The offline wallet is used for signing transactions and the online wallet is used for seeing your balance and transactions history, creating unsinged transactions and broadcasting transaction.
May 31, 2023, 08:37:27 PM
I am a little confused about one point and how this works.  When I set up a 'air-gapped' offline wallet (running off tails for example), how does Electrum know about an incoming transaction?  So say I send the new air gapped .01 BTC, how would it see it to add it to the balance so I could later create a transaction to send it and then get it signed on the offline wallet?
Pages:
Jump to: